• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red tailed Boa snake. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
The snake guy called me and gave me a number for someone who has a snake rescue in the city (who knew?). He was not home tonight so I will call him tomorrow to set something up to rescue this snake. The snake guy said the snake will be ok until we can get there tomorrow. The landlord gave the snake some water in a bowl but did not see the snake take a drink while he was watching.
this is great news John, let us know how it goes tomorrow

:hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great work John :) Im glad you were able to find someone to help the snake and I hope that he turns out to be okay.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Great news John, keep up the good work!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well the saga is getting complicated now. The landlord does not want to let the snake go just yet. The tenants owe rent money. He wants to be able to collect it from them so he doesn't want to get rid of their snake until he knows for sure they don't want it. If so then he wants to "sell" it to get some of his money back (selfish SOB).

I told him I would take the snake to a rescue and that they will look after it in case the tenants want it back and they could get it from there. He said he'd think about it and get back to me. So I wait and the snake suffers. Did I say the landlord was an SOB??? :(

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no :( Surely the snake will not do well long-term like that (Im sure you know this). Even when healthy, large snakes can be difficult to sell (at least around here). Cant he just take them to collections, court, etc? I hope he will come to his senses and let you get it to the rescue where at least it can be cared for in the interim.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Oh no!!!!

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
I told him I would take the snake to a rescue and that they will look after it in case the tenants want it back and they could get it from there. He said he'd think about it and get back to me. So I wait and the snake suffers. Did I say the landlord was an SOB??? :(
It might be time to just get animal control involved and tip them off that an abandoned pet snake is there and then hopefully they would facilitate the removal. This is assuming of course that they would actually want to help the snake and not just take it and destroy it.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
John, did you actually see the snake?...I'm still wondering how it's fitting into a 20gal tank!

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
That's just... ugh. When will people learn that you really can't make a profit selling animals? At best you break even if you're actually caring for them properly. Large adult snakes need special care that few are able and willing to provide, and those that can usually know enough that they're not going to pay for a snake that may be sick and need $$$ in medical care since it apparently has been inadequately cared for to date guessing from the cage size. I'm glad you're advocating for the snake! It sounds like he needs one.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
That poor snake! He doesn't need this now I hope that SOB gives in and lets you get the snake to the rescue it needs good care that I am sure the landlord isn't providing. Would animal control helpat all or would they hurt the situation more and want to euthanize?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

It might be time to just get animal control involved and tip them off that an abandoned pet snake is there and then hopefully they would facilitate the removal. This is assuming of course that they would actually want to help the snake and not just take it and destroy it.
Great suggestions!

I dont think its right or maybe even legal for a landlord to WITHHOLD a PET! I think animal control can def. get involved.

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Oh noo! I'm sorry, John :( I too would call animal control. I wonder if the land lord could be charged with animal neglect and abuse since HE is now technically the owner and the snake is in such horrible shape and the land lord has yet to bring it to a vet....I mean, he is making the decision to keep it, so he IS the owner now in the eyes of the law I believe....

That land lord needs to realize that no one is going to chuck out money for a possibly sick adult boa when they could go to places like craigslist and find a healthy one for free.

I hope this works out for the poor snake :(

That's just... ugh. When will people learn that you really can't make a profit selling animals? At best you break even if you're actually caring for them properly. Large adult snakes need special care that few are able and willing to provide, and those that can usually know enough that they're not going to pay for a snake that may be sick and need $$$ in medical care since it apparently has been inadequately cared for to date guessing from the cage size. I'm glad you're advocating for the snake! It sounds like he needs one.
I couldn't agree more.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have not seen the snake yet. The snake is not sick as far as I know. It's just not eaten in at least 10 days now.

I talked to this landlord again tonight. He is not having any luck locating and talking to the owner of the snake. I guess the young girl of the couple is the actual owner. The LL is starting to bend a little after I worked on him for a while. He was looking on the internet where it told him the snake could be worth as much as $1600. Then he saw others selling similar snakes for $400-$800. I think that's when the money signs started flashing in front of his greedy face. Is he correct on the price or is he reaching for the sky??

I got him to shine some big lights on the snake to help warm him up and he gave him a bowl of water. He said after a couple of hours under the lights that the snake started to perk up and start to slither around.

I was talking to the snake guy who also suggested animal control get involved and that they would eventually turn the snake over to the same snake rescue I was given the number for. I called that rescue twice today and got no answer. I left a message on the voice mail so hopefully somebody will get back to me.

I'm not giving up on the snake and will keep trying until the snake is rescued or the SOB LL gets rid of him somehow. Poor snake!! :(

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I know in my area you'd be lucky to get $200 for a red-tailed, and that's IF it comes with appropriate housing, heating, etc. One of my friends got one for free because it's previous owners couldn't find anyone to buy it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I know in my area you'd be lucky to get $200 for a red-tailed, and that's IF it comes with appropriate housing, heating, etc. One of my friends got one for free because it's previous owners couldn't find anyone to buy it.
That is what I figured and wanted to hear. I'm going to use that in my argument tomorrow. He's not going to have a lot of time to sell it anyway because I'm going to tell him if he doesn't give me the snake I'm going to sick animal control on him.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
For an ADULT 8ft snake with NO proper housing, heating or anything, I wouldn't pay more than $100..

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thanks for the update and for being persistent

I really don't think that he can hold a living thing ransom for rent

at least he gave it water and some heat

let us know how it goes

:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
John you are doing great. Keep up the good work. That poor snake doesnt deserve to be held hostage. At least he did do the water and lights. I think the heat is really important.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The guy called me this morning and said he talked to Michelle from the rescue late last night. He is going to give the snake to them either today or tomorrow. I'll try to get over there and take some pics if I get the chance.

That is the best place for the snake. The young girl that owned it has no clue how to look after it anyway as far as I can see and I really don't want her to get it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.