• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird owner :)

BashTinkLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
OST

Few species come under wild life preservation act. CBC, Alexandrine , Indian ring neck to name a few. I wanted IRN as I had one when I was in school. But after thorough research we zeroed in to cockatiels as till now they are not banned to be kept as pet in our country.
CBC is under wild life preservation in your country? But CBC is from Brazil. IRN and Alexandrine may come under preservation in your country. Like in my country, cockatoo, electus and lorry...

BashTinkLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
OST
She's a doll. I wanted a baby but just had a rough time then an adult needed a home & after a month of pics & vids
I flew himin from TX.

I don;t have that bond that you can get when you raise them from a baby but still he is a wonderful companion.
Their calm character wins heart. I don't find my CBC has strong bond with me (I mean, not yet), maybe because she is still baby. The strongest bond that I feel is with my first ever fischer lovebird. He is very aggressive to all family member, except me. But I feel a very strong bond with my fischer. I can say like it's "overbonding" and "one man" bird.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
CBC is under wild life preservation in your country? But CBC is from Brazil. IRN and Alexandrine may come under preservation in your country. Like in my country, cockatoo, electus and lorry...
It was in newspapers sometime back. Paper said conures, finches ,IRN, Alexandrine.

Will find out again.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Their calm character wins heart. I don't find my CBC has strong bond with me (I mean, not yet), maybe because she is still baby. The strongest bond that I feel is with my first ever fischer lovebird. He is very aggressive to all family member, except me. But I feel a very strong bond with my fischer. I can say like it's "overbonding" and "one man" bird.

How long have you had the CBC? They may just be a more aloof bird or some birds are different. Some birds stillthink they are birds & your CBC has your other birds too.
They do seem to be calmer than GCC who are really active energiser bunnies.
I never had a GCC but have seen a few & been around babies. Babies like to play first & do there thing so they not as interested in sitting still to be held. I think you said he/she follows you so that means alot.

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
I just researched what birds are illegal in my country, CBC is not one of them. So I'd be ok there!

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Id say a Canary-wing parakeet would be a good choice as well. Mines moderately quiet, sweet, and a real cuddle bug! She's my first parrot and a real cuddle bug! My 10 year old brother is totally fine with handling her, so I think your brother would be fine too :)

Canary wings are very stubborn, so if you decide on one, be prepared for that!:cwpkt::)

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
I'll look into them! Ha, I have a French bulldog so I'm used to stubbornness :p

Can anyone answer my conure question I posted, you guys rock!

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
After reading and visiting a local bird rescue, I have fell in love with Sun conures. Does anyone own a sun conure and can give me some pointers? Or should I start a new thread on a different part of the site?

RandyMiller

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Randy Miller
I think you should consider buying lovebirds as you already have some experience with them.

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
I am a huge fan of lovebirds, but from what I read they can be very nippy/not child friendly? My cousins, Zola, was gorgeous and sweet, but didn't react well to children under 10? Or have you guys had different experiences? I would really enjoy a lovebird, so would getting one from a certain situation make a difference?

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Okay, apartment has said no to conures because of noise. I worry about cockatiels because of the dust, so that might not be the best because of noise. Still waiting on opinions on lovebirds? Would anyone here recommend budgies?

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
i would they are so much fun and it is interesting to see them act out with one another but to tell you the truth it is different from a parrot ... i do think that they make much less noise and are easier to take care of in many ways ....... but i would still recommend cockatiels because of thei loving nature and they make quite some dust but to tell you the truth my dogs make more mess than my cockatiel used to make ;)

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Ha! Should I maybe go to a place with 'tiels and see if my brothers allergies act up around them? I do love every aspect about cockatiels aside from the dust..

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I think some budgies can be just as loveable as tiels. Just depends on the bird. :) Here is my Maui. He's super lovable and loves head scritches and attention. IMG_20170620_002123.jpg

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
He's gorgeous! If my brother doesn't react well to cockatiels, budgies are my next choice.

I'd be okay with spending a good amount of time there! I probably would fall in love with one during that time! :D

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
Honestly I think budgies make THE sweetest sounds. I could listen to their happy chirp all day!

I really don't need more birds but I would go for a budgie if I had the space!

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
i do agree with you guys my budgies were so much fun the only thing that makes me thinking about guetting a bigger bird is because i want a BIGGER bird :loltears::loltears: if budgies could be cockatiel size it would be awesome !!!

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
I do like the size of cockatiels and there personality. I'm a fan of bigger birds, dream bird being an African grey. It'll happen someday!:p

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Just got back from a local pet store, who sells tiels. My brother did have some slight sneezing, but nothing too bad. I think if I got another air filter or two he'd be okay? Thoughts?

On the other hand.... I might have fallen in love with a gray and white 'tiel...