• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
You love him and care for him and that is worth more than money can buy for some birds. I hope you didn't understand my post to be mean in any way, shape or form.
No no, I didn't think you were mean at all! I was just letting you know the whole situation and what the vet told me. I really wish I could have just gotten his leg removed like you did with their toes. It would be so much easier to just get it done.

Maybe you could take a clean sock, or maybe a piece of fabric, and fill it with rice or something? Or maybe get a t-shirt and make a pocket, fill it with something soft and safe? Maybe fabric scraps or cut-up scraps from the t-shirt. Just a few ideas!
Hmn, that could work. I have a lot of shredded cardboard and stuff laying around. I just need to find a sock for him that he can't get his claws caught on. Thank you for the suggestion!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
My heart goes out to both of you. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts and sending as much positive energy as I can to the little guy. :heart:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you, @iamwhoiam . I wish there was something I could have done to prevent this, but judging by what the vet said, it would have likely turned out like this no matter what we did, even if they had seen him sooner. This had been an ongoing issue before I got him.
Can you even begin to imagine what his life expectancy would have been if anybody else have gotten him? He may be losing his leg, but he would likely have either been put down for it or worse, it could have gone unnoticed by an inattentive owner until infection killed him. Remember this: There is nothing that can happen during his healing that isn't better than what would have happened to him without you.

@Garet ,you are doing a wonderful job with Geralt. No one could do better by him. Please take care of yourself in all this. You need rest and mindfulness to get through this. Anxiety is so hard to deal with and it sounds like you have some strategies that can help, please use them. It's just not possible to be on guard 24 hours per day. Make sure he is as safe as possible, take the water out for a few hours and get some rest.
Agreed. Getting rest and taking care of yourself will make you a better caretaker for him. There are lots of good links in the Special Needs Crossing that will help you prepare for his new needs and keep your mind busy. :cantsee: Special Needs Crossing | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I think he is too frustrated with his collar right now to realize that anything else out of the ordinary is going on, poor guy. I think he'll be so focused on his collar that he'll get used to not being able to use his leg before it even comes off & by the time he is healed he won't think anything of it. So in a way, that albatross of a collar may really be a blessing.

I do think seeing his leg begin to detach and finally come off would freak the heck out of me :scared2: so I would do my best to mentally prepare for that gruesomeness before that time comes, but again, know that it probably won't bother him half as much as it will bother you and that it only means that he is healing. :bluhug: Hugs and strength to you!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Bless you both. My heart is heavy with what I am reading. If it were me in your shoes I would take off the collar. His comfort is important . I pray the antibiotic helps.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Bless you both. My heart is heavy with what I am reading. If it were me in your shoes I would take off the collar. His comfort is important . I pray the antibiotic helps.
I would be worried that he could chew in to an artery and cause a bleed out on his own?

Garet, hang in there. :bluhug:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My first gut reaction was surgery but reading thur this thread it sounds like your vet doing the best she can and if her gut instinct is to not do surgery I'd trust that. Such a difficult spot to be in. You must be worried sick. I'll echo what others have said, be kind to yourself and take care of yourself too. Also know whatever happens that you doing right by Geralt. And Doing everything you can keep to him comfortable in this horrible situation. You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Everyone else has said what needs to be said. So I will just give you lots of virtual hugs and say I wish I could have had a child like you, so thoughtful and caring.:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Can you even begin to imagine what his life expectancy would have been if anybody else have gotten him? He may be losing his leg, but he would likely have either been put down for it or worse, it could have gone unnoticed by an inattentive owner until infection killed him. Remember this: There is nothing that can happen during his healing that isn't better than what would have happened to him without you.

Agreed. Getting rest and taking care of yourself will make you a better caretaker for him. There are lots of good links in the Special Needs Crossing that will help you prepare for his new needs and keep your mind busy. :cantsee: Special Needs Crossing | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I think he is too frustrated with his collar right now to realize that anything else out of the ordinary is going on, poor guy. I think he'll be so focused on his collar that he'll get used to not being able to use his leg before it even comes off & by the time he is healed he won't think anything of it. So in a way, that albatross of a collar may really be a blessing.

I do think seeing his leg begin to detach and finally come off would freak the heck out of me :scared2: so I would do my best to mentally prepare for that gruesomeness before that time comes, but again, know that it probably won't bother him half as much as it will bother you and that it only means that he is healing. :bluhug: Hugs and strength to you!
Well, he could have also found his way to someone else who would have done the same, but I'm glad to have him, you know? I'd go through this all over again, if I had the choice. Geralt really is a sweet little guy, you know?

And yeah, I think it really is the best thing for now. I still want to get him something to put over it, but for now, the cupcake liners seem to be working to some degree. They don't keep him from attacking the cone, but he keeps accidentally sticking his head back in them

Don't even want to know what it's gonna be like to find that his leg is suddenly gone, either, but it's really inevitable at this point. I do know I'll probably never be able to eat a drumstick again after this. :wideyed:

I would be worried that he could chew in to an artery and cause a bleed out on his own?

Garet, hang in there. :bluhug:
Yeah, the vet mentioned something like that. I'm going to have to take him back in when we remove the cone to make sure he doesn't chomp. She said there was a possibility that he could chew up into the healthy flesh and bleed out if we weren't careful.

My first gut reaction was surgery but reading thur this thread it sounds like your vet doing the best she can and if her gut instinct is to not do surgery I'd trust that. Such a difficult spot to be in. You must be worried sick. I'll echo what others have said, be kind to yourself and take care of yourself too. Also know whatever happens that you doing right by Geralt. And Doing everything you can keep to him comfortable in this horrible situation. You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers.
It was my first choice, too. If only lovebirds weren't so small. If he were something a lot bigger, surgery would have been safer to go through. Just the thought of him walking around with his leg still attached like that gives me the chills. This really is like something out of a horror movie at this point, but at least it can't get any worse, as long as he takes his meds.

Gonna go check on him and make sure he's sleeping safe and sound, then try and turn in myself. Ontop of everything else, I think I caught my brother's cold.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Is anyone else besides me in tears? I thought I was a tough ol' bird.

Oh wait. I'm not a bird.

@Garet prayers for you and Geralt.

@taxidermynerd great suggestions!
Not Geralt related but I've cried my tears tonight already. Helped a friend who does rescues, somebody found a budgie/parakeet in their driveway, took it inside and kept it in a box until I showed up. Poor baby was already in rigor mortis, thin as a rake, partly clipped (badly) and has a band which I'm positive is another flipping pet store band. Probably outside too long and exposed to 32 or less temps in the last handful of days. Beautiful little blue/green/yellow boy - I was so upset and angry. I tried and so did the Good Samaritans who found him and tried.

Garet, you are doing everything you can for a fid who wasn't properly taken care of. Take care of yourself too (and maybe give your mum a hug and a thank you for "humouring" you).

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Not Geralt related but I've cried my tears tonight already. Helped a friend who does rescues, somebody found a budgie/parakeet in their driveway, took it inside and kept it in a box until I showed up. Poor baby was already in rigor mortis, thin as a rake, partly clipped (badly) and has a band which I'm positive is another flipping pet store band. Probably outside too long and exposed to 32 or less temps in the last handful of days. Beautiful little blue/green/yellow boy - I was so upset and angry. I tried and so did the Good Samaritans who found him and tried.

Garet, you are doing everything you can for a fid who wasn't properly taken care of. Take care of yourself too (and maybe give your mum a hug and a thank you for "humouring" you).
;________; Nooooooo, poor baby! At least he had someone care for him in the end.

And I know, I'm supposed to be asleep, but I was worried and had to check on Geralt after I heard him moving and this is what I saw;

(Sorry about the hair, my dog's shedding). Going to try to actually get some sleep now that I know what the noise was, just had to share this goober.

ETA: He wasn't wearing one when he went to bed. They were scattered all over the floor of his cage.

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Geralt, are you turning in to a table lamp? You silly thing!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2: So sorry you have to make this tough decision. It sounds like you are doing absolutely everything you can for little Geralt though. My thoughts are with you both.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
;________; Nooooooo, poor baby! At least he had someone care for him in the end.

And I know, I'm supposed to be asleep, but I was worried and had to check on Geralt after I heard him moving and this is what I saw;

(Sorry about the hair, my dog's shedding). Going to try to actually get some sleep now that I know what the noise was, just had to share this goober.

ETA: He wasn't wearing one when he went to bed. They were scattered all over the floor of his cage.
Geralt, are you turning in to a table lamp? You silly thing!
I think Gerault may have had a relative in the last contest! :hilarious:

And I tried to wipe that dog hair off of my phone!

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think I can add anything except my well wishes. You're doing such a good thing for Geralt, and I hope he feels better soon.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Still has his leg this morning, still going strong and fighting with me every step of the way, especially when I help him clean his butt since he tends to drag his feathers through the dirt thanks to that cone. At least he's good with his baytril once he remembers how yummy it is.

I hope this all turns out well..I would ask the vet for some metacam ,,for inflammation and pain ,,,it'll help him sleep.
I asked her if he needed pain meds while she looked at his leg, and she said no. If he shows any signs of being in pain, I'll bring up metacam for sure.

I think Gerault may have had a relative in the last contest! :hilarious:

And I tried to wipe that dog hair off of my phone!
Hah, I rememember that lamp! I think he's been taking fashion advice from too many owls.

:p I tried to wipe it off my phone, too, then realized where it was, so you're not the only one. Around this time of year, he sheds like crazy.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think it takes a couple of weeks for a leg to wither and fall off.