• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RANT If you can't take care of them....

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have met people that will go into debt to ensure that their animals are well cared for. Will do without for themselves to get those pets what they need. I have known those people thar have tons of cash & let their kids have pets & handle the pets needs as @finchly mentioned. Ask someone for help that has way less & so many more obligations for the food, meds, medical supplies etc...

It has always made me angry, & I would not know that person for very long after the situation. @Hawk12237 your words reg. this remind me of my hubby. You two would probably get along great reg. bad owners who need their faces disrupted. ;)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
When I was in the bird store visiting Tibs, I can remember a mother came in with her two young sons, one couldn't have been older than three or four and the other maybe one or two. She asked how much work birds were, thankfully, the store owner's daughter told her that they were a lot more effort than a dog or a cat and needed fresh food and to be let out and all of that. I can't recall if there was a discussion about biting, I was concerned because they were looking at Tibs at the time. They hadn't pulled him out but they were looking at him. Thankfully, the mom and kids left.

You know, I seen that happen more times than I can count on hands and feet. Parents that come in an avian store or bird store with kids under 4.
And wanted a parrot for the youngsters, while in the avian store the 3 year old reached over to a macaw that was on a play gym and pulled it's tail really hard! I was in the toy section for birds, when I heard the scream and looked over. The macaw got the kid on the side of face as hard as it could bite, by the looks of the wound.
I could hear the mother of the child scream why do you have a parrot that bites? It needs to be put down. why isn't it kept in a cage? ( well duh, most of the birds there at that avian store are socialized and get out time. Sign says don't touch parrots without permission!)
Some people must think an avian store is a petting zoo. Second, I'm sorry, and I don't have anything against a child having a pet, but a parrot is not for a child. Come on man!!! Really?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You know, I seen that happen more times than I can count on hands and feet. Parents that come in an avian store or bird store with kids under 4.
And wanted a parrot for the youngsters, while in the avian store the 3 year old reached over to a macaw that was on a play gym and pulled it's tail really hard! I was in the toy section for birds, when I heard the scream and looked over. The macaw got the kid on the side of face as hard as it could bite, by the looks of the wound.
I could hear the mother of the child scream why do you have a parrot that bites? It needs to be put down. why isn't it kept in a cage? ( well duh, most of the birds there at that avian store are socialized and get out time. Sign says don't touch parrots without permission!)
Some people must think an avian store is a petting zoo. Second, I'm sorry, and I don't have anything against a child having a pet, but a parrot is not for a child. Come on man!!! Really?
This makes me think of one of my local pet stores. In addition to the budgies, tiels and sun conures, they have a cockatoo that I'm pretty sure belongs to one of the staff (her name is Molly). Every time I go there I always stop by to say hi to Molly, a couple of staff used to bring their macaws too.

And there's this one staff member, she's very nice, who is always so protective of the birds. And I can see why, Molly is out most of the time, usually preening on her cage door, and when the macaws were there they would come out too. And it seems people can't respect the beak. I know that birds can and will bite, and if I get bitten it's my own stupid fault. But other people have such a hard time getting that through their thick skulls...

She's always saying "don't touch the bird, she bites" "oh watch out, his eyes are pinning", that kind of thing. Because people are stupid. I've seen people flip out as soon as a beak touches them, even if the bird is just testing before climbing onto their hand, even if the bird is a budgie. So I can only imagine what someone who makes the bird feel like they need to bite to protect themselves would do.

I know that Molly is a sweetie... She always tries to go for my hoodie string, I think she'd climb onto my shoulder if I let her. She likes to dance and say hi, sometimes she wolf-whistles, and once or twice I've heard her laugh at Roxie when I bring her with (I always say "look, I brought my doggie!" and she loves it, lol). But I worry that some ya-hoo will get her in trouble for protecting herself.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm now an unemployed, on benefits bird carer having recently lost my job. I live on state benefits. I have a fund still stashed away for veterinary care, but still I worry that one day I'll still be in this situation and my fund will be gone. I worry a lot.
This isn't a situation I got myself into, more a reality of modern life. I didn't choose to be this way.
I will fight tooth and nail to keep my birdie friends. I will go without food to feed them.
BUT I still have to be realistic. I have accepted that one thing could topple my world. One serious injury or illness could bring my funds to the point where I would have to consider rehoming my birds. I regret saying that already but it's a simple fact of life right now.
If God smiles on me this will not happen. But I'm ready with a plan if it does.
I'm realistic in my ambitions.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I could hear the mother of the child scream why do you have a parrot that bites? It needs to be put down. why isn't it kept in a cage?
In furiating. She is the type of person to buy a budgie for the kid, keep it in a cage constantly, and then rehome it once it nips the kids finger.
Very sad.

and I don't have anything against a child having a pet,
Totally agree. I really believe that all children should have access to an animal, be it a pet at home or a class pet. Something more along the lines of a guinea pig. I believe that animals can teach kids things that humans can not teach, and the child will be taught in a fun way. Things like empathy and responsibility cannot be taught from a book, they must be felt and I believe that animals are the best teachers.
They are true, honest, kind, forgiving and never judge or discriminate.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm now an unemployed, on benefits bird carer having recently lost my job. I live on state benefits. I have a fund still stashed away for veterinary care, but still I worry that one day I'll still be in this situation and my fund will be gone. I worry a lot.
This isn't a situation I got myself into, more a reality of modern life. I didn't choose to be this way.
I will fight tooth and nail to keep my birdie friends. I will go without food to feed them.
BUT I still have to be realistic. I have accepted that one thing could topple my world. One serious injury or illness could bring my funds to the point where I would have to consider rehoming my birds. I regret saying that already but it's a simple fact of life right now.
:sadhug2:

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Totally agree. I really believe that all children should have access to an animal, be it a pet at home or a class pet. Something more along the lines of a guinea pig. I believe that animals can teach kids things that humans can not teach, and the child will be taught in a fun way. Things like empathy and responsibility cannot be taught from a book, they must be felt and I believe that animals are the best teachers.
Agreed as well. My daughter doesn't know life without a pet. She was born when we had a cat and it really made me angry when people said that now, when I have a baby I have to get rid of the cat. And it was so obvious to them. They coulnd't understand that I didn't do it before baby was born. I didn't get rid of the cat, in fact after few years I adopted another one. My daughter thanks to this learned how to be gentle, empathetic and responsible (when she was like three or four years old I tasked her with telling me if the cat's bowl is empty).
I think it is very important that parrents put some strict rules in child's head, regarding dealing with animals. My daughter from the youngest age would never touch a dog or a cat without asking owner's permission. And she knew she had to be gentle. It was very simple explanation from me: animals feel like people. If you are not gentle, the animal will hurt. She understood.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph

I get having a family pet and having the child help but I agree with you. Wow... why on Earth would you LET your kid do that to a bird?? I can't imagine she let a three year old roam around alone so she must've been watching them. It always bothers me when people are irresponsible and blame the animal. Sam Axe HATES having his tail touched because someone did that to him. They were lucky because Sam Axe is more inclined to run away than to bite.
I can remember going to avian stores with friends and having to tell them not to pet the birds that they don't know. Most of them were pretty good about it.
The local store here mostly has smaller-medium birds, which worries me a bit because they're all friendly babies and I worry that people don't understand that that sweet baby will grow up, much like a person. But I can only hope that they get great and loving homes. I mean, Tibs was left there because he preens a bit too rough. I had to laugh, and it was one of those "You call that a bite?" because I've been nailed by plenty of birds, and being preened too hard is nothing.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Agreed as well. My daughter doesn't know life without a pet. She was born when we had a cat and it really made me angry when people said that now, when I have a baby I have to get rid of the cat. And it was so obvious to them. They coulnd't understand that I didn't do it before baby was born. I didn't get rid of the cat, in fact after few years I adopted another one. My daughter thanks to this learned how to be gentle, empathetic and responsible (when she was like three or four years old I tasked her with telling me if the cat's bowl is empty).
I think it is very important that parrents put some strict rules in child's head, regarding dealing with animals. My daughter from the youngest age would never touch a dog or a cat without asking owner's permission. And she knew she had to be gentle. It was very simple explanation from me: animals feel like people. If you are not gentle, the animal will hurt. She understood.
That reminds me of this oldie but goodie!

Baby has to go - got bird

We just got a new bird so the baby has to go. Two year old female, answers to the name, Chelsea. She is good around other kids, doesn't scream too much, mostly potty-trained & weaned. She has all of her shots and is free to a good home. She likes men and women and will go to both. Limited vocab, but can say a few words. Good eater, enjoys a varied diet. Believe me, we hate to get rid of her, but we are afraid she might hurt the new bird, and we couldn't let that happen. What if the baby smothered the bird trying to hold it? Worse, licking food out of the birds mouth or eating out of it's dish? What if she bit the bird!! We really cannot take that chance. I know it's possible to raise a baby and a bird together, you just have to watch them real carefully, but the whole idea just scares me. We just can't take any chances. A bird could catch a disease from a baby! I mean, without that diaper, they tend to poop anywhere they want to. That is so unsanitary! What if the bird got salmonella or E.Coli from eating the babies droppings? YUK!! Babies can be sooo messy, you know how they fling their food all over the place. I don't want my bird eating the baby food off the floor!! What really worries me is when babies get older, about 13, they tend to get really hormonal and very tempermental. They can be a real handful and are very hard to read. It's possible to live with a hormonal 13 year old child but very tricky. You can't even get them fixed like you can a dog or a cat. This is another reason we don't feel up to the ownership issues. So I am trying to find a good home for her. I hate to take her to a shelter, but it may be my only option. My husband is really putting the pressure on me. So if you are interested and you think you can give her a good home, or know of someone who would, please drop me a line.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I could hear the mother of the child scream why do you have a parrot that bites?
Why do you have a child that abuses animals?

I am so sorry. And compared to the people we were really talking about, you are way ahead. You have a fund and you have a plan. I'm sorry you're going through this - it's so stressful. You know we're all here to support you, should the worst happen. :sadhug2:

Agree. My kids always had animals. It helped develop empathy (I think). It also made them terribly jealous, as I sometimes hear "You care more about those birds than me!" LOL

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
A lot of us are retired and on a fixed income. We feel for you! No matter how well we try to plan and budget a major catastrophe would be devastating. Please don't feel like you're alone in this. Support is the name of the game here! Blessings Linden...

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 I'm really impressed about how you dealt with Billy Jean situation. It was wonderfull. I'm also impressed that Billy Jean lived so long after all the years of neglect. You must have taken very good care of her.
Thank you, I did my best and paid off. It helped reverse her bad blood panel which took a while, but she did get a good bill of health a couple years down line. ( ie: plumage, wieght, blood work and etc) .

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Don't beat yourself up linden, things happen beyond our control. Doesn't mean you are not loving it caring for birds welfare.
I've once been in a similar situation. My wife and I had a head on collision, hit by a texting driver. We both ended up in ER. My wife nearly died she had 4 surgeries, I had both arms broke, wrist shattered, concussion. 3 blown disc in neck.
Here my birds are alone at home. And my wife and I weren't leaving hospital anytime soon. Like a couple weeks or more! I had to get staff to please call this number and tell people to check my birds!
The fun began when my wife and I got back home a couple weeks later. She having one arm in cast and had back surgery. Me with both arms in cast and neck surgery. Insurance had people come in everyday to help out..... But birds were a different issue. Had daughter's to fly in and look after them. But point is no one is ever really prepared in emergencies.
Like a tornado...we had one 3 years back. If you think you can gather birds fast enough when one hits, think again. We got lucky in that one, went right by us. But was an eye opener.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
They are true, honest, kind, forgiving and never judge or discriminate.
I feel the same way. I grew up with two dogs, one being a rottweiler and the other an english springer spaniel. When I was born, everyone (including my future pediatrician) was telling my parents "oh you have to get rid of the rottweiler", because everyone was thinking that the rott must be soooo aggressive. Well once they brought me home from the hospital those dogs were my best friends.

The rott was the sweetest thing, 125 pounds of love. She'd let me take naps on her, dress her up, hug on her all day long. And she was fiercely protective of me. From the day I came home from the hospital, we were best buddies. She was a tough soldier, she was blind in one eye, couldn't hear very well, and she had had cancer twice. She was with me until 2007 or 2008, I was in kindergarten around then. One day I came home from school and my ((mother)) said "We put down your dog.". I didn't know it was coming, and I never got to say goodbye. I hope she knew I loved her. She was 8 when she died.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Baby has to go - got bird

We just got a new bird so the baby has to go. Two year old female, answers to the name, Chelsea. She is good around other kids, doesn't scream too much, mostly potty-trained & weaned. She has all of her shots and is free to a good home. She likes men and women and will go to both. Limited vocab, but can say a few words. Good eater, enjoys a varied diet. Believe me, we hate to get rid of her, but we are afraid she might hurt the new bird, and we couldn't let that happen. What if the baby smothered the bird trying to hold it? Worse, licking food out of the birds mouth or eating out of it's dish? What if she bit the bird!! We really cannot take that chance. I know it's possible to raise a baby and a bird together, you just have to watch them real carefully, but the whole idea just scares me. We just can't take any chances. A bird could catch a disease from a baby! I mean, without that diaper, they tend to poop anywhere they want to. That is so unsanitary! What if the bird got salmonella or E.Coli from eating the babies droppings? YUK!! Babies can be sooo messy, you know how they fling their food all over the place. I don't want my bird eating the baby food off the floor!! What really worries me is when babies get older, about 13, they tend to get really hormonal and very tempermental. They can be a real handful and are very hard to read. It's possible to live with a hormonal 13 year old child but very tricky. You can't even get them fixed like you can a dog or a cat. This is another reason we don't feel up to the ownership issues. So I am trying to find a good home for her. I hate to take her to a shelter, but it may be my only option. My husband is really putting the pressure on me. So if you are interested and you think you can give her a good home, or know of someone who would, please drop me a line.

Yes, I came across a similar one, which I did share on my facebook, but it was a dog, and it ended with ¨collection only, if not gone in two days child will be put to sleep¨.

I could not imagine rehoming the birds or the dog because of a baby. It is absurd to me that it actually happens. :(

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I could not imagine rehoming the birds or the dog because of a baby. It is absurd to me that it actually happens. :(
When I was in kindergarten I had a friend who had a pitbull puppy that her parents had just gotten. She was over the moon excited, she was constantly showing everyone pictures (back when your parents would take your disposable camera to get developed, lol).

About 6 months later, she comes into school, looking devastated. Her parents had gotten rid of the pup, because "it could get big". Who would do that? Not only abandoning your dog, but traumatizing your child in the process? It's unthinkable. I hope that pup landed at a good home.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im sorry you are going through this with someone you thought was a friend ..there are several stories over the yrs I have of this very thing but it wasn't with birds it was with reptiles which are another huge group of animals that are thrown away ...its such a very sad state which we live that these or any animal are thought to be thrown away when they are no longer needed or wanted or cared for ...my animals are my family and I love each one of them and its so hard for me to understand the minds of people who don't … I hope you can get this person off you back or try to make her understand what she is doing to you is wrong and she needs to stop … :hug1: