• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RANT If you can't take care of them....

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I grew up in the 60's and back then I don't think (in my opinion) people have much thought about animals or their welfare. Going to get rarely happened it seemed like for people. They take a sick animal out back and just shoot it. No one said anything.
I seen it happen by friends parents, farmers and average joes. As a kid it made me cry. People just didn't use vets.
The term, " just an animal " gets under my skin badly. That's all a person has to say, and I know exactly where they come from. The term "it's just a bird" really burns my skin. Pray you turn deaf real quick cause I won't shut up about that.
The people I see that have birds and treat them like some kind of once in a blue moon enertainment, but are nothing more than a cage ornament to them...God that ticks me off!
You don't have to shut up at all but I suspect you may have to take a number on how you feel about the "it's just a ______" term. I believe too many AA members have heard something like that said.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I had several cockatoos in Hawaii and was selling two babies. I had people come to my house in order to interview them before they even got to see the birds. One lady asked if I could wait 2 weeks on the deposit until she got her welfare check!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok, I've been following along here. I have to say that in my life, I've seen this done w/ larger animals too! Dogs & cats specifically.

Ex: a friend of mine, got a dog fro m her Boyfriend in high school. He wked @ an SPCA. He rescued the puppy from being euthanized. Her Mother took it bk, same SPCA. Told them he wandered onto her property must've been lost. While friend was @ school & after Mom said she could keep it. Boyfriend went into wk, brought dog home w/ him. Funny thing is, never saw the dog again & it was something none of these people would discuss. My guess is Mom just took him to another county & dropped him on a corner or another SPCA.

Mother & daughter were not that close. I think it was the beginning of the end for that relationship.

If someone isn't an animal person, then they are usually mean Or extremely selfish, then there the trifecta mean, selfish & extremely so. ;)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
You don't have to shut up at all but I suspect you may have to take a number on how you feel about the "it's just a ______" term. I believe too many AA members have heard something like that said.
You don't have to worry about that Sandra, ha ha, I 'm not one to shut up about stuff like that.
Take a number??? Ha ha....I'm more of a " let me at them type"....for instance...( A joke for par)
Cop pulls guy over for running stop sign.
Cop: you know why I pulled you over?
Man: no idea
Cop: you ran a stop sign
Man: but I slowed down
Cop: you still ran stop sign your supposed to stop
Man: I don't get it I slowed down
Cop: I'll have to issue a ticket
Man: you can't do that !! I slowed down!
( The cop pulls out his bully club and proceeds to beat the guy with it and says...)
Cop: now sir would you like me to slow down or stop???
Lol....when it comes to animals, I would be like the cop to the stupid and ignorant.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Cop: you ran a stop sign
Man: but I slowed down
Cop: you still ran stop sign your supposed to stop

Not so fun fact: I failed my first driving test for pea rolling a stop sign at 1mph :(

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ok, I've been following along here. I have to say that in my life, I've seen this done w/ larger animals too! Dogs & cats specifically.

Ex: a friend of mine, got a dog fro m her Boyfriend in high school. He wked @ an SPCA. He rescued the puppy from being euthanized. Her Mother took it bk, same SPCA. Told them he wandered onto her property must've been lost. While friend was @ school & after Mom said she could keep it. Boyfriend went into wk, brought dog home w/ him. Funny thing is, never saw the dog again & it was something none of these people would discuss. My guess is Mom just took him to another county & dropped him on a corner or another SPCA.

Mother & daughter were not that close. I think it was the beginning of the end for that relationship.

If someone isn't an animal person, then they are usually mean Or extremely selfish, then there the trifecta mean, selfish & extremely so. ;)

Hi Rain, I have seen stuff like that all too often. It's heart breaking. I've been a standing member of ASPCA for a few decades now. Some shelters have my number in case of help or over flow, or parrot. Helps when many of your cousins and family members are in law enforcement. They call me sometimes if an incident comes up where a parrot needs to be removed from home.
Some of the horrors I've seen, will make you cringe. Such as guy cutting beak off parrot because it bit. Or another person lost it when parrot wouldn't stop screaming and put it in a box and kicked the box around till the parrot stopped....( The parrot was badly injured) I could go on, and yea the list is a mile long!!! But you get my point.
I'm afraid I'd go to jail, because I could seriously hurt someone for doing something like this
To a bird or animal. I have actually had to take a couple steps back for awhile because of seeing stuff like that.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

I have 4 extra cages(large) on stand by in case I'm called to pick up a bird. One time I had a senegal ( already had one at time) both parents were arrested on child abuse. There were 3 dogs, a cat, and the bird to rescue.
When it came to finding a good home for that senegal, I would carefully screen people.
You would not believe some of the idiots that come wanting to adopt, for all the wrong reasons. Like one couple wanted the senegal for their son, whom brought over.
He was barely 3 years old. Does he bite? They ask....ah no not a good fit. Sorry.
He finally went to an experienced parront that had senegal and understood them.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I have 4 extra cages(large) on stand by in case I'm called to pick up a bird. One time I had a senegal ( already had one at time) both parents were arrested on child abuse. There were 3 dogs, a cat, and the bird to rescue.
When it came to finding a good home for that senegal, I would carefully screen people.
You would not believe some of the idiots that come wanting to adopt, for all the wrong reasons. Like one couple wanted the senegal for their son, whom brought over.
He was barely 3 years old. Does he bite? They ask....ah no not a good fit. Sorry.
He finally went to an experienced parront that had senegal and understood them.

When I was in the bird store visiting Tibs, I can remember a mother came in with her two young sons, one couldn't have been older than three or four and the other maybe one or two. She asked how much work birds were, thankfully, the store owner's daughter told her that they were a lot more effort than a dog or a cat and needed fresh food and to be let out and all of that. I can't recall if there was a discussion about biting, I was concerned because they were looking at Tibs at the time. They hadn't pulled him out but they were looking at him. Thankfully, the mom and kids left.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
One lady asked if I could wait 2 weeks on the deposit until she got her welfare check!
That’s what I was dealing with in the original post of this thread. Not that day, but in general - she always asks to pay later, when the check gets there.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I wouldn't let a pay check to check individual adopt because what if something happens and they needed to go to the vet right away. That thought really frightened me!
That's my way of thinking as well . And I am sure we are offending some people by saying this! But honestly it boils down to neglect, if they need to get medical care and they don't get it.

I had that exact conversation with the person in question yesterday, when she borrowed someone's phone and called me! I said it really bothers me that you don't take them to vet.....etc. I was very upfront/blunt. She said blocking her had hurt her feelings. She said she does take them to the vet, but didn't that one time because she wanted to help the bird (???). And doesn't buy the meds because she has one antibiotic. (By comparison, I have 2 boxes of medications on hand, plus herbs and teas just in case.)

Anyway. Sigh. We can't save them all.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I agree with the above sentiments. I recently talked someone who is living paycheck to paycheck out of getting a pet for that very reason; if you can't completely take care of yourself, how can you take care of another living being who will need to be brought to a vet?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You know, I used to take in people's birds and nurse them, or give the people medicines to take home. I've quit doing that. I have to take care of my flock first, and at this point we have one in the living room, 3 in the office, and a bird room full. The living/kitchen/dining/office are all open to each other... simply can't risk the germs coming in. And I'm not handing out meds....well, they need to buy their own meds. I find that giving them meds just means they'll ask again the next time - it doesn't encourage them to buy their own.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Birds seem to mean nothing to some people. Perhaps that persons parents felt the same way, not sure. Some of these animal haters turn into or already are evil humans. Others are kind and will rescue an animal and see to it that this animal is in a good place with good people. I hope you blocked this person and feel better for having done so.
:hug8:

And until the crack down on animal abuse is taken seriously (like making it into a FEDERAL law), it will continue to happen.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Part of this problem stems from the expense of owning a parrot, or any animal for that matter. Owning a large dog can cost a person a grand a year in vet bills, food, toys, etc.... There are some vets who have stepped up, by offering sliding scale or low cost services, as in "Nickle Neutering".

Now I am not in any way implying that this is the issue with the person that the OP is referring to, (she sounds more like a professional moocher). But I do think it might help to eliminate the problems of those who are poor, but still desperately want an animal companion.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Owning a large dog can cost a person a grand a year in vet bills, food, toys, etc....
I easily spend that on my medium size dog... and I don´t even pay consultation fees at the vet since I took in a stray a few years back. And my dog doesn´t like toys.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Not so fun fact: I failed my first driving test for pea rolling a stop sign at 1mph :(

You didn't!! :omg: don't feel bad, I totaled out a state police car on icy roads?? Was a big hill and tapped brakes...weeeeee, went sliding without anyway to stop! The cruiser had someone suddenly pulled over! Thought crap, I won't be able to stop so laid on the horn!
Didn't get a ticket though.