• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poll : is your bird/birds hormonal right now? (And some community support if you need it. Lol)

Is you bird hormonal right now?

• Total voters

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My two male budgies are just getting over it now. One mature, one a teenager, and both molting too. Hell on earth.
Jack (youngest) was humping every brightly colored toy and perch in the cage, this seemed to upset Minty and they both ended up separated for their own safety. As it was Jack's first taste of the hormones, along with the molt, he seemed to be struggling to cope with it (overwhelmed?).
All is good now. The boys are back together, feeding and preening each other but it's two weeks we could have done without. I'd rather raise hormonal teenage twin daughters.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sydney don´t stop humping stuff, the cotton boing is victim number 1 - always. He lives alone so I just let him at it.
Nube has been doing the clicky dance... I was worried about these two as I don´t want them falling out. They are both 6 months old now, just finished their first molt, so I was scared that they would fight when hormones kick in, at first Nube would try feeding Lapis abut would be rejected, but he persisted and finally Lapis allowed him. The other day I caught Nube mounting Lapis... so they seem happy.. for now. I have a good eye on them.
Aldora is wanting more chicks again.. her mating call is LOUD!. Jaime has been feeding her through the grid (they have the divider in for his safety).

I never have problems with their behaviour towards me. Apart from Aldora but she´s always like that.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...the budgies are fine...Sunshine Tiel is going nuts, and Igor just looks at him. :rolleyes:

Buddy's back to building nests again...and Milton is lovey-dovey and wants to sit with me all day...and so it goes...

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The.Entire.Room

It's nuts! Dr. Orosz said this year's hormones have been crazy. She was seeing them one after the other. She gave me melatonin that they have specifically for birds for Kari and Julip's water. I just added it to all the water bowls. It's supposed to help suppress bird hormones. I'll give anything a whirl at this point.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The.Entire.Room

It's nuts! Dr. Orosz said this year's hormones have been crazy. She was seeing them one after the other. She gave me melatonin that they have specifically for birds for Kari and Julip's water. I just added it to all the water bowls. It's supposed to help suppress bird hormones. I'll give anything a whirl at this point.
Interesting! Please let us know how that goes!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hormones- yes. Elvis has been nonstop - well he's always nonstop- but even more nonstop lately. And last night he decided he was going to not actually sleep and instead would scream until 10:45 pm and then was up at 6:45 am, also screaming, to be let out of his cage. Sigh.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Wally wants to bite everything these days, but shes not yet in "the mood" so I imagine its only going to get worse from here :meh: Luna, on the other hand, has been doing his skirt dance every chance he gets :buzzbee:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tau has officially joined the fray. She's singing, screaming and attacking anything that moves. If it isn't moving she gives a nudge then attacks. Even the poor cage is getting some.
I :angel1: every time I have to go anywhere near her. She's even attacking the air around her. As for preening, it's more like a frenzied flea chase.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm sorry, I somehow missed the last 4 responses. I'm not sure how I missed that. How is everyone's birdies doing now? I started this thread about 2 weeks ago.

I don't want to jinx myself by saying this but I think Blu is winding down a tiny bit. I was bitten like 3 or 4 days ago but the last 2 days he's been much sweeter and calmer. He has not even flown up to the curtains at all today to try to find a nesting spot.

For a while there I wondered if I ruined our relationship somehow because he hated my hands and wanted them dead. But only in certain positions, unbeknownst to me. Some positions were ok to scritch. But then also out of nowhere he would go into attack mode and literally stalk and try to maul them. He hasn't done that in two days though so I guess it wasn't something I did but just probably frustration that my hand wasn't cooperating with his sexual advances. That's just a guess. I am not sure where the love/hate came from but I'm glad it's better now.

Hope all of your birds are better now too!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am getting skirt danced to death over here :lol:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Changed my vote... Full-on sexy Pi noises and Leia has started barbering again :( It's likely to be hormone-related - she did this last year and I did the full battery of blood and faecal tests then. Last year her vet and I thought she was too young for hormonal intervention, but I'll consider it this year if it gets bad.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java is singing me the song of his people everyday for about an hour. He has a LOT more to say recently and his beak is beginning to lighten. He isn't aggressive with anyone but he could be warming up. When I first got him, he had gone into season probably two weeks later, so this is the first time I'm witnessing the transition.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update:
The hormones have started. This little smudge starts lunging at my hands whenever I put them in the cage to straighten up or rotate toys. He's had a lot to say lately and his beak is getting whiter everyday.

Don't let those beady eyes fool you. Just 5 minutes ago he bit me while I was fixing his toys, and continued to lunge at me until I took my hand out of his cage. Little turd.
20190311_181817.jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Not necessarily hormones. He's more confident. More at home. More trying to manipulate his world. All good stuff.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not necessarily hormones. He's more confident. More at home. More trying to manipulate his world. All good stuff.
Ah... well good for him but those bites hurt, especially when he grinds his beak down. I'm glad he's happy :fairy2: he's such a character