• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scenes from the bird room construction

geekasaurus

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chrissy
thats awesome
im afraid if i ever have a house with a huge bird room, ill never leave said room

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Saroj, wow! i love yu room and flying area! i may be down to FL and stop in for a cup of coffee some morning! i'll leasve my birdie firends at home. they don't always "play well with others!"

pardon my typing-- broken thu,mb -- when my cosin has her hme remodeled in northern indiana the workers gave up waiting for warmer/less cold weather in Feb and framed out the second floorm when it was zero to 10 during the day.
:omg: Barb, you're typing with a broken thumb fo me....that's soooo sweet!
Yes,that would be lots of fun.....we'll have coffee and cookies and play with my guys!!:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
now i'm getting the crazy idea of glassing in the outside with screened windows and putting in HVAC in there......lol. Wonder how much noise and mess there would be......and how long it would take since I would have to stay home so the birds don't get scared....

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
now i'm getting the crazy idea of glassing in the outside with screened windows and putting in HVAC in there......lol. Wonder how much noise and mess there would be......and how long it would take since I would have to stay home so the birds don't get scared....
Hmmm, that is a very interesting idea. Is this a concept for cold weather months?

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
:omg: I just got a great idea! You should build a caique room! :D For just the caiques! :D and you should build a little AJ room connected to the caique room so the second I got up every morning I would be greeted by caiques! :heart: AND I could live in Florida! :dance4: AND Peanut could finally fulfill his dream of meeting Emily. :dancing: I think he has a crush. :hehe:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
*giggle* at A.J. :p

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
AJ over run with caiques......:eek:
caiques on his hair, dangling from his sleeve.....:eek::lol:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hmmm, that is a very interesting idea. Is this a concept for cold weather months?
Well, I'm thinking double paned glass all around,with a few screened windows. THe low brick wall around the perimeter will have to be insulated. THe stainless steel welded wire stays. Maybe the windows will need to be opened from the outside. Detail :D

There's an electrical outlet out there so it can have it's own AC. There's running water as well, and drains in the tile floor.
I would not want to hang out there after dark with lights blazing for the world to see I have parrots :eek:. Oh silly me, I can have heavy curtains all around. :) Never mind.
And the stars can shine in from above.....

Not decided about the ceiling. Do I want a glass ceiling as well, or a real roof?

but with a glass roof will the hawks circling overhead scare them in the daytime? Plus will the FL summer sun beat in mercilessly? Though it is a northern exposure.....

For a real roof we would need a sturdier frame possibly, idk.

Anyways....you asked...is this too much info? :lol:

TITANIS

Well, I'm thinking double paned glass all around,with a few screened windows. THe low brick wall around the perimeter will have to be insulated. THe stainless steel welded wire stays. Maybe the windows will need to be opened from the outside. Detail :D
Then it is for colder days?

There's an electrical outlet out there so it can have it's own AC. There's running water as well, and drains in the tile floor.
I would not want to hang out there after dark with lights blazing for the world to see I have parrots :eek:. Oh silly me, I can have heavy curtains all around. :) Never mind.
And the stars can shine in from above.....
Night time outings?

Not decided about the ceiling. Do I want a glass ceiling as well, or a real roof?

but with a glass roof will the hawks circling overhead scare them in the daytime? Plus will the FL summer sun beat in mercilessly? Though it is a northern exposure.....
That is a good question. You might inadvertently create a greenhouse. As far as the hawks are concerned, do you have a problem with BOP currently? They cannot get into the place now but if your birds notice them it might be stressful to them.

For a real roof we would need a sturdier frame possibly, idk.

Anyways....you asked...is this too much info? :lol:
No not at all. A sturdier, permanent roof might require more significant restructuring and that can be problematic for other reasons. I'm not in construction so only guessing. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I want to make it usable year round....

It will become a living space except I would not leave them out when I am not home, and not during the night either.

I need to get with our contractor again and sound him out on what a real roof entails.

Greenhouse effect :eek:
But you know people DO have glassed in sun rooms. Hmmm, I can call the guys who install those for their input.

There are hawks around.....we may go with an opaquish glass ceiling if we do go glass.

Thanks for brainstorming!

Last edited:

TITANIS

No problem. Let us know what they say. It's a very interesting project, and I agree that you should try to make it usable year round seeing that you live in a region where fair weather can almost be had throughout the year. :cool3:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
see-thru roof will scare them. Especially the Caiques if they're anything like Koko. He only feels comfortable outside (screened) under the covered areas. If I'm in the open area with him all he does is stare up and look for hawks and growl.
So maybe partly covered? or skylights?

Last edited:

janejacinto

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane Jacinto
Like the thought of year round but like that they get all that fresh air and sounds. Then again, if you do this the door can be open and they can go back and forth on their own.

Just a thought, you could get the windows with the shades between the glass. No cleaning of the shades, the birds can not get to them to chew up and they do a great job of blocking out everything.

Jane

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks Martine! :hug8:
Jane, I'd never heard of shades between window panes. Interesting idea!
They will still get fresh air and sounds because there will be several screened windows for good weather.
Our contractor said the frame can handle a regular roof.

This is what it looks like now:

birdroomview.jpg

This is what I want to do with it.
horizon_sunrooms_01.jpg

This company does work in our town too...(Horizon Sunrooms)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
You have some very lucky birdies :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month