• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(sad update) Preparing for a sick Budgie

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww glad you like it!! :) Breighlee! :heart:

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
good on you for saving this little angel :hug8: please continue to post improvement pictures :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: bless your heart..so glad they are both staying with you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That breaks my heart. Poor little budgie. You are a special person for taking her in and helping her. I hope she continues to improve.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking the birds in and helping them. You are doing a wonderful thing for the little budgie (Breighlee) and good news that there is improvement. Keep us updated on her progress.

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Seeing those pictures of her brought tears to my eyes. It isn't fair she had to live this way as if she didn't mean anything. Thank you so much for taking the time to help her so she can live out a normal, happy budgie way of life!

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thank you all for the kind words! I am so pleased that she is starting to show improvement. As for her beak, I have to wait for a woman to come and file the beak. I don't want to risk doing it as I don't have experience with that and would hate to make things worse! But she eats absolutely fine so I don't think she is battling with that :)

@SandraK would you do me the honour of naming my little blue boy? :shy:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a tiny soldier!! :heart: Can't wait to see what you choose, Sandra! :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'll try - could you post a photo of your little boy? :)

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
@SandraK here is my blue boy!

He is not used to me yet so sunk his little beak into my finger in the one pic! Luckily I'm thoroughly used to a Grey's beak so this one wasn't much to handle ;) Although I hate to jump right into handling him before he trusts me, I just cannot risk waiting for this to happen before treating for scaly face and leg. He is not showing signs, but I'm sure there is a possibility he has picked up the mite, which is why I am treating him along with my green girl, Breighlee :)

IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG

And here is little Breighlee, showing signs of improvement every day!!

These are some shots of her from last night and this morning (I am taking pics every day so that I can go back and see just how far she's come, as well as pics of the blue boy to make sure he doesn't start showing signs)

The tip of one of her back toes came off last night, along with the whole claw. It wasn't at all painful as it was just a lump of 'scaly' skin that has obviously been hanging on for a while (please excuse how oily her feathers look. It is just from the treatment. She would never forgive me if she knew I was showing off her beautiful feathers while they are still looking scruffy ;))
IMG_0225.JPG

Her face is looking much better, and she has lost some of the "warts", along with a big one that was over her eye. The skin is still very dry, but I'm sure will start to improve with a bit of TLC and treatment :)

IMG_0220.JPG

Breighlee's other nostril is showing! When I first got her, the skin had completely grown over the one on the left! I only noticed that it was becoming uncovered yesterday
budgie face and beak.jpg

Unfortunately, I think Breighlee's cere is far too damaged to ever be "normal". I'm not sure how this would affect her in the future, and any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to do as much reading as I can as well! Her vent has also cleared up a lot and has only one or two small patches of scaly skin.

I hate to think how much discomfort and pain she was in before she came to me :( I just hope she knows she is getting better and that she can live the rest of her life in a happy, safe home where she will never be allowed to suffer again!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I can't believe how much better Breighlee looks already. You are a miracle worker. :)

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
@GuineaPigster they are doing so well! Breighlee is moving around the cage a lot more, and I think its a lot easier for her to perch as well :) Often she would sit on the floor, I think because her little feet were too sore! Its so sweet though, whenever she was on the floor the little blue boy would go sit with her :xflove: I think I may also be seeing the hint of a cere coming through on Breighlee :D But it could just be the ointment I've been putting on so not getting too excited ;)

Last night they went mad doing their "dusk chorus". They aren't too noisy during the day but I think they're still settling in and I'm taking last night's singing as a sign that they are happy here :D :xflove:

Still waiting on @SandraK for my blue boy's name ;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I apologize, I got stuck in a rut for a name and was looking for something to do with his colour. I came up with Turq (for the turquoise colour of his cere) and, believe it or not, Dig (for the two indigo patches on his cheeks). As for the little one's biting, I've found they sometimes hurt more because they have a pointier beak and don't always let go. :arghh: :arghh: :arghh:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I apologize, I got stuck in a rut for a name and was looking for something to do with his colour. I came up with Turq (for the turquoise colour of his cere) and, believe it or not, Dig (for the two indigo patches on his cheeks). As for the little one's biting, I've found they sometimes hurt more because they have a pointier beak and don't always let go. :arghh: :arghh: :arghh:
:joyful: I like both quite a lot! :)

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Ahh poor little one! Not sure if this will help but I've used Scatt in the past, my vet ordered it for me. Hope she recovers soon! :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thanks @SandraK , I'm quite taken with Dig!! I think it suits my boy!! :D Thanks for the name! They are both doing really well :) Had a "break" from medicine for the day, while I took out perches and took care of disinfecting everything. They came with those calcium perches, which I have read are a breeding ground for bad things. I'm not sure what other people think of them, and whether or not they do/would use them. I'm taking them out for now, I would rather not risk any additional infections/illnesses :)

@Naomi I have read about Scatt, I'm using a kind of "oil" that just says Scaly face and Leg treatment. There was nowhere nearby that sold Scatt, and apparently this stuff is really good anyway :)