• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Queen of Bavaria emergency Blue Pearl, Tampa, Fl

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Bailey given meds twice a day with some hand feelings to try to put weigh on. He is glad to be home but very touchy. He has been given so many shots, subcutaneous fluids since last Sunday that just the site of a hand upsets him. Very sad indeed. He is not himself. Always loved to be snuggled and love on, flipping on his back for belly rubs! Oh crap, like starting over. Hand feeding went well. He hadn't forgot that! He was the hardest baby to wean, OMG! Glad to have him home. Waiting on new stainless cage and can't figure out what to put him in that's safe. Right now deep storage container will not work, he hates it. He is not suppose to fly because he is still anemic so have him in a soft sided carrier until I can figure something out. He has taken off several times when I am holding him so although he is feeling better he is hard to slow him down! At least he can fly. When I took him in Sunday he was falling over and couldn't fly at all. Pretty scary.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: Glad he is doing better.

KeroRocks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sonia
I don't understand why you won't post the cage brand? Other people who have parrots need to know that there could be danger there. Why are you making a big deal out of saying you will post the brand name soon but not doing it?

I do hope that Bailey is doing better and on the road to recovery.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's because Beakface needs to get the cage tested first, for proof before any solid accusations are made. There are rules on this forum, Sonia.

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Poor baby. Hope he recovers quickly :(

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think it's because Beakface needs to get the cage tested first, for proof before any solid accusations are made. There are rules on this forum, Sonia.
Yes, thank you.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Bailey is a stranger. Hope he gets over all this stress! I miss my little man. I guess in time. Very sad. He screams at the site of a hand! :(

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Any improvement in Baily? I have been wondering.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yes, everyday he shows improvement. I will bring him back the end of the week for x rays to see how much zinc is still left in his gizzard. Also blood tests to see if any liver or kidney damage as been done. Bailey is kept in travel carrier to limit excerise. I do have him out for med's 2 X day and 2 hand feedings and he does fly at those times. Dr prefers very limited excerise the first week. Thanks for asking. :dancing:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that the zinc has passed and he has not suffered any permanent damage.

Matt

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
have you done blood tests for lead and zinc? the very same thing happened with my meyer's parrot and she tested positive for both. after the chelation treament for heavy metal toxicity, she was back to normal. I found the paint chips in her droppings also, but they did not show up on xray. That is why I recommend the blood tests vs xray, because it could still be in his system even if not visible on xray.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Bailey was to weak and in critical condition to do blood work until he was stable, like I said one week or 10 days from when I picked him up, then test. He needs to gain weight and he was dehydrated also. Anyway I will wait for 10 days and if he is stable I will do all test and and a xray to check his gizzard.
Zinc showed up on Xray in his gizzard! Paint wouldn't show unless zinc was there in a xray. Anyway I think this Friday I will take him in for Xray and blood works to show if any damage has been done. Hopefully I will have some good news.
I hate to put him threw this, but what choice do I have.
New Stainless Steel Cage by Animal Environments to be delivered on Thursday AM :dance4: :dance4: , thank God!
Poor Bailey :(

Last edited:

Tohru1529

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I am praying for your bird how is he doing?

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I hope that the zinc has passed and he has not suffered any permanent damage.

Matt
Thanks Matt. It's on my mine trust me 24/7. Hope he has gain enough weight back by his next appointment to do blood work. If not I will have to wait until he has. I really hope that the X-rays show all zinc has passed threw his gizzard so I can stop all meds and hand feedings. He is loving all the fuss and attention though! :dancing:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Well Bailey is doing good. Still on meds and formula. Appt. for x-ray coming Monday and blood work. I AM HOPING BLOOD WORK COMES BACK WITH NO DAMAGE TO KIDNEY OR LIVER! I got in touch with Pet store they also gave me distributor name and number. Pet store owner has not called but i think waiting for all documentation from Dr Lightfoot and x-rays from Blue Pearl. All the staff very nice at the pet store. The distributor in denial! That doesn't surprise me but whatever. I let him know this was not going to go away! I was not surprised. I guess killing our love ones is not the companies proprieties, it all about the money. He let me know he has never, I mean never experience this! His salesman however who sells to the small store in Orlando told me he owned a pet store years ago and he had to close it do to zinc in the cages! I let him know just my Dr. a lone has treated up to 1000 cases in the last 15 years. What about all the birds that died and didn't get help due to lack of funds or birds just being found dead in the bottom of the cage? Unfortunately this company owner is Chinese and also lives in China from what I was told! Just my luck! Anyway I would hope that the small store would at least give me the money back on the cage. I don't expect them to cover medical expenses caused by a company out of China INLESS THEY HAVE INSURANCE FOR THIS TYPE OF THING. I do want the company to be accountable for my medical expenses! I cannot sell or give away this cage! It needs to be dumped! We shall see. The head cheese from the distributor asked me if I had sent a sample to be tested yet. I said and if the diagnosis and the x-rays don't convince you why would I spend another 60.00 to test paint. Would that make a difference. He stuttered! Do I need to spend more money to prove that Bailey almost died of zinc poisoning? One thing is for sure Dr. Lightfoot is one of the best Avian Vets in the country! She is very specific on her diagnosis! PLEASE IF YOU POSSIBLE HAVE A BIRD THAT MIGHT CHEW ON HIS CAGE TEST IT FIRST! I CANNOT DISCUSS COMPANY AT THIS TIME BUT MOST ALREADY KNOW. Baileys new Animal Environment stainless steel cage was delivered last Thursday and he was glad to be out of an acrylic travel cage. He is in a MaCaw cage custom for him with the bar spacing 1'. You have to look to find him. He loves all the room and he cover's the entire cage. I had a sleeper shelf made and he loves it.

Last edited:

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
Well Bailey is doing good. Still on meds and formula. Appt. for x-ray coming Monday and blood work. I AM HOPING BLOOD WORK COMES BACK WITH NO DAMAGE TO KIDNEY OR LIVER! I got in touch with Pet store they also gave me distributor name and number. Pet store owner has not called but i think waiting for all documentation from Dr Lightfoot and x-rays from Blue Pearl. All the staff very nice at the pet store. The distributor in denial! That doesn't surprise me but whatever. I let him know this was not going to go away! I was not surprised. I guess killing our love ones is not the companies proprieties, it all about the money. He let me know he has never, I mean never experience this! His salesman however who sells to the small store in Orlando told me he owned a pet store years ago and he had to close it do to zinc in the cages! I let him know just my Dr. a lone has treated up to 1000 cases in the last 15 years. What about all the birds that died and didn't get help due to lack of funds or birds just being found dead in the bottom of the cage? Unfortunately this company owner is Chinese and also lives in China from what I was told! Just my luck! Anyway I would hope that the small store would at least give me the money back on the cage. I don't expect them to cover medical expenses caused by a company out of China INLESS THEY HAVE INSURANCE FOR THIS TYPE OF THING. I do want the company to be accountable for my medical expenses! I cannot sell or give away this cage! It needs to be dumped! We shall see. The head cheese from the distributor asked me if I had sent a sample to be tested yet. I said and if the diagnosis and the x-rays don't convince you why would I spend another 60.00 to test paint. Would that make a difference. He stuttered! Do I need to spend more money to prove that Bailey almost died of zinc poisoning? One thing is for sure Dr. Lightfoot is one of the best Avian Vets in the country! She is very specific on her diagnosis! PLEASE IF YOU POSSIBLE HAVE A BIRD THAT MIGHT CHEW ON HIS CAGE TEST IT FIRST! I CANNOT DISCUSS COMPANY AT THIS TIME BUT MOST ALREADY KNOW. Baileys new Animal Environment stainless steel cage was delivered last Thursday and he was glad to be out of an acrylic travel cage. He is in a MaCaw cage custom for him with the bar spacing 1'. You have to look to find him. He loves all the room and he cover's the entire cage. I had a sleeper shelf made and he loves it.
Wow, what horrible people! Why would you sell a product for birds if you knew it would kill! Now I'm scared about the paint on my cage :C

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You can take the cage into a good powdercoating company and have it sandblasted and coated with food grade pc for peace of mind but once the coating is gone, the bars themselves are not safe.

As BeakFace said though, it's sad to think of all the birds that loose their lives or become ill due to their cage.

animallover

Jogging around the block
:jawdrop1: OMG so sorry to hear about Bailey. My thoughts and prayers go for you and Bailey. Please don't blame yourself. You were told it was lead free paint and safe. Don't beat yourself up. I agree call the store and tell them immediately and if you can contact the manufacturer of the cage do the same and tell them you are consulting a lawyer for false advertisement and endangering your baby. Praying very hard for you........please keep us posted. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: