• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about a bird cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Maybe I am wrong. I was sure I was told 5/8 max when I had that big cage. Shrug. That was last summer and my cages are 1/2 inch.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
OP, the DIY thread is for making your own toys, etc. there is a food area if you want to explore that. Tiels can eat a mix of good seed and some good pellets. Offer safe veggies. The more you offer the sooner the will try it. Mine like peppers, peas, broccoli, corn, flax seeds to name a few. There are so many things you can offer them.

On the safety board there is a lot of info too about cleaning chemicals, household hazards, safe metals and woods etc.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
5/8ths is only 1/8th of an inch larger than 1/2". For finches, that is enough of an issue, but not for cockatiels IMO.

I'm not really a fan of birdtricks.com, but it does have a sad story that is relevant: A Cockatiel Dies Because Of Improper Cage Bar Spacing
Side by side it looks like a huge difference. I even measured them to make sure it was only 1/8" difference. I think that 5/8" is fine for cockatiels but I wouldn't go any bigger. Zena has 5/8" spacing and her head is about tiel sized but it might be a little bigger. It depends on the gauge of the bar too. With a solid, powder coated cage, the bars aren't going to bend against a tiel head. With the thinner gauge of a travel or flight cage, the bars can give a little. That's where I can see an issue with birds getting their head stuck.

Ashling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mel
When I bought my first cockatiel I was around 10 years old and I knew diddly squat. My nan bought me a tiny cage- maybe 2 feet tall, one and a half feet wide, with a dome top! I think he had two or three toys and was fed mostly seed. I played with him a lot though and he learnt to talk and do tricks. He's eleven years old now and I know a lot more than I did then! :) We all make mistakes at first, and slowly learn more and more. I know how hard it is when you're a kid trying to do the best for your bird.

Basically: bigger cage is better, have your bird out as often as possible, give him toys to play with and things to chew, keep him safe, treat him gently, praise him when he's good, feed him lots of veggies, give him clean fresh water and talk to him often. You will find no better friend than a cockatiel!

Last edited:

Noob

Walking the driveway
Real Name
R.R.A.&C.L.A.
you should try your hand at making some toys, my cockatiel likes shredded drinking straws, shredded paper is good too, and thin viney wicker type wood toys that are easy to shred, He LOVES millet above all else. and is in love with his mirror. He love outside of cage time, he decides when to come out and will put himself up when hes ready for bed

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I just wanted you to know, I wasnt giving wrong info, just giving the topic what I do and what I would recommend instead. I never recommend 15" depth is ok, I never recommended 1" as being ok.

You took it over the top and went a bit crazy. I never see you as a positive person. Ever.

But I'll just leave at that. I think its silly a topic went on for so long and no one has nothing else to add for the OP
s cockatiel. Everyone is worried about the cage that may or may not be able to be replaced and yet no one BUT ME, was curious on the birds health, diet, toys, perches, etc?

For crying out loud.
By you saying your Tiels are in a cage that has 1" inch bar spacing, you are giving people who don't know the wrong impression. They see it as "Well shes has a Tiel in a 1" bar space so why can't I?!"

You never see ME as a postive person?! :huh: You obviously don't know me. Which honestly is better that way :)

The OP asked a question about a bird cage not about health, diet, toys, perches etc. Thats great the YOU mentioned it but he didn't ask :)

ETA to the OP: And also, I made a mistake on the 1/2 inch bar space comment. It should have said 5/8ths. I've always mixed the two up :rolleyes:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I think everyone gets the picture now on cage size and bar spacing. Instead of continuing to the fight on this thread how about if we all step back and and cool down and continue to support the op.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
As entertaining as watching this argument is (and believe me, I was entertained), how about you guys take it to PM if you feel it needs to continue? ;)

While this thread is about the cage mainly, I think if the OP wants to know more about his tiel's health then we can offer him that information. Would you like to know about diet, toys, and other enrichments, Jarklor? :)

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
I saw a caique get his head stuck in a 1' cage, and they are substantially larger than tiels. :( So, be very careful with bar-spacing, and be aware if you choose to take the grate out, that there will be a substantial gap in the bars where it was.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
As entertaining as watching this argument is (and believe me, I was entertained), how about you guys take it to PM if you feel it needs to continue? ;)

While this thread is about the cage mainly, I think if the OP wants to know more about his tiel's health then we can offer him that information. Would you like to know about diet, toys, and other enrichments, Jarklor? :)
Believe me, it can be entertaining for those in the argument too, ESPCIALLY when you start out very innocent and then come back to a mob who over exagerates and lies about you. . :rolleyes: Kinda time consuming, too.

I have nothing against Danielle and dont wish it to be taken to PM. I dont "fight" with people via PM. If I want to say something I'll say it so everyone can read it. I dont do any of that "behind the scenes" drama. :) I actually really dislike that kind of messaging. To be honest, I dislike PMs in general.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Please move on to discuss the ops questions please.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I saw a caique get his head stuck in a 1' cage, and they are substantially larger than tiels. :( So, be very careful with bar-spacing, and be aware if you choose to take the grate out, that there will be a substantial gap in the bars where it was.
This really depends on cage. None of my cages currently have a grate in them, and the spaces left are no larger than 5/8"

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi

This really depends on cage. None of my cages currently have a grate in them, and the spaces left are no larger than 5/8"
It's true of most AE Cages. I used to have a double mac cage, and a conure-sized flight cage, and when the grate was gone, there was a pretty wide gap.

Jarklor

Meeting neighbors
Did I say 1"? Sorry I ment 1/2"

I see why my math teacher said math was important. If I got it right the first time none of this arguing would have happened.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It's true of most AE Cages. I used to have a double mac cage, and a conure-sized flight cage, and when the grate was gone, there was a pretty wide gap.
Its not too bad on my giant double macaw cages, but if I took the grate out of the A&E flight cage, the parrotlets could very easily get out. :( I hate grates.

Jarklor

Meeting neighbors
What does OP stand for? Is it onions and potatoes? I don't think I look like them.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
OP stands for "original poster". Meaning the person who started this thread. You! :)

Jarklor

Meeting neighbors
Luckily I can send back the old cage and get a full refund. Just in case, I may keep my old cage for a different bird. Would it work for a canary or a conure.

My dad and mom are separated and since I already got a present from my dad, my mom can get a new bird cage for me. I may be ordering this cage tonight: https://m.hayneedle.com/index.cfm?id=PRP106&event=product&category_id=1333

I think everyone said that this was a good cage but I want to be absolutely sure that everyone else doesn't have any objections.

Last edited:

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I have no objections! You will need to invest in some perches and toys to fill that cage, though. Good thing is that it is large enough for up to 3 tiels so if you decide you are a bird addict then you will have room for a couple more. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.