• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poll : is your bird/birds hormonal right now? (And some community support if you need it. Lol)

Is you bird hormonal right now?

• Total voters

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Taco's hormonal fits are getting so ridiculous it's almost hilarious.

This morning he was so worked up that he just kind of...pulverised his nutriberries. Not a speck eaten, just crushed to dust. Like, buddy. Why?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I love birds with some spunk. :hug8:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Do not mess with the nest. In fact, don't even look at it! :rant:
He sure is quite the builder isn't he, and for sure wants it to himself. :extremeanger:

Jenks has been hit or miss here lately. One second cuddle bug the next Velociraptor. He just can't make up his mind. :explode:

Need to have volume on. As a parront I can relate to this video....:laughin:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
My tiel has been doing her mating chirp dance the past couple of days while in the cage . When I take her out she doesn't do it. But I do have to cook and have to put her in sometimes for her own safety, I changed her toys, moved her cage and perches, made her a new foraging toy with millet inside of the vine tower so she has to chew the vine to get to the millet. She is also on a 14 hour night scheduel now for 10 more days. She tried to mate with the toy after eating from it so I had to put it on another perch where she doesn't have room to stick her butt in the air. At least there is no eggs from her ! So far so good. She is 1 year 8 months old. Im kinda worried about her pin feathers, she is screaming more then usual when preening and moving ;(

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Taco has become violently aggressive toward Aurélie, and can't be left with free reign of the room anymore. He did everything in his power to hurt her before I intervened, and then he went for me.

I'll be glad when this is over.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How long do hormones last and how often?
Anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks. Longer if artificially stimulated with improper handling.

A young adult experiencing hormones for the first time tend to be rather intense and long lasting for the first few seasons. Things smoothen out somewhat as the bird matures.

You can expect the same sort of thing from a rescued adult bird that has had a tragic past. A new world. New environment. Much better food. New blood (potential mates). It awakens many things in your bird.

Steff

Meeting neighbors
Anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks. Longer if artificially stimulated with improper handling.

A young adult experiencing hormones for the first time tend to be rather intense and long lasting for the first few seasons. Things smoothen out somewhat as the bird matures.

You can expect the same sort of thing from a rescued adult bird that has had a tragic past. A new world. New environment. Much better food. New blood (potential mates). It awakens many things in your bird.
Thanks for the information she’s only 1 so I guess it gives me something to look forward to lol

Chickadee85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
My tiel Finnigan has been trying to have "naughty" time with my hand nearly every time I let him out of his cage. Which is better than last season, he was so horrible he took chunks of flesh off my fingers and my ear. I sat and cried more than once, not because it hurt (which it did) but because my little boy that was so sweet, and cuddly had turned into a hateful monster I didn't know. It took a long time for him to come out of his first hormonal season. I wasn't sure I was going to survive. I'm hoping this time his vigorous flights around the house will help wear him out.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Taco has become violently aggressive toward Aurélie, and can't be left with free reign of the room anymore. He did everything in his power to hurt her before I intervened, and then he went for me.

I'm sorry. I hope it gets better soon

I'm sorry, that sounds difficult. I hope it gets better soon!

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Moe is hormonal almost all year round -- she's constantly stuffing her butt in the air and getting jiggy with EVERYTHING. I mean everything. The perch. The playstand. The food bowl.

As far as nippiness goes, though, she's been an angel. She doesn't go attack-bird or possessive at all. It's just the constant masturbation that kills me. No eggs though, hallelujah!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Moe is hormonal almost all year round
It's really interesting to know how much undisturbed sleep she gets every night and what kind of food she is eating.

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
It's really interesting to know how much undisturbed sleep she gets every night and what kind of food she is eating.
Of course! She gets about 10-11 hours of sleep a night. Bed time is around 8 or 9 PM and she makes her morning flight to her play stand by 7 most mornings.

Food consists of Harrison’s/zupreem natural depending on how well I’ve planned (or if one is on sale...). She’s not a super picky eater. She gets chop in the morning (whatever’s usually safe and in season at the farmers market).

I kind of blame her previous owner :/ when I took her, they gave me a gallon bin of her “seed mix” which she happily told me she created herself. It had lots of cheez-it’s and sunflower seeds, among other things. She also loved doing the full body pet. Her first eight years were nothing but mixed signals and terrible food, I think. My vet just shrugged and said let me know if she has another egg! (Which she hasn’t had since she’s been with me).

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I was going to say no, but Basil (9 year old linnie) has gone from 0 to 60 this week. He's burrowing under cage papers, and screaming and flying at me when I dare do something as audacious as feed them.