• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Request for more prominent warning about use of AA in lieu of vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Dear Administrators of AA

Thank you for the warning at the top of this section that informs people not to utilize this forum as a substitute for avian advice. If the demeanor of a bird changes, if they are bloated, change in poop, not eating, fluffed feathers, etc, then the first thing the owner should do is go to an avian vet or emergency animal hospital. BIRD OWNERS SHOULD NOT RELY ON AA FOR A SUBSTITUTE OR DELAY CARE WHILE POSTING ABOUT THEIR BIRD'S SICKNESS.

This section has great information for the owner of a sick bird. Is there anyway to make the warning up top larger, bolder, underlined? I am saddened by the recent passing of a cockatiel of a new member and by other threads where the owner says a vet isn't an option and turns to an online forum for vet and health advice from non-vets. There is no criticism of AA, just a request for a more prominent warning message. Also, a thank you to all members who try to direct people to a vet and give suggestions for finding, getting to and paying for vet care.

I also suggest that every pet owner identify not only an avian vet in their area but also an emergency animal hospital that takes birds. One should always have this information readily available. I know the stress of needing an avian vet in the middle of the night on a weekend when my vet is on vacation. I found the one animal hosp that takes birds. I wish I had that information on my frig rather than having to call so many places. We all love birds and treasure them , but unfortunately part of having a bird means dealing with having to pay a lot for vet care and not readily having avian vet expertise available.

Thank you for the consideration and a heartfelt hug to those who have lost their birds to illness.

Charlie's and Maximus' mom

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you. Great post. I also think the subforum"list vets here" should be different. It should not be separate threads. It should be one area that is constantly updated and separated by state/country Or at least a sticky could be made consolidating it all for quick reference. If I was on a cellphone for example, trying to find an avian vet, it would be easier to look in one spot than have to scroll through a whole forum.

Last edited:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Add Your Favorite Vets Here - Avian Avenue Bird Forum

Please add vet info to this thread. We should have more robust vet info available.

Carole: just seeing your post. I had same thought when looking at List Here thread.
This thread should be organized by geography for easy searching so people do not need to search through posts.

Last edited:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just my 2¢ -- A bigger bolder message isn't going to be heard any better than the members who respond to these threads suggesting, pleading and begging for the birds to be taken to the vet. I understand your sadness, I've left many of those types of threads with a heavy heart concerned for a poor sick suffering bird.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Just my 2¢ -- A bigger bolder message isn't going to be heard any better than the members who respond to these threads suggesting, pleading and begging for the birds to be taken to the vet. I understand your sadness, I've left many of those types of threads with a heavy heart concerned for a poor sick suffering bird.
I think if the message can be put out in as many different ways and formats the better. I think when someone is spending the time to post with AA members, they should be finding an available vet to go. So it is great that AA members tell the person to go to the vet but it does not hurt to get the message across as loudly as we can in as many formats as we can so a bolder more prominent warning could help. Thanks.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think an avian vet list, by state should be in a banner on the main page of the forum in big bold moving letters, so that when a person comes on in panic that will be the first thing they see.

Ginger

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I think an avian vet list, by state should be in a banner on the main page of the forum in big bold moving letters, so that when a person comes on in panic that will be the first thing they see.

Ginger
I agree, in the meantime I hope AA members start adding to the list of recommended avian vets. Thanks so much!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I totally understand where Your coming from and agree with most everything.BUT I tend to agree with Karen,We could have huge full page flashing warning signs and nobody would pay them any mind:( I will get together with the "Team" and see what can be done:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Can I show you a site that does it by state to give you an idea{heck, where did I see that?}

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have to think about where I saw it, but I want to say it is a thread where when you add a new one, you copy the entire post above you and add yours, so it is a compiling list.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Well even if it saved one, it's worth it, and it gives members a place to quickly refer members looking for help.:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Should think we are wise enough to seek the help of the professionals when it needed surely?
Where it saddens me is the times, and they are often when it is obvious that it is not an option due to the cost that it entails. My arguement is to set up a fund in readiness for some of these times happening as a bird does not have such a long drawn out length of time from showing it is ill to it becoming an emergency.
They are not cheap pets to keep and we need to take the looking after of their health as one of the important priorities when we take one on as a pet.
If the cost of treatment is out of our reach then we are not doing the bird a service by taking it on in the first place? Sorry but what I think I say and hope not to offend anyone but this is how I feel about it all.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Carol,the finding a Vet link,I posted on 12/7/2011 and the Emergency link I posted on 10/17/2009.So info IS here and not that hard to find:hug8:

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Thank you. Great post. I also think the subforum"list vets here" should be different. It should not be separate threads. It should be one area that is constantly updated and separated by state/country Or at least a sticky could be made consolidating it all for quick reference. If I was on a cellphone for example, trying to find an avian vet, it would be easier to look in one spot than have to scroll through a whole forum.
Excellent Idea ...... I do not know if there is a service also but maybe phone in service for avian advice to vet

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Maxsmon ...

I loved your post .. and wholeheartedly agree that the 911 Thread should NEVER be used as a substitute for a vet. Unfortunately, you can make the warnings as big as you want, they could flash neon and have fireworks, but people just don't pay attention, or they see it, but ignore.

Sad truth is .. when a bird is truly ill, people know it needs to be seen by a vet. They're choosing to not take it for whatever reason. They're hoping find a quick/cheap fix thru an online forum. Perhaps there are a very few who just want a little insight before a vet appt., however, I always feel if it's posted in "911" .. it's not a "minor" issue .. it's something major.

There are some things that the 911 Thread can help with .. input, references, past experiences, perhaps a "quick fix" until a bird can get to a vet, but when it comes down to it .. nothing, absolutely nothing replaces a vet.

I think the frustration comes from a thread asking for help with a situation that requires a vet, having a million people say "take your bird to a vet!!" and watching that advice get ignored.

As the old saying goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" .. that's about it in a nutshell. It's one of the reasons I generally stay away from the 911 Thread .. usually it ends in sadness and frustration. :(

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Should think we are wise enough to seek the help of the professionals when it needed surely?
Where it saddens me is the times, and they are often when it is obvious that it is not an option due to the cost that it entails. My arguement is to set up a fund in readiness for some of these times happening as a bird does not have such a long drawn out length of time from showing it is ill to it becoming an emergency.
They are not cheap pets to keep and we need to take the looking after of their health as one of the important priorities when we take one on as a pet.
If the cost of treatment is out of our reach then we are not doing the bird a service by taking it on in the first place? Sorry but what I think I say and hope not to offend anyone but this is how I feel about it all.
I was going to suggest this also but it is going to take more than a few people to run and it could be run non profit also this I think is a excellent idea.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Do we have a top 10 list? You know like a list of things every bird owner should know or do. Things that prepare us for emergencies? Or just like a sticky called parronting 101 with things like:

•Savings account - emergency vet visits
•Emergency kit - for quick evacuation
•First aid kit for general household use
•List vets numbers in a central location (fridge or household note board)

Those of us that have kept parrots a while know or have these things but new folks could benefit from a centrally located thread or forum. Most people don't have the time to do searches through threads. Making it easy for them to start reading beginners info could be useful. If we used one of the flag bars at the top of the home page ( like we do for secret Santa announcements) that could direct emergency or new people to we're they want to go quicker.

This forum is so big and packed with so much info. It can be daunting for a first timer. I know it took me a year to get to know AA well enough before I was truly comfortable. Even now it gets overwhelming and I step back now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.