• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sad Update # 362 Millow vomiting and tired

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Could it be the medication that's making for odd poops?

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's what I was wondering too, I haven't experienced Doxy before, when Blue was sick she was on Enteril and it was two drops twice a day by beak, she didn't get funny coloured poops with it. So it could be the med, but his poop was also a dark green before he went on it with a darker urine component. I showed the vet the piccies I took of it and the comparison with Mstar's. We'll see whether the blood test shows anything additional when the results are back.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
That's what I was wondering too, I haven't experienced Doxy before, when Blue was sick she was on Enteril and it was two drops twice a day by beak, she didn't get funny coloured poops with it. So it could be the med, but his poop was also a dark green before he went on it with a darker urine component. I showed the vet the piccies I took of it and the comparison with Mstar's. We'll see whether the blood test shows anything additional when the results are back.
Thanks for checking in with this. So worried....:heart:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I, too, would ask your CAV is the medication is causing the poop color. I haven't had color changes with meds, but sometimes diarrhea and gas (I'm talking about my birds, really!)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
more prayers on the way!!

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Had a conversation with my CAV they're chasing up a couple of results, there's been a delay for some reason so he called rather than me bring Millow in for nothing. In a nutshell he's happy with the other vet's action and will continue Millow on the Doxy for five weeks as if he's positive for psittacosis. With that in consideration we will be discussing an action plan on Wed when I bring him in for the second shot on putting the rest of the flock on it too. I will also be spending this coming weekend doing a "Virkon" full clean of the cages to ensure any reinfection is minimised of whatever it is. We also discussed the change in poop and he said Doxy would not do those changes so to log the colours etc and he will be doing a further tests to check the liver as that was his hunch with the poop especially with the main colour being a deep and dark green.He was happy to hear that Millow was acting his normal larikin self as a lorikeet and that his appetite and weight were normal also.So it's a wait till Wed for the second shot and then more tests to get to the bottom of it as well as the considerations for looking after the well being of the rest of the flock. Just because they are "fine" now doesn't mean that they are necessarily "well".

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Sounds like you're on top of things and prepared for any and all possibilities, JAM :goodjob:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Had a conversation with my CAV they're chasing up a couple of results, there's been a delay for some reason so he called rather than me bring Millow in for nothing. In a nutshell he's happy with the other vet's action and will continue Millow on the Doxy for five weeks as if he's positive for psittacosis. With that in consideration we will be discussing an action plan on Wed when I bring him in for the second shot on putting the rest of the flock on it too. I will also be spending this coming weekend doing a "Virkon" full clean of the cages to ensure any reinfection is minimised of whatever it is. We also discussed the change in poop and he said Doxy would not do those changes so to log the colours etc and he will be doing a further tests to check the liver as that was his hunch with the poop especially with the main colour being a deep and dark green.He was happy to hear that Millow was acting his normal larikin self as a lorikeet and that his appetite and weight were normal also.So it's a wait till Wed for the second shot and then more tests to get to the bottom of it as well as the considerations for looking after the well being of the rest of the flock. Just because they are "fine" now doesn't mean that they are necessarily "well".
Well, good to maybe have answers and a plan of action, but the cleaning project sounds monumental. And the risk to the others. So sorry.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've done the cleaning project before when we went through the PBFD scare so I have everything I need, it will just be time consuming. The risk to the flock is something we need to take into account and I'd rather be overly wary than not. It's just going to be fun coordinating medicating them all. :-/

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Psittacosis? Why does he think that? Are there other, reputable labs you could use?

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I've done the cleaning project before when we went through the PBFD scare so I have everything I need, it will just be time consuming. The risk to the flock is something we need to take into account and I'd rather be overly wary than not. It's just going to be fun coordinating medicating them all. :-/
Thinking of you. In fact, have been doing so since the day this started. :hug8:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Psittacosis? Why does he think that? Are there other, reputable labs you could use?
He's only being over zealous and going on the initial symptoms, I hope to hear back today about the psittacosis result which I am confident is going to be negative. I really can't see how any of them could have been infected with it unless there had been contact with a wild bird that has it which I am also confident hasn't happened.
I don't mind him being over zealous, I'd rather than than him over look something and we risk losing one or more of our flock.

If there are more issues with the lab and getting the results I will ask if he does have access to an alternative one and suggest using the one our other CAV has or politely suggest that we switch over to the other CAV. I do have a good relationship with him and know that he won't be offended on the suggestion of a second look, he's not that type of vet to think that having a second opinion is criticising his skills.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Psittacosis can make people sick too. I hope you learn soon.
Yes and with step kids around it's not a situation I want to have arise. Given the exposure we've had in this time, I would have thought us humans would have started with symptoms by now? and from the sounds of them, the symptoms aren't exactly subtle so can't be missed.

Cyreen

I can understand being cautious pending lab results, but that really does seem overzealous to assume Psittacosis.

Fingers crossed for you and your flock.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Alrighty, finally an answer it's a negative on the psittacosis as suspected phew! So he's back in tomorrow evening for further tests, at this point I am being guided by the vet, from those of you with a bit more knowledge is there anything I should be asking him? Initially this appointment was for the normal vet with bird experience, but when I spoke to the CAV, he said he was working on the morning on Wed and normally didn't take appointments in the evening, but he would swap our appointment over to him so he can see Millow and assess him/test him personally which is what I wanted.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've taken some poo photos this morning as well as on the day Mills went to the vet and I am really hoping they come out right, so what I might do is post the poop and see what order they come out in then edit this post to add my comments.......bear with me......

Ok, good they came out in order, so from the top is Millow's "sick" morning poop and M-Star's for comparison - they were pretty much done at the same time. I know the photos aren't great, but you can see that for a lorikeet, the composition is fine - they are excessively watery - that's normal. It's the colour that bothers me. Millow's urine bit is obviously darker than M-Star's and the faecal bit it a lot darker.
Now the bottom two is also concerning me in that M-Star's is now looking how Millow's did with a darker urine aspect with dark faecal part and now Millow's is lighter but still has a bit of a wierd colour.

I'm no poo expert so I've been collating information for the vet in addition to the faecal exams but I might take M-Star in with Millow tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm glad you're one nasty test was negative and you got switched in to see the CAV. Concerning that MStar seems to have poops moving in the wrong direction. How worried you must be. Thinking of you......

Cyreen

Very glad the test results came back negative!

I'm not sure how it works with lorikeets, but I know my birds' droppings can vary depending on what they've eaten, how much they've drank and what the temperature is like, particularly when it's hotter outside.