• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RANT If you can't take care of them....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am so majorly ticked off right now. I'm going to have to walk away from the computer for awhile.

This acquaintance contacted me , she is handfeeding some birds. I'm trying to keep this general so the person won't recognize herself. Although I feel like doing something mean like attaching her photo!

She wanted to know what was wrong with the babies. This is all on messenger so it takes forever. Had to put Rio and Captn Jack in their cage, it took so long. they were happily dissembling my keyboard. Anyway, It goes like this:

Me: Looks like the crop is distended (I didn't say by about 4 times what it should be)

Her: What do I do?

Me: There's a lot of inflammation in the belly, take it to Dr . So and so (avian vet)

Her: I can't afford it.
:tmsmakesme:

Me: Well do you have this med and that one? [which I advised you to purchase the last 2 times we had this conversation]

Her: No. Do you have any?

:angry101::angry101::angry101:

My new self, the one that's going to stand up for ME and MY FAMILY (including bird family) said no I don't. Cause you know what? They haven't been tested or treated for ANYTHING. I am not having an owner or their birds into my home to maybe bring germs. I'm not helping feed them. I'm not doling out part of my medicines.

The same person .... well I won't go there. You get it. Totally irresponsible. Buys birds over and over and they die or pluck all their feathers so they get traded away, or they don't breed immediately so they're traded.

For heaven's sake, people! If you can't afford to take proper care of them don't take them. Even if they are free. This is a life, not a toy that can be discarded. Poor birds. And the breeding --- whyyyy? If you can't "afford" the parents, or the vet cost, why bring more into the world???

This is killing me. And you know what? I don't want to be in her shoes on judgment day.:atomic:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I hear ya! Makes no sense to me either and just breaks my heart for her babies!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Gaaaaahhh!!!! I freaking HATE people like this!

I have a facebook page for my birdies, and there is one woman who constantly comments on all of my posts "Oh I wish I could have one", or "He's so pretty, I want him!", or "I'm coming to get this one", always along those lines.

I met this woman a few years ago when she posted that she needed someone to come clip her birds nails and wings. She didn't live far from me, so I popped over to her place and did a good deed. I gave her some training and taming tips and some general budgie care information.

A few months later she contacted me to see if I would take her birds from her since she wasn't having any luck in taming them. I said no (I don't need more birds!) but did help her find a good home for them. She then asked if she could have a hand tame baby from me. I said yes, since she did provide good care for her other two birds and seemed willing to follow instructions and advice. A few months after she got her bird, she returned it to me because she didn't spend enough time with it and they never formed a bond.

Now she won't stop posting saying "I want one of your birds" and spamming my inbox asking to be put on my waiting list. I feel like telling her "Lady, you've given away 3 birds (That I know of!) because you gave up on them when they didn't turn out to be "Instant Pets". What makes you think I'd make that mistake again by giving you one of my English budgies which are in HIGH DEMAND?!"

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
so I popped over to her place and did a good deed.
Aaaah so you're like me! That's what gets us in trouble! That's how this all started too.

I feel like telling her "Lady, you've given away 3 birds (That I know of!) because you gave up on them when they didn't turn out to be "Instant Pets". What makes you think I'd make that mistake again by giving you one of my English budgies which are in HIGH DEMAND?!"
Yep. She keeps asking what I have for sale. Why do I want to subject one of my nice, healthy birds to that kind of treatment??? I just say I don't have any. Actually I really don't. LOL

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My new self, the one that's going to stand up for ME and MY FAMILY (including bird family) said no I don't.
Your words of advice should be appreciated, and I am saddened that they weren´t. You have to draw some sort of line, like you say, your birds come first. And even if her birds were tested and clean, you take one in and the flood gates will open and before you know it you´re runing a backyard rescue!

so I popped over to her place and did a good deed. I gave her some training and taming tips and some general budgie care information.
That´s very nice of you.

Now she won't stop posting saying "I want one of your birds" and spamming my inbox asking to be put on my waiting list. I feel like telling her "Lady, you've given away 3 birds
Tell her to go away. Say it without fear, she´s irresponsible and you know you won´t sell her a bird, so now she is not a potential customer anymore.
Be blunt, tell her to fluff off and block her.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I am so majorly ticked off right now. I'm going to have to walk away from the computer for awhile.

This acquaintance contacted me , she is handfeeding some birds. I'm trying to keep this general so the person won't recognize herself. Although I feel like doing something mean like attaching her photo!

She wanted to know what was wrong with the babies. This is all on messenger so it takes forever. Had to put Rio and Captn Jack in their cage, it took so long. they were happily dissembling my keyboard. Anyway, It goes like this:

Me: Looks like the crop is distended (I didn't say by about 4 times what it should be)

Her: What do I do?

Me: There's a lot of inflammation in the belly, take it to Dr . So and so (avian vet)

Her: I can't afford it.
:tmsmakesme:

Me: Well do you have this med and that one? [which I advised you to purchase the last 2 times we had this conversation]

Her: No. Do you have any?

:angry101::angry101::angry101:

My new self, the one that's going to stand up for ME and MY FAMILY (including bird family) said no I don't. Cause you know what? They haven't been tested or treated for ANYTHING. I am not having an owner or their birds into my home to maybe bring germs. I'm not helping feed them. I'm not doling out part of my medicines.

The same person .... well I won't go there. You get it. Totally irresponsible. Buys birds over and over and they die or pluck all their feathers so they get traded away, or they don't breed immediately so they're traded.

For heaven's sake, people! If you can't afford to take proper care of them don't take them. Even if they are free. This is a life, not a toy that can be discarded. Poor birds. And the breeding --- whyyyy? If you can't "afford" the parents, or the vet cost, why bring more into the world???

This is killing me. And you know what? I don't want to be in her shoes on judgment day.:atomic:

God I hate those type of people.....problem is you can't even slap the stupid out of them! It's permanently fixed! They should wear a sign...
" I'm really freakin stupid"
It amazes me, what kind o of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart enough just in time to ask a question? With stupid people like that they are unaware that they are the root of their own problems. And that can be very difficult to explain to them.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Aaaah so you're like me! That's what gets us in trouble! That's how this all started too.

Yep. She keeps asking what I have for sale. Why do I want to subject one of my nice, healthy birds to that kind of treatment??? I just say I don't have any. Actually I really don't. LOL

That's so frustrating! !

She's been following my page long enough to know that i have a long wait list. I'll probably just tell her "You've been added to the list" and just keep bumping her down until she gives up. Or quote her a totally ridiculous price. LOL.
"Oh, that budgie you are in love with will cost no less than $400"

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Tell her to go away. Say it without fear, she´s irresponsible and you know you won´t sell her a bird, so now she is not a potential customer anymore.
Hah! Can you do that, @PoukieBear ?

I've been told twice lately to grow a back bone, so I'm trying....

Quoting a high price is a great idea. I usually feel sorry for people like this, and give a discount. Guess who suffers? The bird!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Your words of advice should be appreciated, and I am saddened that they weren´t. You have to draw some sort of line, like you say, your birds come first. And even if her birds were tested and clean, you take one in and the flood gates will open and before you know it you´re runing a backyard rescue!

I've had many people ask me to take their birds for various different reasons, but I always say no for the exact reason's you stated above. :) However, I will be courteous and post on my page that so and so's birds are looking to be re-homed, and will connect potential adopters with the person with the birds.

The only birds I take in are MY OWN birds, since it's in my contract that all my birds need to be returned to me if they can no longer be looked after. (This has happened only 3 times for legit reasons)

I'm not good with blunt or confrontation. lol. But you're right, it's probably the best approach.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That's so frustrating! !

She's been following my page long enough to know that i have a long wait list. I'll probably just tell her "You've been added to the list" and just keep bumping her down until she gives up. Or quote her a totally ridiculous price. LOL.
"Oh, that budgie you are in love with will cost no less than $400"
Hoarder comes to mind.... I can understand love of birds, I get that. But raising babies when one can not afford it is not right. There are hundreds and thousands of homeless birds out there waiting for new homes. Half will never find it, and half those will die waiting. Sad, really sad.
There was a study done not long back ( forget what university) that did a survey on how long a parrot stays in a new home. Out of ever 1000 birds bought, 483 parrots are rehomed within first year!!! That frighten me and shook me right to the core!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
:( I'll never understand people. The general disregard for life is sad and frustrating. I'm sorry for this person's birds. I hope when they're rehomed they find a soft place to land.
I don't blame you not wanting to take in someone's potentially ill birds, and then for them to not be able to afford what they are doing?? It's maddening. And if you do anything, all they'll do is take more and more.

Hoarder comes to mind.... I can understand love of birds, I get that. But raising babies when one can not afford it is not right. There are hundreds and thousands of homeless birds out there waiting for new homes. Half will never find it, and half those will die waiting. Sad, really sad.
There was a study done not long back ( forget what university) that did a survey on how long a parrot stays in a new home. Out of ever 1000 birds bought, 483 parrots are rehomed within first year!!! That frighten me and shook me right to the core!

I knew that the numbers were high but that's rather astounding. I wonder how many families rehomed without reporting it or ended up rehoming further down the line. Very sad.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
:( I'll never understand people. The general disregard for life is sad and frustrating. I'm sorry for this person's birds. I hope when they're rehomed they find a soft place to land.
I don't blame you not wanting to take in someone's potentially ill birds, and then for them to not be able to afford what they are doing?? It's maddening. And if you do anything, all they'll do is take more and more.

I knew that the numbers were high but that's rather astounding. I wonder how many families rehomed without reporting it or ended up rehoming further down the line. Very sad.

It was pretty high, I was alarmed that it was that high. The study was done between 201)2 and 2016, information was gathered from "returned" birds to avian stores or where they were bought, from vets participating in survey, from pet for sale sites across America, and else where.
Over the years I have been in and out of parrot stores for supplies and that, and can say honestly that many many birds are returned. Recently seen a cockatoo, beebee, returned for the 4th time in less than 2 years! Ready for its 5 th parront in 20 months! Sad! There is a male and female ekkie returned for 2nd time in about 2 yrs. I'm afraid this time they get rehomed they'll be seperated.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Thank you so much for expressing what I have wanted to say many times to some people that come here for bird baby advice.
I shudder to think how many baby birds have not made it in the hands of amateur people.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you so much for expressing what I have wanted to say many times to some people that come here for bird baby advice.
I shudder to think how many baby birds have not made it in the hands of amateur people.
EXACTLY. I don't know if they have super self-confidence, or they don't think it will be that hard.... they let them die because of their ignorance. LIFE is a precious gift...... I said to this same person sometime back that she should rescue rather than breed (I did say it more gently than that) and her response was 'the rescue won't let us adopt.'

That's a clue! :banghead:

I think I will block her. I don't need this stress. I've been thinking about the poor baby birds all day.

Is that fair? To block without explaining why?
With stupid people like that they are unaware that they are the root of their own problems. And that can be very difficult to explain to them.
^^This makes me think I should just go ahead and block.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Won't let them adopt??? Oh dear! Red flags alert!
There's a solid reason for that! Too many animals perished in their care!!!
Report them! I'm past I looked at a cockatoo once, people wanted 2000 for it not including cage. It was living in the most disgusting conditions, and eating cigarettes from over flowing ash trays.
Told them "here's what I'll do ...I'll give you 500 dollars, and not call state police for animal abuse. Or you can say no and guaranteed I'll have that bird for free. Either way that bird is coming out of this house with me."
They called my bluff and state police came and arrest them. That's how I ended up with one of my past cockatoos .
I don't play games with people that treat animals badly.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Told them "here's what I'll do ...I'll give you 500 dollars, and not call state police for animal abuse. Or you can say no and guaranteed I'll have that bird for free. Either way that bird is coming out of this house with me."
They called my bluff and state police came and arrest them. That's how I ended up with one of my past cockatoos .
I love this so much!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
It was pretty high, I was alarmed that it was that high. The study was done between 201)2 and 2016, information was gathered from "returned" birds to avian stores or where they were bought, from vets participating in survey, from pet for sale sites across America, and else where.
Over the years I have been in and out of parrot stores for supplies and that, and can say honestly that many many birds are returned. Recently seen a cockatoo, beebee, returned for the 4th time in less than 2 years! Ready for its 5 th parront in 20 months! Sad! There is a male and female ekkie returned for 2nd time in about 2 yrs. I'm afraid this time they get rehomed they'll be seperated.

I can remember up North there was a chain pet store I used to go to to get toys and things and I remember seeing many Conures on consignment. Very very sad indeed :(
I remember you mentioning the Ekkies in another thread, I hope they don’t get separated. It’s all so heartbreaking.

Won't let them adopt??? Oh dear! Red flags alert!
There's a solid reason for that! Too many animals perished in their care!!!
Report them! I'm past I looked at a cockatoo once, people wanted 2000 for it not including cage. It was living in the most disgusting conditions, and eating cigarettes from over flowing ash trays.

This is amazing! I’m glad that you were able to do that!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I love this so much!
@Zara and @BeanieofJustice arrow
The story of how I got my umbrella cockatoo, Billy jean, was very sad, but saved her life.
In spring of 1992 there was an add for re-homing a cockatoo on a notice board in a bird store. ( back then there was no internet, cell phones and that). So I called them set up an appointment to see bird.
Pulling up to this place was like pulling up to the city dump. Was a scary looking place.
Was invited in, and the thick smell of cigarette smoke about choked me. You couldn't walk thru house without tripping over something, and dishes everywhere that was literally growing new food source from them.
There in dinning room was the cockatoo, playing in an ashtray full of over flowing cigarette butts. Ashtrays everwhere. So much cigarette tar on walls it was brown, you could write your name on it. There two late teen boys looked like a cast from a mad max movie.
The cockatoo I handled, but checking it over it had cigarette burn in its feathers, and wax, like from a burning wax tart on tail and wing. Caked on. And bird smelled real bad of cigarette smoke.
We talked price, ( because no matter the price the bird was not spending another day here)
I asked how old and if it had birth papers and get papers. Said bird was about 29, they had it all that time. The lady claimed she saw no need for a vet. ( my blood was boiling by now). Showed me it's cage and said I could buy that seperate.
The cage, my god, there was so much poop cakes in there, it was growing grey mold! Water bowl was like tar, food bowl was table scraps, no seeds I saw anywhere.
I finally lost it, and said" here's the deal, your abusing this poor bird, he's not being fed right, not going to vet, and has wax and cigarette smoke and burns on him! I'll give you 500 and call it good " .....no she wanted 2000. I said no, your killing this bird, and if you don't agree I'll report it. About then the oldest son sat on couch down from me playing with this big buck knife. Like saying cool it man.
The lady stood up about then and said " hey out of my house, you don't tell me how to take care of my bird "
So to the door I went with her son with buck knife right behind me. I got to door, the son says "hey"...I turned around and he put the knife right under my chin. Said.." You made my mom mad, that wasn't cool, get out of here. "
I left, but went up to store pay phone down road, called my dad, FBI. Said hey, need your help here. Explained about the bird. Said they can't get involved, it's domestic..how about city cops, same he said. Well, how about this, the guy put a knife to my throat. Huh? he said, that changes everything.
Met me at gas station with 2 sheriff cars, we went back to the place. One woman cop looked at the cockatoo and cage (excuse my language) and said "you got to be heck*ing kidding me ma'am. This is disgusting conditions for a bird."
The lady got very voicetress to cop, was arrested, the son arrested for attempted assault. I took the cockatoo, and put it in my dad's car.
On way home my dad turns to me and says " is that the cockatoo that smells like cigarettes? " yep...
Anyway, Billy jean became mine, here first few vet visits were not good, vet couldn't believe the condition it was in, the smell, the blood work show way off the charts.
I had her, yes he was a she..21 years... In last few years before she pasted on in 2013, she developed breathing problems and became sluggish. Was my little handicapped girl.
Vet couldn't do anything for her at that stage... She lived longer than vet predicted which I was greatful for. But some people out there do NOT deserve a bird.