• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about a bird cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Luckily I can send back the old cage and get a full refund. Just in case, I may keep my old cage for a different bird. Would it work for a canary or a conure.
Definitely not a conure, you'd want the same sort of cage that you just ordered for your 'tiel. I'm not familiar enough with canaries to weigh in on that.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Way to go Jarklor, you survived your first thread that turned into a hoopla!
I think you are a great addition to our community :)

Don't worry, not all threads are like this. If you want to know about diet, behaviors, anything, no question is a dumb question, just ask!

We all started new bird owners, geez, my first tiel only ate honey sticks for the first 3 months. I had no clue it wasn't a good idea!
YOu will love your little tiel, they are great birds!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, Jarklor, trial by fire! And I saw you snuck in a little humor here and there. That is a powerful asset.

:welcome::welcomesign:

Jarklor

Meeting neighbors
I just ordered my cage now. It should take a few days or so.

A while from now if I'm enjoying my bird, I'll look into getting another one. Is it possible to house my bird with a conure?

Last edited:

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
Awesome! Do you already have your baby? Can't wait to see it all set up! Cockatiels are great little birds.... We love our Scooby!

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen

A while from now if I'm enjoying my bird, I'll look into getting another one. Is it possible to house my bird with a conure?
I wouldn't trust it at all. Conures are very active and can be territorial and nippy. My guys will harrass my tiels when given a chance and I would NEVER trust them in the same cage. Interspecies mingling is a rare thing, especially to the point of being caged togeter.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
No, housing a cockatiel and conure can not be done. The conure can very easily crush the cockatiel's beak and bite its feet off if it wanted. If you wanted to house another bird in the same cage as your cockatiel, it would have to be another cockatiel. Not even a budgie/parakeet can be housed with a cockatiel because they're so pushy.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Every cockatiel is different so even if you got a second one it would be different :) all four of mine have different personalities and I love every one of them.

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I would say your old cage is good for a pair of small finches or a canary for sure! From experience, I have found that my canary prefers a tall cage, and with the way my finches bounce around, I would assume the same for them.

Jarklor

Meeting neighbors
Does anyone know how to tell if a cockatiel is a boy or a girl?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Both finches and canaries need long and wide cages too. And this cage would be fine for a pair of finches:)

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Yes you can tell often by coloring and later usually by behavior patterns. Can you post a couple pictures for us and give us the chicks hatch date or estimated age?

Jarklor

Meeting neighbors
My bird is around 3 months old. Do you recommend DNA testing?

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
It depends on the tiel's color mutation. Do you have any photos of him/her?

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Does anyone know how to tell if a cockatiel is a boy or a girl?
It's hard to tell for sure until the first molt. They all look like girls until then. Males may be a little brighter colored, especially on the face, and tend to be a little more vocal and whistle more. With most color cockatiels, the underside of the tail and flight feathers will be striped or spotted in girls, solid colored in boys. But you can't go by that until your baby is in its adult feathers (6 months to a year usually).

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Congrats on the new cage.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.