• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scenes from the bird room construction

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
These are the three walls to be glassed in. The room is long and narrow (12 x 32)

I'm thinking the entire west and east wall is windows for optimal sunlight, and the north facing wall has a window every other panel (rest is just glass)

east wall 4 windows
eastwallout.JPG

west wall 4 windows
westwallout.JPG

north wall every other panel a window

northwallout.jpg

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I know what it is.....the cathedral ceiling.....that's what makes it look big :D
I'm glad I changed my mind about the flat ceiling!
Absolutely great decision! It grants greater height for the birds to fly as well. :cool3:

Perhaps instead of slider windows, you could look at doing swing outs .. with a handle. The handle would be accessable inside the room, the windows open out. This way, you don't actually have to "touch" the window itself to open it.

You wouldn't have to worry about reverse installing them, or how it would affect resale .. and could keep the wire up. Only the handle would need to be accessed to open the windows.
I think I'm not picturing this correctly, but how can a windows open out, the handles being inside and the wire staying up??

Just a heated and cooled sun room....Emily and Lil Scooter fly in and out at will right now (today was 86 degrees). The others will too.....:D
I would be a fantastic setup for sure, but I'm trying to imagine the AC system and it seems that it could get expensive fast in Florida, or am I overestimating it?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I would be a fantastic setup for sure, but I'm trying to imagine the AC system and it seems that it could get expensive fast in Florida, or am I overestimating it?
double paned glass, insulated roof....

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

TITANIS

:hehe: Titanis, can you tell I really really want this sun room? :lol:
Yes, and I honestly think it's a great idea if the costs are within your budget. Here, that would be a huge expense, but our temperature extremes are crazy from -30 to 90F. :eek:

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
Yes, and I honestly think it's a great idea if the costs are within your budget. Here, that would be a huge expense, but our temperature extremes are crazy from -30 to 90F. :eek:
you get up to 90? :eek:

TITANIS

you get up to 90? :eek:
Yep, but not every year. We usually hit the 80s every year and sometimes get into the low 90s. Some people visiting from the south are surprised that it isn't much cooler than their home. The difference is with the duration of hot weather. We will typically see a few weeks of torrid temperatures tops - not a few months. Big difference. ;)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Neither did I. Actually, I don't believe you can even get these here outside of special order or custom build. :shrug3:

I am going to get a head start running before I say this, LOL - what can I say but it's a 'southern thing'

I remember seeing these types of windows around ever since I was little bitty.

janejacinto

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane Jacinto
On double hung or sliders, all you would need is to reach the locks from inside. Once unlocked you can go outside and open and close. This would keep the value up. Kind of like sliding doors, once open you can open and close from inside or out.
Jane

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
My toos would be soooo happy there. the flight room is so needed for birds to be truely happy..you have done a great job for them..now all you need to do is get rid of the cages!!;)

TITANIS

My toos would be soooo happy there. the flight room is so needed for birds to be truely happy..you have done a great job for them..now all you need to do is get rid of the cages!!;)
LOL, easier said than done. Besides you and Mercedez, I know of only one other person who has done away with cages and she has only toucans. It's extremely difficult and I'm sure you already understand everything involved. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Future sun room project:

What kind of window treatment can I get for this wall?
northwallout.jpg

I need it to be completely covered with whatever ...curtains? blinds?

The sloping edges :eek:
What do people do with that?

How do you get these things to slide along an incline?

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
God I am so jealous!!!! We are buying a summer home in Tampa and I WANT THAT hahahahah

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Future sun room project:

What kind of window treatment can I get for this wall?
View attachment 4585

I need it to be completely covered with whatever ...curtains? blinds?

The sloping edges :eek:
What do people do with that?

How do you get these things to slide along an incline?
Vertical blinds can be installed on a slope.
Slope units

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
Saroj ~ what size are the small windows? We were going to put a window in our room but it came in the wrong and so now we are starting over. I like that size. And absolutely love the photos of the progress, you have a GREAT Room for your fids.