• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red tailed Boa snake. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay guys, lets try and focus on trying to help John with this snake. Everyone is entitled to their feelings on the practices (pro or against) keeping snakes and how we deal with feeding them, but lets try and keep John's thread on track to give him the information he needs to help this boa.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Most frozen and thawed rodent are euthanized humanely utilizing gas in procedures that have been used for years by labs. It's a far better way to check out than the death most wild rodents would have.

For that matter, how you feel releasing a captive bred snake into the wild, even in its native habitat, is less cruel than feeding humanely-euthanized rodents is well beyond me. Many captive bred snakes lack the temperament and capability to survive in the wild. In a case like that, releasing the animal would be a death sentence.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I just found out about a snake that has been left in a basement suite by tenants that have moved and just left it there. It has been there for 8 days in a glass aquarium. The snake is about 8ft long.

I know nothing about snakes and would appreciate any advice to help this snake.

I know snakes don't need to eat every day but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Help please.

OMG!:omg:

I didnt know you knew someone who also had a red tail boa that was 8 ft. I apologize for my joke I made earlier. I also have a 8ft long RTB.:hug8:

John are you thinking of taking in this poor snake?

I recommend you to:

ball-pythons.net

and

repticzone.com

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ok lemme answer the basics that com e into mind:

1) Size of tank: minimum should be a 125, 6ft long, 20" wide and 30" tall.

2) Heating: Under tank heating pad, the biggest you can get for this size tank. And two 100 WATT lamps, put right next to eachother on ONE end of the tank. HEAT on the hot side should be about 86-88 degrees, and on the cool side should be 75-78 degrees.

3) HUMIDITY? Should be about 55-65%

4) A hide or somewhere for your snake to hide away at on each side of the tank.

5) diet? This snake will need 1-2 large or JUMBO rats or a small rabbit.

6) OUR SNAKES ARE ALWAYS AND WILL FOREVER BE FED INSIDE THEIR TANKS!

We have 3 snakes here.

My ball python:heart: Chester, is 4 years old this August, he eats both live and unthawed (but warmed in hot water) mice, gerbils, hamsters, small rats. He doesnt mind unthawed, but prefers live.

Ivan our 4 y.o (this august) corn snake doesn't know how to constrict and kill his meals under 15 seconds, so he doesnt get live. He gets frozen/unthawed mice, small rats, whatever is available/

LILY, our very docile, gentle, 6y.o SNUGGLY 8ft long COLUMBIAN red tail boa, will ONLY eat UNTHAWED food, it cannot be alive:rolleyes::highfive: She eats rabbits of any size and large rats and jumbo rats.

It's a captive bred animal. Even if what you suggest were feasible (do you know where boas come from?), which it's not, that would be cruel.

I dont think it'd be cruel. .infact still up to 50% of captive snakes are wild caughts and captive hatched (eggs stolen from the wild and hatched in captivity). Snakes would welcome their wild land very warmly, I think. They wouldnt have much fuss at all.

Actually, I don't care where Boas come from ;). And my comment was to release them (meaning in their natural habitats) - "if not considered cruel".

IMO, if snakes cannot be fed humanely-raised and humanely-killed creatures (after these food items have lived a lengthy, decent & fairly normal lifespan) then snakes should not be allowed to be kept as pets or bred by whomever simply feels like it or by whomever gets a kick out of it or by whomever is in it for profit.

We're on the same mind-set!:highfive:

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
John! Take some pics of this snake :) I would like to see the condition it is in.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It would be better to wait to feed it until its been moved to where ever its going to stay. Moving them after feeding can sometimes cause them to regurgitate, and trust me when I say there is nothing that smells worse than a partially digested rodent :gag: You'd also want him to have been at the proper temperature (if they are too cold, he likely wont eat anyway, but they need to be at their proper temp to digest properly also).

Very good post!

I also think it should wait to be fed for a full week after its in its permanent housing placement.

Snakes can go MONTHS without eating, and a snake that is stress and scared or cold, will not be able to digest the food, even if it has an appetite.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I am guessing you are vegetarian.
Im vegetarian and I have 3 snakes!:mad: You can keep an animal that eat meats and still be vegetarian. Its the humane way of how you do things that matters...

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Most frozen and thawed rodent are euthanized humanely utilizing gas in procedures that have been used for years by labs. It's a far better way to check out than the death most wild rodents would have.

For that matter, how you feel releasing a captive bred snake into the wild, even in its native habitat, is less cruel than feeding humanely-euthanized rodents is well beyond me. Many captive bred snakes lack the temperament and capability to survive in the wild. In a case like that, releasing the animal would be a death sentence.
Would comment but Jill has made a request - I will of course honor it.

Maybe we can further discuss this matter in another thread, on another day.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If I bring the snake home I will also need a good divorce lawyer. After she kills the snake she will kill me!!! :D This is a woman who is terrified of bugs!!! :eek:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If I bring the snake home I will also need a good divorce lawyer. After she kills the snake she will kill me!!! :D This is a woman who is terrified of bugs!!! :eek:
Some snakes eat bugs(although very very few and only 1 species reside sin north america) :) lol

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
:rofl::rofl::rofl:I take it you're not bringing it home???....:rofl::rofl:

Seriously, I have a 20gallon tank, among others. It's my smallest tank. I don't think an 8ft snake will fit in there, no matter how hard it tries...

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:rofl::rofl::rofl:I take it you're not bringing it home???....:rofl::rofl:

Seriously, I have a 20gallon tank, among others. It's my smallest tank. I don't think an 8ft snake will fit in there, no matter how hard it tries...
You would certainly hope its bigger than a 20 :( At any rate I wouldnt doubt that its likely cramped and I hope that a better enclosure can be found for him/her. Red tails are very cool snakes. Used to have some and did really enjoy them.

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I was thinking an 8' long snake would have a hard time to even fit in a 20 long. Maybe the landlord is just overestimating the size of the snake.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
or underestimating the size of the tank :p

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
John, can you call a veterinarian, they may steer you in the right direction. Hope this poor snake finds a home soon, how cruel to just leave him like that.

Keet

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Chelsea
Im vegetarian and I have 3 snakes!:mad: You can keep an animal that eat meats and still be vegetarian. Its the humane way of how you do things that matters...
I agree, but saying that the animals need to live a full healthy life is implausible. Humane euthanasia, as with a CO2 chamber is perfectly fine. The animals they put in dog and cat food are far more aware of their quality of life, and are treated far less humanely than most feeder rodents. People want healthy rodents to feed to their animals.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Let's please keep this thread on topic as was already stated by the Admins.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The snake guy called me and gave me a number for someone who has a snake rescue in the city (who knew?). He was not home tonight so I will call him tomorrow to set something up to rescue this snake. The snake guy said the snake will be ok until we can get there tomorrow. The landlord gave the snake some water in a bowl but did not see the snake take a drink while he was watching.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
You did good, John. I hope the snake will be alright.

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
John, I know I just joined and don't know you too well, but I just wanted to say you seem to be a true animal-lover that respects each and every species (even the misunderstood ones). I'm glad you were able to find a rescue and I hope it works out for the boa :)

Status
Not open for further replies.