• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about a bird cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Beautiful bird!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He sure is beautiful!My guess is a boy.:heart:

Hex

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
Beautiful Tiel! and welcome to AA I know it can be overwhelming when you first get here. Especially when you are a new bird owners. Many bird owners have very strong opinions on this and that. It is just because they love birds so much! The new cage you got looks wonderful! and reading that the store you got him at had such small cages makes me sad. I shop for my Birdy at a store here in Virginia Beach and all of the birds are out in the open on perches that are on these awesome custom little cages. When a Fid misbehaves they put them in a cage until they calm down.

This is also the kind of store that people all over the east coast travel to pick up birds from. Last summer I was there when a guy from Florida arrived to pick up a Galah I believe.

If you ever need anything don't be afraid to ask on this forums. Most threads are NOT this explosive. I promise.
:p

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Give him or her a couple months to show you gender. Sometimes you have a Tiel that mimics the other gender but I think their signs are usually accurate . Our first was the hardest to gender because she was tho months when we got her. The breeder guessed female because of her build. She ended up being right.
I have one male, three females. The females each have their own unique
Chirp. Poppy's chirp actually sounds like a wolf whistle but it is the way she chirps! It is the only sound she makes except for scolding sounds and her upset squeal. Her chirp sounds so much like a whistle I doubted her gender. (She is my latest rehome I got off Craigslist for myself for Christmas).

My girl Nova is very quiet and Cinna will change her chirp intensity to call to us. She is very imprinted on humans and prefers us over the other birds.

Petey my male has a bold personality. He hops and whistles and head bobs. He does so much more but he is two years old roughly. The girls have a different body language but are awesome in their own right. If I were you I would see how much you love your Tiel. Take so e time bond to it. I think tiels are like potato chips... You can't stop at one! :D maybe later you will find you would like to ad a friend. If it was the opposite gender there are ways If handling that while keeping them together and something we can explain.

Hang there and keep asking! We are all here to share experience and love of birds and help each other.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Great!! :) Now he could use some different perches like rope perches, branch perches, different textures for the feet. :) That way you can prevent sore feet or joint problems down the road. It's also good to place some perches back and forth, not just side to side.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Also, I would use plain newspaper, not wood chips. That can grow mold and cause harm. Also, you need to be able to monitor his poop everyday because if he is sick, his poop will show right away. Besides, newspaper is free!

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Your bird will thrive in all that space . I hope you feel good about the new cage.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That new cage is very nice. Lots of room for him. Like others said, you should add a few more perches. It's not that there is anything wrong with the perches the cage came with, it's just that are all the exact same size. The same parts of his feet are always holding his weight and it can cause some discomfort and rarely pressure sores. If you have access to some tree branches that are a safe wood, those make the best perches. They offer varied diameter, birds like to nibble on the bark, and of course they are free and easily replaced when dirty, if you don't feel like cleaning them. While there are a few trees that you should avoid, a lot of common trees are safe and good for perches - maple, willow, birch, fruit trees (except cherry), aspen, ect.

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
If your bird can't get to the bottom of the cage, is it ok to use a crushed corn cob bedding (actually it's a cat litter that's crushed corn cob)?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It's better to use papers, the litter bedding can foster mold growth or bacteria since it's not cleaned as often. That's just my opinion though

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's better to use papers, the litter bedding can foster mold growth or bacteria since it's not cleaned as often. That's just my opinion though
And mine! Litters, corn cobs, etc, have a lot of surface area to absorb moisture, which makes a perfect place for bacteria and mold to grow and foster.

Status
Not open for further replies.