• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird owner :)

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
I really hope so too! Thank you guys SO much for your help! Also, what is your tiels favorite fruits/veggies?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
As far as fruit goes, my tiels will only occasionally eat apples. They like veggies better. They like things like broccoli, green beans, leafy greens like lettuce, kale, cilantro and parsley, and sprouts. Many tiels also like peppers, carrots and sweet potatoes, but mine aren't too crazy for them.

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Thanks! I find it interesting that only yours will eat apples. It looks like it's answering questions and phone calls for me all day, the other lady wants him as well to add in her aviary so I'm filling out questions about me and a quiz about tiels... super nervous..

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Welcome and good luck! I hope you get chosen for the tiel. He sounds like a sweetie :)

I find it odd the other woman interested wants to put him in an aviary when he can't fly due to his injury...?

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
I do too, but apparently she has had injured birds in there in the past..? I hope that fact puts him in my favor.

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Hi there. Slight update. The one lady is recovering from a medical emergency so the adoption of CJ (cockatiel) is postponed.
RandyMiller, I've heard canaries are more of a hands off bird? I'd prefer something I could handle.

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Ahhh.. now the lady is leaning towards keeping him. :crycry:

I don't know what to do...

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I hope it works out!

madison nicole

Walking the driveway
Ahhh.. now the lady is leaning towards keeping him. :crycry:

I don't know what to do...
Well honey, the only thing I can say is if she does keep him, it wasn't meant to be. I promise there are plenty of birds out there waiting to be found by you. Maybe if you gave us the area you live in we could help you find something that may be worth checking out? If not I totally understand that as I'm a minor and I find giving my area out debatable but I trust these folks like my family.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
I'm in the Portland area. She's leaning towards keeping him.. sigh.

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Do you guys have opinions on raising babies? There's someone who wants 20$ for a adorable peach faced lovebird, but would need hand fed.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Do you have time? How many feedings per day is he on?

The reason people sell th em cheap is cause it gets so tiring to handfeed. But if you have time, and the breeder will help you get started -- it's a good way to go. Supposedly they'll bond more with you if you are the 'feeder.' I don't really know if it's that or just the early handling that helps you bond with them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I will say my first lovie was a peach face, he was so beautiful. The woman didn't want me to take him till he weaned, the man said he'll be fine. Brought him home and he wouldn't eat, he sat sadly on the bottom of the cage and was dead the next morning.

I've hand fed numerous others with success. That one just seemed to grieve himself to death.

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
I'm not sure, the link just got sent into me by a friend, I'll look into it. I do have time, way too much time haha.

That is awful.. my cousin raised hers from an egg (it was an awful situation, the people had no clue about anything when it came to birds and they thought that the egg wasn't fertile but she was at there house and gave it a chance.) He was the cutest thing, obsessed with Breyer horses (loved to sit on them!). He passed last year at the age of 14.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I rescued my TD when he/she was just 21 days old. TD will be four months old on September 1. Of course, at just 21 days old, I had to hand feed him till weaning. It's a lot of work! And, once you do some research and find out all the things that can go wrong while handfeeding a baby bird with a crop (and those without a crop for that matter), if you're like me, you'll be scared to death all the time (slight exaggeration)! I still expect something to go wrong with TD on a daily basis due to his/her rough start.

That said, I wouldn't change any of it for the world! To hear that sweet little voice start whistling the Andy Griffith theme song every morning, and asking me play "Peek-a-boo", or asking me, "What 'cha doin'?" or any of the other phrases and tunes he/she already knows (gee, I sound like a proud mama, but why not? I mean, I do have the world's smartest cockatiel, right? :)... it's a sure bet that each of my days starts with a smile! That's a pretty awesome gift that TD gives me every day.

TD is my first cockatiel. Pretty much my first "pet" bird. I have raised a Band Tailed Pigeon (a fledgling about to be eaten by feral cats last summer... I soft released him back into the wild months later).

I can say that I never knew how truly intelligent cockatiels are. Nor how much "work" their proper care requires...but it's worth it!

I've been following this thread since the beginning. It seems a lot of cockatiels choose apples as their favorite fruit. I've read of several who really don't care for fruit but love veggies. TD is this way as well.

Can't wait for you and your bird to find each other. I think you are going to be a great parront! Aren't the people here on the Avenue the best? Don't know if I'd have had such success with TD IMG_20170731_181600165_BURST004_20170828042104013.jpg without them!

Attachments