• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red tailed Boa snake. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I just found out about a snake that has been left in a basement suite by tenants that have moved and just left it there. It has been there for 8 days in a glass aquarium. The snake is about 8ft long.

I know nothing about snakes and would appreciate any advice to help this snake.

I know snakes don't need to eat every day but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Help please.

Last edited:

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I do know they need heat lighting or rock, and they need water! You could get mice also to see if wants to eat! Is there a rescue place around you that takes in snakes?

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
we have a few Roadies with herp experience, let me see if I can find anyone

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you gg. My first concern is can I pick this snake up and handle it without dying?? Me that is!! :D I will be going over there later today to see what's going on.

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
lol John,
I can say they don't have poison! but aas far as squeezing you to death...take a friend with you! :rofl:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I pulled this link from another thread, it may help you until some folks show up here -

HerpNation

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Make sure he has some sort of heat source, like an under the tank heating pad preferably. Make sure he has water, usually in a tub, like a plastic toat.

Feeding: if you feed live, he can not be left unattended, he will eat a large rat. Or I prefer frozen but since this guy has been without food and water for you don't know how long he may be weak and you might want to start out with a frozen rat, that has been left out at room temp.

I would not recommend handling due to the size, I always have a spotter with me when handling a snake as tall as me with is 5'2".

I recommend also calling some sort of reptile rescue because I don't know how big that tank is but there are not many tanks that are big enough for an eight foot snake. There is a good chance he has some bacterial infections or something that will need to be taken care of as well as a different and proper enclosure.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks. I better do some quick reading!! :D There are no snake rescues around here that I know of. I will call some exotic pet places to see if they know of any.

Now I just need to find a rat!!! Maybe I'll feed him my neighbor. He's a rat, literally!!. :D

Last edited:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Personally hoping no poor lil mouse or rat etc. will be dropped into it's cage - with no chance of escape.

Our local zoo here has a reptile "surrender" day or two per yr. where anyone can take an unwanted snake/reptile and hand it over. What they do with these reptiles I have no idea. So, maybe call your local zoo and see if they want it or can put you in touch with someone who does. Then there is the option of snake-skin shoes = lol (just kidding). As much as I think snakes should not be kept as pets, I would not kill one. :)

If I were in your shoes, my first choice would be to send it to someone who could release it into the wild (some place where that is legal of course), where it can find it's own food - if that is not considered cruel.

Good luck J.L.C.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Thanks. I better do some quick reading!! :D There are no snake rescues around here that I know of. I will call some exotic pet places to see if they know of any.

Now I just need to find a rat!!! Maybe I'll feed him my neighbor. He's a rat, literally!!. :D
mmmm...... your neighbor may be a little too large :rofl:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
John, you have gotten good info.
When you pick the snake up you want to grasp quickly behind the head so he cannot bite. Red tails are actually pretty nice snakes but you don't know his history. You can keep him in hie tank to transfer or put him in a pillowcase and twist and tie in a not. He will settle down in this.
A heating pad under the cage is correct or a ceramic heating bulb on one half of the cage.
Large water bowl or tub is correct.
Offer a rat-dead. run it under warm water to give it some heat and attract the snake. You can try putting it right in front of him in the tank. If he refuses use forceps and dangle at his nose.
Notice if his eyes apear cloudy, if so he is in a shed and may need to be soaked. He might not eat till he sheds.

Prince Toasty Buns bos cannot be released into the wild. Canada is not a natural habitat and it would die if not first caught and destroyed.
Notice if he has drainage from nostrils, if so he needs an exotic vet.
8 feet is a big snake but he may very well be tame. Use caution till you know his personality.
Locate an exotic vet and call and ask about a herpe rescue in your area.

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Good luck John..do you have your affairs in order? :lol: just kidding..you'll do fine. Poor snake..another example of rotten people.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
"...............Prince Toasty Buns bos cannot be released into the wild. Canada is not a natural habitat and it would die if not first caught and destroyed............."
Excuse me Judy, I guess I was not clear enough with my choice of words or lack of additional words to more fully explain to everyone what I was meaning. I did not say nor did I mean to suggest releasing it in Canada or anywhere where the climate did not suit it as well as in it's homeland/natural habitat. That is why I suggested sending it to someone who could release it where legal & where it could find it's own food (I meant yr. round, not only when weather is good).

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Oh Dear! I know I'm the "super cautious" type...but really, I don't think I'd handle a snake this big without experience...heck, I wouldn't handle any snake...:o:....but do be careful!

Shadera

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Shadera
Just an FYI. They have teeth and will bite if the previous owner fed it in it's own tank.
False. I have about 50 snakes, including several boas, and they are all fed in their enclosures. I experience none of that old wive's tale. Most of my animals are as tame as any puppy.

Excuse me Judy, I guess I was not clear enough with my choice of words or lack of additional words to more fully explain to everyone what I was meaning. I did not say nor did I mean to suggest releasing it in Canada or anywhere where the climate did not suit it as well as in it's homeland/natural habitat. That is why I suggested sending it to someone who could release it where legal & where it could find it's own food (I meant yr. round, not only when weather is good).
It's a captive bred animal. Even if what you suggest were feasible (do you know where boas come from?), which it's not, that would be cruel. Snake owners have been in the fight of their lives for the last year plus to save our hobby because officials are convinced people are turning them loose to take over the world. Let's be responsible.

Your best advice so far is from greycloud, John. If you like, you are welcome to my phone number and I will see what I can do to get you hooked up with a herper up north who can help you out if you want to keep the boa, or find someone to take it if you don't. I know several very knowledgeable boa people, and have connections to many more. PM me if you want the help, as I am rarely on the forums to check threads.

Last edited:
M

M.C Bird Rescue

John,

If you need more infor feel free to contact me on Facebook or on private message here. Some of the issues you may deal with is feeding, handling, mouth rot , resp. infections, housing, size, aggression, and if the snake has been fed in its environment.
If you need any help just ask...Unfortunatley these guys grow very large and can eat your toos. EEEK!
Just ask I am here if needed.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
"..............It's a captive bred animal. Even if what you suggest were feasible (do you know where boas come from?), which it's not, that would be cruel. Snake owners have been in the fight of their lives for the last year plus to save our hobby because officials are convinced people are turning them loose to take over the world. Let's be responsible........."
Actually, I don't care where Boas come from ;). And my comment was to release them (meaning in their natural habitats) - "if not considered cruel".

IMO, if snakes cannot be fed humanely-raised and humanely-killed creatures (after these food items have lived a lengthy, decent & fairly normal lifespan) then snakes should not be allowed to be kept as pets or bred by whomever simply feels like it or by whomever gets a kick out of it or by whomever is in it for profit. They should instead be admired in wildlife films and possibly in Zoos (if the food items in the zoos have also been raised humanely). I feel this way about all predatory type creatures (not just snakes) that depend on us humans being cruel to other creatures by dropping them into enclosures/pens/etc. with no chance of escape. I personally hope the "hobby" is banned - sooner the better. JMO.

I better get back to talking about birds (lol), as talking about this issue usually proves out to be a waste of my time. I guess I keep finding myself commenting because I continue to hope that something I say will get to the hearts of some snake keepers/breeders (even if just one) and he/she/they will maybe find another hobby where no prey animal will suffer and die a horrific death (even if death if rather quick in most cases).

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
8 days isn't a very large amount of time for a snake being alone so you shouldn't be too worried. If he is aggressive then I would try and transport him with his cage if possible if not you will need to proceed with caution because an 8ft long snake can give you a nasty bite. I personally would cover his head with a towel and then grab him right behind his head and place him in a pillowcase or somehting similar that is made out of fabric. While you have control over him see if you can feel ribs his bones to get an idea on his weight. Once you get him get an enclosure that is around 85-90 degrees F you can use a heat pad or lamp just no heat rocks! Get a large conbtainer for water and place part of him in it so he knows it is there and let him be for a little while. Look at his eyes if it looks like there is a little indentation in them mist down his cage an increase the humidity also if he looks really dull and foggy eyes this also needs an increase in humidity. Check to see if there are any mites or ticks on him this can usually be seen pretty easily and can be common if feed live food. Is he breathing with his mouth open? or is there discharge from his nostrils? I would also not feed him for a few days and just let him settle in maybe feed him on the weekend and I would try frozen first. Just run the rat in the bag under hot water and make sure it is fully thawed. And letting it loose anywhere is not an option. If you have any question PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.