• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Request for more prominent warning about use of AA in lieu of vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I don't think that people who don't have a vet or have had financial hard times should feel under attack or take anything personally. This isn't about "you" or an attack on anyone, it is just people being sad that a bird died, possibly because she didn't get seen by a vet and feeling emotional about it. If the 911 section is going to be taken away then I do think it would be good if you clicked on 911 but were directed to a large posting that explained that you cannot get a diagnosis on a sick animal without seeing a vet and about how birds hide illnesses well, etc, etc. JMO
Thank you, Vicki. I have not been able to figure out why some are pointing to judgment. I feel awful for the person who lost the tiel. This isnt personal. So please do not take it personal but rather assist with messaging. Vicki says it very clearly. Thank you.

I actually am a bit disapoointed at some of the dismissive posts that are not open to what seems to be a nonpolitical request. Very disappointed at a lot of we can't instead of we can..

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I just want to add that I didn't mean to judge or offend anyone. I am glad that the birds who belong to AA members get the wonderful care and treatment that they do.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Unfortunately not everyone can see it that way and do get very judgmental when someone doesnt follow the advice given and it then drives people off.

Back to the original topic. I think you suggestion and concern is great I am not sure how we can make things more prominent for people to see the 911 section or the stickies in place.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I just want to add that I didn't mean to judge or offend anyone. I am glad that the birds who belong to AA members get the wonderful care and treatment that they do.
I did not interpret your statements as judgmental. Thanks for your contributions.

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
...that bird can not provide itself with vet care. The ONLY one that can do that is the PERSON that has come to this or any other forum for some advice. How you present that advice determines whether that PERSON will read it. If you shove it down their throats, preach at the person or get nasty with them they go into a defensive mode and don't listen to anything you have to say except for the criticism. ... Advocating for the birds has nothing to do with being snarky and nasty to people. It is also easy to say that they shouldnt own that pet in the first place. To late they already do own it and now it needs help not criticism.
I agree, but I really don't believe that this is the type of feedback that Freckles' parront received in their recent Thread. Despite the "shock" effect at the condition of that poor bird, all responses and advice were given in a respectful manner. I do believe that, in the end, the O.P. who admitted realizing that vet care was necessary, had made a vet appointment for today. What remains shocking to me (as I am sure to a lot of you) is the amount of time it took, from the onset of the illnes, for assistance to be sought here on A.A. or for the vet care that was eventually sought for today, which obviously was too late.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
How about under the description on the main page? Can the color, size, font just be changed to be larger?

Unfortunately not everyone can see it that way and do get very judgmental when someone doesnt follow the advice given and it then drives people off.

Back to the original topic. I think you suggestion and concern is great I am not sure how we can make things more prominent for people to see the 911 section or the stickies in place.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yeah, I agree. I read the thread and thought people were respectful, but obviously concerned. People who are new to birds don't really understand how critical it is when a bird looks very ill to get them in. And, I think that it can take some time for people to process that information sometimes. I have worked in pet hospitals off and on for almost 30 years and we used to get frustrated all the time at people who would call for an appointment when their dog had been, for instance, vomiting or not eating for days.

I agree, but I really don't believe that this is the type of feedback that Freckles' parront received in their recent Thread. Despite the "shock" effect at the condition of that poor bird, all responses and advice were given in a respectful manner. I do believe that, in the end, the O.P. who admitted realizing that vet care was necessary, had made a vet appointment for today. What remains shocking to me (as I am sure to a lot of you) is the amount of time it took, from the onset of the illnes, for assistance to be sought here on A.A. or for the vet care that was eventually sought for today, which obviously was too late.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think it should go where all the Sidewalk Sale and Secret Santa stuff goes. In a larger font size though.

Ginger

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for thinking out of the box! And thank you for contributing to this thread. No judgement seen by me.

I think it should go where all the Sidewalk Sale and Secret Santa stuff goes. In a larger font size though.

Ginger

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
In my opinion putting it in a Banner or in Bold Lettering or what ever is not going to stop people from posting in the 911 area that have already made up their minds that they can not afford or are not willing to take their bird to the vet :shrug: THey already see this statement right below Post New Thread in that area
Below you will find a list of discussions in the Bird Emergency Highway 911 forums at the Avian Avenue Bird Forum: Initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available. THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE.

Really what everyone wants is for bird owners to stop doing that and unfortunately it is not going to happen whether we do that or not. All we can do is give them advice and hope they heed it.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I agree Freckles' owner was treated extremely respectfully. After reading the whole thread after the fact , I started this thread to help more like Freckles' mom. The level of resistance to changes in the forum is disappointing and misdirected in my opinion.

And a big thank you to all for contributing to this discussion even if simple change is met with "no, can't do" Perhaps clear level heads will prevail after a nice walk. Because simply saying no is not reasonable.

Last edited:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
In my opinion putting it in a Banner or in Bold Lettering or what ever is not going to stop people from posting in the 911 area that have already made up their minds that they can not afford or are not willing to take their bird to the vet :shrug: THey already see this statement right below Post New Thread in that area
Below you will find a list of discussions in the Bird Emergency Highway 911 forums at the Avian Avenue Bird Forum: Initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available. THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE.

Really what everyone wants is for bird owners to stop doing that and unfortunately it is not going to happen whether we do that or not. All we can do is give them advice and hope they heed it.
yes it is there in very small print and not noticeable

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
No way have I ever sat in judgement of anyone, just pointed out how I saw things and spoke my mind because I felt I had to.
Nobody has had anymore harder times through life than myself and family so know where a lot are coming from, and sympathys with their predicament at this time. When it comes to any pets the cruellest on our planet are humans and more than half the problems are just caused by them. This is the judgement I make from living a lifetime with a large variety of said humans across the board. We have the gold dust and gems who are few and far between I am afraid but they do a lot to help where they can.
It helps immensely to have somewhere to turn to when the chips are down and that goes for our birds and illness also.
The day AA stops doing this wonderful job is the day I walk away. A lot of good advice is given freely on this board and that is how it flourishes the way it does. There is compassion for situations and in times of need and that in my book says a lot.
Nobody is told they have to act on the advice given, it is up to the individual to pick and choose what is most useful to their situation surely.
Hate these threads that leave a bitter taste in my mouth as that is not what we are about. Our birds and other pets are often our lifeline and we do the best we can for them with what we have got.
I for one will still ask for the help that I might need for my birds from the source that saved Leroy's life and that is good enough for me.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
The purpose is not to stop people from posting in the 911 section, the purpose is for them and us to be able to access a list of bird vets quickly. They should be listed by state so the poster can click on their state to see who's available in their area. People here on the forum can recommend vet's they have experience with personally, even if they are not CAV's, because there are regular vets who have bird experience.

Ginger

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Please- what is harm in making it more noticeable? Even if many ignore. Some may see it and think twice. So what is the harm?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I think we have two different requests going on? One to change the font size on the forum description and one for the vet sticky thread to be revised? As far as the font being changed I have asked this question upstairs. I know we have a template that is used so not sure we can do that. As far as the vet sticky thread being revised if someone wants to volunteer to do a new thread that lists them by state you are welcome to start one :) We are all volunteers here and only have as much time as the rest of you :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think it's the same request, a banner with the link to vet's by state to run across the main page and for the vet section to be listed by state to make it easier for people to find a vet in their area. I volunteer to do and monitor the state of Florida.

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I see the list of vets already in place, how do we organize those by state? Doesn't the set up need to be done by a Mod?

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I don't think this thread should be closed, we're still trying to work it all out. And thanks Bonnie for the link. Shouldn't it go in the vet sub forum too?

Ginger

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
My personal opinion is to ask members for vet suggestions. First lists can outdate pretty quick and vets do move. Next, the first hand experience helps one make a decision. Boards such as this helps one think of those things they would not of thought of on their own. Yes, lists are quick. I know in the past one board had a welcome to new comers with brief information. This note would also let the new person know we are not vets and to seek one out before there is a need for one. Tell them where to go to ask about a vet and to establish a repoire. Some do drink when brought to the water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.