• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Queen of Bavaria emergency Blue Pearl, Tampa, Fl

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
If your bird doesn't chew there is no problem. Bailey didn't the first 6 months but then he starting chewing. Bailey got stuck in his sleepy hut, that's another story so I took it away. Well he really like that hut. So I think it triggered this behavior. I knew a new cage was coming soon so I didn't think that the small amount of paint missing was deadly. WRONG! I thought the paint was safe! Wrong! :mad: I am so angry. Monday will tell a lot, another x-ray to tell if gizzard is clear and blood works to see if any kidney of liver damage done. I got his new stainless steel cage last Thursday so that's the end of that. When I get a caught up with all this expense I would like to get the Canary out the the powder coated cage as well. Not because he will chew but it is the same company and I can't stand to look at it! I feel sorry for all the people that have there babies in potentially deadly cages! There is no telling how many birds died and no one is the wiser. I was SHOCKED when they told me it was paint. I am still SHOCKED! THIS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE! Knowing what I know today I would never put a bird in any powder coated cage without testing it first! NO WAY! I WILL NEVER BY ANOTHER POWDER COATED CAGE! PERIOD!

Last edited:

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
You can't trust anybody or anything anymore and the bird industry is terrible that way! All the time you hear about a cage, a toy, a food, etc been bad for them...

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
have you done blood tests for lead and zinc? the very same thing happened with my meyer's parrot and she tested positive for both. after the chelation treament for heavy metal toxicity, she was back to normal. I found the paint chips in her droppings also, but they did not show up on xray. That is why I recommend the blood tests vs xray, because it could still be in his system even if not visible on xray.
Blood test could not be done. Bailey was to dehydrated and had lost to much weight. However the x-rays were clear and you could see the chips of paint with no problem. This coming Monday will tell all. Both x-rays and blood test will be done. How did your bird ingest this. Was it from a painted cage? If so can you tell me the brand?

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
By the way just wanted everyone to know Bailey has returned to his sweet self, talking, giving kisses and flying like a MASTER once again. Hoping next Monday brings good news. Bailey is still on meds twice a day and formula once in the am to try and put weigh on him. He is loving that time. I had him since he was 8 weeks old and he has somewhat reverted back to being a baby. NOT all bad. Loving and trusting again. That was one thing that was so upsetting after having him at the emergency clinic for 4 days. Shots every 2 hours and subcutaneous fluid I think 6 times a day to flush out the poison. He was not himself at all when I took him home. The site of my hand freaked him out. Just me touching him he would scream. I had to towel him, which I have never had to do to get his meds in him. I didn't think he would ever be the same. Well he is back to himself and I can feed him and give his meds with no problem. It was like starting off from scratch with a bird that wasn't tame, a bird I didn't know. I even got a couple of bites. Heart breaking but it's behind me now. Bailey is back better than ever! :dancing:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Update! Bailey blood works came back negative for lead and zinc. His gizzard still has a good amount paint chips but the Dr. said it could take months to flush out. I haven't heard from the distributor or the pet shop owner as of yet. Will contact them again next week. Well he is off all meds and hand feedings. Global Pet Expo event in Orlando March 12-14, 2014, and having a pretty large business bring a copy of the diagnosis from Dr. Lightfoot to give to the Company from China that will be represented there. We shall see. I will be persistent. :tmsmakesme:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am going to Global! I am glad the metal toxicity test is negative. :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies