• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird owner :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A white face tiel? I love those.

Does your brother share your bedroom, if that's where you will keep your bird?

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Yes, a white face. He was the sweetest thing, he already knew how to step up and would already sit on my shoulder.

My brother doesn't share a bedroom with me, I have my own bedroom. I plan on keeping the cage in my room, is that the best idea?

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Hi, can I bring up a few more questions? All applying to cockatiels :)

1-Best cage for tiels? I'd prefer to stay under 200, but can go a little over if necessary.
2- Best food? Price doesn't really matter.
3-Best toys? Again, not picky on price.

I'd love anymore information on tiels! Thanks!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would get a flight cage so the cockatiel would have plenty of space to stretch her wings.

As for food, a tiel should eat about 50% pellets and 50% seeds, along with plenty of fresh foods. Some good brands for pellets are Roudybush and Harrisons. Some good seed mixes are Dr. Harvey's and Goldenfeast.

Tiels enjoy shreddable toys like balsa wood, piñata type toys, palm toys, paper toys, sea grass, etc.

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Also, should I get the cockatiel version of Dr. Harvey's? What type of roudybush (small bird?)

Sorry for all of the questions!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That cage would work, sorry I can't tell you anything about it quality wise, etc.

Dr. Harvey's Colossal Cockatiel blend is good. I would get the mini or crumble size for the Roudybush.

If you get a cockatiel, it's good to feed what the breeder (if it's a baby) has weaned him on. I would look for a breeder that weans their babies onto pellets and veggies, rather than just seeds. If your getting a rescue, you will need to feed him whatever he is already eating, until you can switch him to something more healthy if needed.

Last edited:

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Alright thank you! I may search for other cages, but that ones nice on the wallet. Also, what air filters do you guys recommend?

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Also, I just checked Craigslist.. that cage I had linked is on there for 35$, still in box. The person thought it would be big enough for there cockatoo, but it was too small. Would you guys get it? I'm still not sure.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@iamwhoiam do you know if this cage is good quality?

I have an Austin air purifier, and I like it. I hear Rabbit Air is also really good.

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Well, two things happened Monday. First, the cage that I wanted they decided to keep. Second, I went back to talk about getting the white faced tiel where I watched a 90ish year old lady take her. I'm sad, but I hope she takes good care of her! Back to square one for me...

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm sure the right bird for you will come along soon!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh NO! Well that just means it was not your bird.

I have 2 of the cages you mentioned. I think they'd be fine for your tiel. My tiels are in a same-sized cage but I believe it's by A&E, only because when I switched birds around that is how it came out.

The roudybush food comes in several sizes, I had mine on smaller (crumbles or nibbles) but they like the mini better.

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Okay, sounds good!

I just got a call from a lady.. she had a lutino tiel that was hit by a car that she has nursed back to health, but she says he'll never fly. He's apparently scared of new people, but once he knows you well he is a big sweetheart, but needs help learning to step up. She would be willing to give me his *huge* flight cage, 20lbs of roudybush, and all of his toys for free..(although I wouldn't pick him up until September when she is 100% sure that he's healed) I feel this would be hard, but I would feel good doing this. (He's a gorgeous bird aswell!) Opinions?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor bird! It's great that he's going to be okay. I would go and meet him and see if you make a connection. If you decide to get him, maybe you could go visit between now and September so he gets to know you. Many tiels are shy at first, but then become more bonded after time. It might take a while, however. It seems to me that it takes many birds nine months to a year to get really comfortable in a home.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Good luck!!!

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Well, I met him yesterday and he was super sweet (but VERY reserved and shy), and I instantly had a connection with him. But, he is certaintly in rough shape, and certainly has a long long recovery time. She has another lady interested, and if she doesn't put a deposit (she wanted to see who's a better fit) I'm going to go for it!!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I hope you get him!!