• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(sad update) Preparing for a sick Budgie

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Today I was asked if I knew someone who would euthanise a budgie they'd been giving. Apparently, the bird has warts all over her face, as well as a mis-aligned beak, and they thought it would be kinder to put her to sleep. I don't have any other knowledge on the bird, and would just like to get some ideas on what the problem could be. I would like to give the little thing a chance rather than just sending it to be euthanised straight away. I'm going to keep it seperated from my other birds, rather than risk spreading a disease. I thought perhaps scaly face mites? If anyone has any ideas and/or solutions, please let me know! I will post pics for a better 'diagnosis' when I get her :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
sounds like scaley face mites...look at this birds-online.de/gesundheit/gesparasiten/grabmilben_en.htm paste that into your browser...actually you can google it scaley face mites in budgies and lots of sites come up with recommendations of how to treat...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wishing you the best for this little bird in your hands. Just be prepared for anyone with a sick budgie to bring it to you once the word gets out. :)

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Its been 2 days and I still haven't gotten the budgie. Everyday I'm worrying because I know I can try treat her but instead the people are keeping her and allowing her to struggle! I wish they would just let me have her now :( I suppose it is their bird but I just want her to be alright

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I got the budgie this evening. She is not in a good way. She has terrible warts on her face and her feet are twice the size she could be. It looks like she is missing a few claws as well, but its difficult to tell with all the swelling and dry skin. Judging by her beak, I am very worried that she could have PBFD. It is very misshapen and both mandibles have grown abnormally. She is somehow still managing to eat. Her feathers do no look healthy either. Tomorrow I will get her medicine to try treat the scaly face and leg, and see what I can do about her beak. It hurts my heart to see such a little thing in such a bad condition :(

The pics aren't very good quality. I will try get some better ones so it's easier to see. At the moment I'm keeping her in a separate room, and disinfecting my hands and anything else I have used to prevent spreading it to my other birds.
IMG-20140328-00550.jpg
IMG-20140328-00552.jpg

Please let me know what you think. I am just desperate to help the little thing

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aww she sounds and looks very ill. Sorry I have no idea how to help her medically. :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
She does look like she is in a very bad way..hopefully the scaly mites medicine will help..try getting her a platform perch too..you can even make one out of plywood...about 4 or 4 inches thick and running the length of the cage..and put a soft bottom in the cage..poor little thing.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
OMG! That poor sweet baby. I have no comment on the previous owners treatment of the budgie but people could probably guess my thoughts. I so hope something can be done to help, s/he deserves a quality life after previous neglect. THANK YOU FOR HELPING THIS LITTLE ONE.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
Poor little baby, The scaley mites will effect the beak growth like this as well as the issues on her feet, if her feathering is in good condition I wouldn't suspect PBFDV as being a cause of the beak issues but it is worthwhile having her tested if her history isn't known or is vague to ensure the safety of you flock.
I would recommend a vet visit, while the treatment you have for the mites will clear it up she may need a beak trim to help get her on track. Mites are usually a secondary cause to either other illnesses, stress, poor conditions etc...

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Here are some clearer pics of the little lady. She is not too comfortable with human contact so I had to towel her. She tried to bite but can't do much with that beak. I am also planning on finding out more details regarding the backyard breeder she came from. I'm hoping to report them because this is no way for a bird to live. It is absolutely shocking that she was allowed to get to such a bad state
IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My goodness, that is one of the worst cases of scaly face I have ever seen, poor baby. :jawdrop1: :( She is lucky to be in great hands with you now though, sending lots of good thoughts! :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Shame, my little lady has had a bit of a tough day. But she is getting medicine now so hopefully it will relieve some of the discomfort she's in. I will take her to have her beak filed soon, but it looks like it will never be quite right, looks as though her jaw may have been broken at one stage. She is healthy as far as weight goes, so she is obviously not battling to eat, which I'm so relieved about!! Unfortunately I cannot give her time to trust me before I start handling her, she needs treatment ASAP. She was also brought to me with her cage mate, who most probably has scaly face too, but isn't showing signs as they've only been together for about a week or two. The owners want him back, but I will have to separate the two and treat the healthier one as well before I will return him, as I don't want him infecting any other birds.

In the mean time, does anyone have any names for the little green lady?? :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
My budgie's feet are already starting to show an improvement :) The dry bits of skin are falling off, and the feet are looking pinker and healthier! And even more good news, both budgies are being rehomed and will be staying with me :D 2 new additions to my feathered family! :dance4: :heart:

IMG_0062 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww! I can't thank you enough for saving this baby! :heart: She sure is a brave warrior!
Her feet are looking MUCH better!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Emmy for Emerald? :shy: