• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red tailed Boa snake. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Actually, I don't care where Boas come from ;). And my comment was to release them (meaning in their natural habitats) - "if not considered cruel".

IMO, if snakes cannot be fed humanely-raised and humanely-killed creatures (after these food items have lived a lengthy, decent & fairly normal lifespan) then snakes should not be allowed to be kept as pets or bred by whomever simply feels like it or by whomever gets a kick out of it or by whomever is in it for profit. They should instead be admired in wildlife films and possibly in Zoos (if the food items in the zoos have also been raised humanely). I feel this way about all predatory type creatures (not just snakes) that depend on us humans being cruel to other creatures by dropping them into enclosures/pens/etc. with no chance of escape. I personally hope the "hobby" is banned - sooner the better. JMO.

I better get back to talking about birds (lol), as talking about this issue usually proves out to be a waste of my time. I guess I keep finding myself commenting because I continue to hope that something I say will get to the hearts of some snake keepers/breeders (even if just one) and he/she/they will maybe find another hobby where no prey animal will suffer and die a horrific death (even if death if rather quick in most cases).
Alot of snakes are fed frozen animals that were human raised and humanely killed. All of my snakes are fed frozen animals and I have only used live to get them to eat frozen. And once snakes are banned it is just a matter of time before they come after birds. I know it is your opinion but this is my hope to try an educate you that all predatory animals aren't bad alot of them are fed animals that were pre-killed and breed for this reason.
Now back to helping John with his boa:D

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Thank you everyone for your quick response and knowledgeable help for John and this abandoned pet

:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
PTB I understand how you feel. Someone I used to work with had snakes herself and also told me how her friends fed rats to their snakes by thumping them on the head to knock them out and then put them in with the snake. In the wild the food chain is understandable but thinking about something being put in a cage defenseless to be eaten bothers me too. Logan, thank you for letting us know they actually do sell rats etc that are humanely killed for food, I feel better about that, although I dont know how many people think that far but obviously a lot of us do. :hug8:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
PTB I understand how you feel. Someone I used to work with had snakes herself and also told me how her friends fed rats to their snakes by thumping them on the head to knock them out and then put them in with the snake. In the wild the food chain is understandable but thinking about something being put in a cage defenseless to be eaten bothers me too. Logan, thank you for letting us know they actually do sell rats etc that are humanely killed for food, I feel better about that, although I dont know how many people think that far but obviously a lot of us do. :hug8:

we had a neighbor in the military that would feed live rabbits. I used to get so upset. I understand they have to feed them but live, I could not do it:(

Chewy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
Some snakes won't eat them if they are alive. There was a snake that I was responsible for feeding. Ididn't do it too well lol. I would rescue it the next morning as it's standing ont he snakes head cleaning itsself. My boss called me and told me I was not to feed the snake ever again (NO PROB there) but the reason was was because she thought the rat was dangerous. It jumped out of the cage at her, I used to walk around with him on my shoulder. I was told to find it a good home then lol.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
wonder how long it was going to take John to get there and get this baby?

hoping to hear something soon

:hug8:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Thanks for the understanding comment Pat.

Logan, your "education" attempt didn't work - it didn't inform me of anything I haven't heard before. Sorry, better luck next time.

Humanely killed is one issue, humanely raised with a decent lifespan are other issues, etc. ... "Humanely" can mean different things to different people. I won't attempt to get into all that but instead I too wish John the best of luck in helping out the abandoned snake.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Humanely killed is one issue, humanely raised with a decent lifespan are other issues, etc. ... "Humanely" can mean different things to different people.
Boy isnt that the truth? OK back to not feeling good about this. :lol:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I talked to a "snake guy" from an exotic pet place. He is going with me this evening to pick up the snake. He supposedly has a number of snakes of his own and is going to take it home. He has some dead mice to feed it (don't know how he killed them??) and is going to bring them along.

I told the landlord to give the snake a bowl of water at least for now. He didn't sound very thrilled to have to put it in there. (go figr).

I have not seen it yet but I am told it is in a 20ish gallon aquarium so it must take up the whole thing without much room to move.

The snake guy also said 8 days is not too bad without food but he would need some water. There is no heat other than room temperature and nothing else in the aquarium. So we wait until tonight and take it from there.

The basement suite was being rented by a young couple (18 and 19 years old) that had a fight and broke up. They both just took off and left everything, furniture, clothes, dishes, everything.

The biggest snake I've ever handled was a little garter snake about 12 inches long and an inch thick. This should be quite an adventure. I'll let the snake guy handle the head and i'll stick with the tail. Oyyyyy!!! :(

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Well John it should be quite an experience. I am thankful you are helping the snake out, not that I would expect any less from a guy who helps ducks cross the road safely. :D Just boggles my mind how people leave a living thing helpless and alone, it just breaks my heart.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
wow, a 20 gal tank is not that large, esp for an 8 ft snake

glad you found some help with a little experience

let us know how it turns out tonight, I will be watching to be sure you made it out of there :D

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
That poor snake stuck in a 20 gallon I feel so horrible for it right now. I am glad to hear you have some experienced in snakes coming with you. I would wear clothes you dont mind getting dirty if you plan on handling the tail because if he get irked enough he just may poo on you and that is no fun:hehe:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It would be better to wait to feed it until its been moved to where ever its going to stay. Moving them after feeding can sometimes cause them to regurgitate, and trust me when I say there is nothing that smells worse than a partially digested rodent :gag: You'd also want him to have been at the proper temperature (if they are too cold, he likely wont eat anyway, but they need to be at their proper temp to digest properly also).

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Good points Jill. I dont know a lot about snakes but I did learn some from the person I worked with. They are intelligent creatures.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It would be better to wait to feed it until its been moved to where ever its going to stay. Moving them after feeding can sometimes cause them to regurgitate, and trust me when I say there is nothing that smells worse than a partially digested rodent :gag: You'd also want him to have been at the proper temperature (if they are too cold, he likely wont eat anyway, but they need to be at their proper temp to digest properly also).
Good info. Thanks!!

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
With regards to the boa...

A heat source is needed, preferably an undertank heater. You want temps of about 95* on one side, with temps no lower than 80* overall. Drafts and cool temps can cause respiratory infections in boids.

Water bowl should be large enough to drink from. Offer frozen and thawed first. If the snake won't take f/t, then be prepared to offer live, but do so with EXTREME caution. Live rodent can severely injure a snake.

A rodent is a whole and complete meal for a snake- you do not need to offer supplements of any kind.

We keep our snakes on aspen litter and like it. It's absorbent and boids make very large poops. You want something that will absorb.

Also agree... we have a two people needed rule for any snake over 6'. Never let them get close to your neck, as a boid is incredibly powerful and more than capable of knocking an adult out or killing them if it got a coil around the neck.

Don't worry about the time... a boid of that size need only be fed every 2-5 weeks, and I'd offer extra-large rats (2-3 weeks) or small cavies/rabbits (4-5 weeks).

Last edited by a moderator:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Sounds like fun John! Do you hang a sign out that says if you find an abandoned animal in your rental unit I will come save it? LOL Good luck!

Keet

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Chelsea
IMO, if snakes cannot be fed humanely-raised and humanely-killed creatures (after these food items have lived a lengthy, decent & fairly normal lifespan) then snakes should not be allowed to be kept as pets or bred by whomever simply feels like it or by whomever gets a kick out of it or by whomever is in it for profit. They should instead be admired in wildlife films and possibly in Zoos (if the food items in the zoos have also been raised humanely). I feel this way about all predatory type creatures (not just snakes) that depend on us humans being cruel to other creatures by dropping them into enclosures/pens/etc. with no chance of escape. I personally hope the "hobby" is banned - sooner the better. JMO.
I am guessing you are vegetarian.

Many people keep snakes, myself included and most people feed humanely killed appropriately sized food items. My baby corn snakes could no more eat a fully grown mouse or rat than my parakeets could. As far as this snake goes, make sure he/she has water and don't worry too much about feeding. An 8 foot snake can go a VERY long time without food. I would recommend moving him or her to a much larger enclosure, using an under tank heater to get temperatures on one side of the tank up into the high 80s and then after about a week of letting it settle in offer it food. One appropriately sized (that is no larger than the width of the snake itself) food item, probably a frozen/thawed rat should be fine. Make sure you use some sort of substrate like aspen to keep the snake directly off the UTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.