• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sad Update # 362 Millow vomiting and tired

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I hope Millow is back to him/herself soon.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Sending positive thoughts and prayers for the lil darling...:hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I agree he needs to see the vet in the morning.

As for what is wrong, there are just too many possibilities for any of us to guess.

:hug8:

I'll be thinking of you and Millow.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks everyone. :)

The little man was tucked into the extra snuggle I'd given him on his favourite swing and I was pleased to find he was on one leg when I had been checking on him. He actually greeted me with a couple of "hello's" this morning and both of the scalies wanted their cuddle time. I've taken photos of the morning poops for the vet for comparison as Millow's is darker in colour than M-Star's. He's definitely brighter and making his normal morning noises as well as preening but that could be due to the pick me up from the Quik gel I gave him last night.

We are off to the vet in half an hour so hopefully it's something simple like a yeast infection.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This will sound really gross,
But does his breath smell sour? Implying a bacterial problem, maybe some of the wet food had spoiled? Or have their been any recalls on any of the batches you have?

Fingers crossed for him,
I hope his stomach just didnt agree with him
Not gross at all and great thoughts, the vomit didn't smell of anything, it was just really gooey. I will be doing a check with Avione on their batches to see if anything is wrong, I know that a year ago there was a shortage of the product due to quality issues at manufacture point.
I should have tried to save some of the vomit, I am kicking myself for not doing that, as a first aider I know that vomit can hold a lot of answers!!!!!!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh no, JAM! Poor Millow! Poor you! You have all my best wishes for prompt resolve of this. Big hugs and super positive thoughts coming your way. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He's being such a good boy for the vet right now, just waiting on preliminary results.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
:hug8::heart: Fingers crossed for an accurate diagnosis, effective treatment and speedy recovery :heart::hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
all my best wishes for Millow!! :hug8:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He was a doted on by everyone at the vet, the vet nurses all were saying what an unusual colour he was and how sweet and beautiful his temperament is.

I said to the vet he'd pretty much be the only bird out of our flock that wouldn't need towelling and he didn't, he was well behaved. :)
He did really well with all the handling, the only thing he got a bit upset about was the crop sampling and the injection but never at any point did he go to bite or nip, he didn't even squeal, he just wiggled his legs heaps which was his indication he wasn't happy.
The vet suspected yeast, but that wasn't present in his crop sample, there wasn't a clear indication on whether there was bad bacteria in the crop or poop samples so they're being sent off, he took blood as well.
I'd taken a photo of this morning's poop which was done next to M-Star's, I had managed to get them to both do their morning poops on the floor. Millow's urine was darker and his poop part was a lot darker in green.

Even though this vet wasn't avian, he studies with our CAV and takes a big interest in birds, he clearly knew how to handle birds and allowed me to be present at everything he did.
He's given Millow an injection of Doxycycline until the test results come through and we can then establish exactly what treatment pattern is needed.
I have booked a follow up with our actual CAV when he is back next week.

Millow was singing and talking all the way to the vet, on the way back he was understandbly quieter after having been man handled and injected, the poor little mite. He's now back in his cage and crumbling bits of biscuit quite happily. :)

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
:hug8:Thanks for the update, JAM. I know you know this already, but just make sure Millow is well hydrated at all times, until he sees the CAV next week. I'm sure that if the injection helps with whatever he has, that he will continue to maintain his appetite and won't give you too much trouble with eating and drinking. All of my birds are also always quiet and lethargic for a few hours after being handled by the A.V. and having blood drawn. I'm so glad that he seems to be back to his old happy self again. Keep us updated:hug8:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks Sylvia :)

It was his first trip to the vet and compared to M-Star he was an angel. M-Star stresses out so much when she goes that it's getting to the point where I only feel happy taking her if I know she needs to go. Millow in comparison was so laid back about it, he was too busy putting his baby lorikeet face on for the girls at reception. ;)
I've seen him lap a few drops of water and instructed J to make sure he has wet mix and keep an eye on him as I am now at work, being updated on Skype with the occasional video. :cool:

The vet asked if I wanted the Doxy given to him via powder in his water or injection, he said the injection would obviously cost more and I said I'd rather it be by inection because then I know he gets the dose he needs and I don't have to worry about him not wanting to drink because of the taste and dehydrating. :)

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
Hoping the meds and prayers will get him feeling better in a jiffy! :hug8:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I just remembered something funny, when I called the vet last night to book in, I asked after our CAV and got told he wasn't in till Monday and I then said "he's your only avian vet isn't he?" the girl replied "oh we have Linda too, she's Asian" I paused and said "did you say Asian or avian?" she replied "um Asian, do you need an Asian speaker?" I laughed and said "no, I meant AVIAN". The girl was obviously puzzled at why I was possibly asking for an Asian vet as I definitely don't sound Asian with my half pommy half Aussie accent. :D

:rofl: