• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that the Baytril helps. So sorry that this happened to Geralt. Thank you for helping him.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Thank you, @iamwhoiam . I wish there was something I could have done to prevent this, but judging by what the vet said, it would have likely turned out like this no matter what we did, even if they had seen him sooner. This had been an ongoing issue before I got him.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Urg! Horrible situation!! I feel for you. With that new information I'd ask about perhaps putting him on an antibiotic to prevent infection if you let it fall off naturally? I know antibiotics are over used so the vet might reluctant use one just for prevention, but it couldn't hurt to ask. And this situation seems to warrant that. Best of luck to you both. My heart goes out to you.

Edit sorry missed the part he is on baytril. That's good

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It's alright, @Sarahmoluccan . I'd update the first post, but I'm not entirely sure how, as the edit button seems to have vanished.

It's such a tiny dose, though. It's right at the first line of the syringe, and I have to give it to him twice daily for two weeks, though she said once a day is also okay, if he gets stressed and just wants to be left alone. Geralt's such a good boy, though. The minute the vet set him down to prepare the syringe, he tried to scuttle back into the carrier.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did she recommend any type of topical to put on the leg?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Did she recommend any type of topical to put on the leg?
No, she told me not to put anything on it. She said something topical would only make it easier for stuff to get stuck to his leg, and the baytril should be enough to stave off any infections that may or may not arise.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Gosh, I’m so sorry, but I'm glad he’s with you, you are taking great is care of him and your vet sounds very knowledgeable. I have a feeling he’ll come out of this in flying colors.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Gosh, I’m so sorry, but I'm glad he’s with you, you are taking great is care of him and your vet sounds very knowledgeable. I have a feeling he’ll come out of this in flying colors.
Thank you, I really hope he comes out of this without any more issues. Poor little fellow is going absolutely stir crazy right now. :sad5:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
And so is daddy, not knowing and waiting is the hard part. :gbh:to you and your baby. A BIG thank you for all that you are doing

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh Garet! :sadhug2:

You are so conscientious about your birds. I am really sorry this happened to you! Sounds like you have a really wonderful vet though, and I like her advice. Poor birdie.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
And so is daddy, not knowing and waiting is the hard part. :gbh:to you and your baby. A BIG thank you for all that you are doing
Imho, going to the vet was the hardest part. My aunts and mom kept trying to warn me that putting him down might have been the right thing to do. I understand that they were just trying to prepare me for the worst, but that was tough to hear.

Oh Garet! :sadhug2:

You are so conscientious about your birds. I am really sorry this happened to you! Sounds like you have a really wonderful vet though, and I like her advice. Poor birdie.
I really like the vet, too. It's a shame she's only here twice a week, but she was there when we needed her, and that's what counts. She's also the vet who helped me with Ciri when I first got her.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm rooting for Geralt! And please remember to take care of both of you @Garet -- from the doctor, it sounds like it's a wait and see now so remember that that's all you can do for the time being. Worrying won't do any good and it sounds like the vet has Geralt's health and standard of living in mind based on her treatment:sadhug2:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've never been in your situation though some of my tiels had had bad toe bites which went bad. Dr. Scott though just removed the "dead" part, and we treated from there on. Geralt, however is dealing with a leg which has apparently gone bad.

My gut personally, since I don't know all the details & your vet knows Geralt's situation, would be to opt for amputation. From what you've said though that could be more stressful or worse for him so it sounds like a "damned if you do and damned if you don't". Leaving a bad limb on could/would lead to more infection as far as I know but I am not a vet.

Take a couple of very deep breaths and have a REAL "heart to heart" with your vet. This is a tricky question to ask but consider asking her WHAT she would consider in the way of treatment for Geralt if he were hers? My thoughts and prayers will be with you and Geralt. :hug8::hug8:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I've never been in your situation though some of my tiels had had bad toe bites which went bad. Dr. Scott though just removed the "dead" part, and we treated from there on. Geralt, however is dealing with a leg which has apparently gone bad.

My gut personally, since I don't know all the details & your vet knows Geralt's situation, would be to opt for amputation. From what you've said though that could be more stressful or worse for him so it sounds like a "damned if you do and damned if you don't". Leaving a bad limb on could/would lead to more infection as far as I know but I am not a vet.

Take a couple of very deep breaths and have a REAL "heart to heart" with your vet. This is a tricky question to ask but consider asking her WHAT she would consider in the way of treatment for Geralt if he were hers? My thoughts and prayers will be with you and Geralt. :hug8::hug8:
Vet said that amputation wasn't an option for him, unfortunately. She'd have to cut above the knee, through the remaining good tissue, which could send him to shock after operation, if the blood loss didn't kill him. I don't remember the entire conversation, but she said she'd have to have someone there breathing for him and his heart rate would drop to a near-dead state and they'd essentially have to bring him back from the brink, even if they could bring him back.

It isn't just his toe that died, it was the whole foot and a part of his lower leg, basically everything below the band.

There's no infection, just dead tissue that will either fall off on its own, or may be snipped off once she's certain it's all dead. She said that even if she just removed the dead tissue now, there was a chance of him bleeding out. She also mentioned that he likely wasn't in any pain, given how he kept attacking his leg.

We've got him on baytril to stave off any sort of infection until it comes off on its own. It's a really weird thought, but she did not want to put him through surgery. I brought it up a few times, and she consistently told me it was the worst option to take for me.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@Garet ,you are doing a wonderful job with Geralt. No one could do better by him. Please take care of yourself in all this. You need rest and mindfulness to get through this. Anxiety is so hard to deal with and it sounds like you have some strategies that can help, please use them. It's just not possible to be on guard 24 hours per day. Make sure he is as safe as possible, take the water out for a few hours and get some rest.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Maybe you could take a clean sock, or maybe a piece of fabric, and fill it with rice or something? Or maybe get a t-shirt and make a pocket, fill it with something soft and safe? Maybe fabric scraps or cut-up scraps from the t-shirt. Just a few ideas!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Garet ,you are doing a wonderful job with Geralt. No one could do better by him. Please take care of yourself in all this. You need rest and mindfulness to get through this. Anxiety is so hard to deal with and it sounds like you have some strategies that can help, please use them. It's just not possible to be on guard 24 hours per day. Make sure he is as safe as possible, take the water out for a few hours and get some rest.
You love him and care for him and that is worth more than money can buy for some birds. I hope you didn't understand my post to be mean in any way, shape or form.