• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird owner :)

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Hi, I'm new to this forum and super happy to be here. Here in a few months, hopefully in September, im going to finally get my first bird! I have been researching, but I can't decide what to get. I would love it if someone could help me decide!

Info-
-I want something on the smaller side
-Something that can be tamed easily
-Gets along with children (I have a 8 year old brother who is very calm and mature for his age)
-Something that a beginner can handle
-I'd be okay with getting 2 if necessary
(P.S this isn't my first time around birds! My cousin had a lovebird and a sun conure that id help take care of)
Thank you SO much! Have a great day!

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Have you thought of maybe a Cockatiel? They really are such sweet birds. There is a section on this forum about different species, it might help you to look it over to have an idea of some characteristics. Although...all birds have their own personality, don't expect all birds of one species to be alike. Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
I second the cockatiel suggestion!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I am guessing that you're a minor if you have a brother that young? Something to keep in mind is that birds live a long time. Even a cockatiel can live to into its 20s. Depending on your future plans- college, etc. owning a bird can be difficult. Also, keep in mind that a bird is really a "family" pet that everyone needs to be on board with. No Teflon pans, candles, air freshners, etc. All that in mind, I do agree with everyone that cockatiels are wonderful birds.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:welcome2:
I would agree with the above users in saying that a cockatiel would be a good bird for you. I would recommend visiting a rescue to meet some, and I would always advise people to adopt. :)
That being said, if you are a minor, (like me, I have a brother of a similar age), having a bird can be incredibly difficult. The first thing you have to consider is time. Having to balance school, sports/extra curriculars, and a social life is very hard. I am lucky my friends love Grumbles, as when I stay the night they usually want me to bring him along. Are your parents willing to help out when you are away? Also, what will happen when you go to college? I have to dorm for a year, in which my family is going to care for Grumbles. After that I will find a pet friendly apartment for the 7 other years of vet school. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. I would recommend visiting bird stores and rescues and interacting with different birds.

DamJanet

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vickie
Welcome!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Thank you everyone! Yes, I am a minor. As for college, the same cousin I was talking about would be able to care for the bird while I am at college. I will certainty look into cockatiels! (Sorry for the late reply, I'm on vacation!)

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Hi everyone, we are currently in a 4bdrm apartment while our house is being built. For all cockatiel owners, how much noise do they make? The complex is 100% pet friendly, but I don't know how our one neighbor would appreciate squawking 24/7!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Some are loud and some aren't, so it's hard to say. Definitely not as loud as a bigger bird, but you don't know if he/she will be calling for you frequently. In general females are quieter than males. Maybe you should wait until your house is built?

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
Can confirm that cockatiels are little bundles of sweetness!

Reactions: Mia

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
i confirm too ! my vanille was just a sweet little angel, she was the calm and cuddly one as first pet bird i think cockatiels are just ideal :heart:

AvianObsessed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Paige
Thank you everyone for the replys! Happy to be here :)

Hmm, maybe I should. Although, the people above us have a african grey, so maybe I'll talk to our neighbors and see if they would be ok with a little noise. Thoughts?

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
Really depends on what you are looking for in a little companion and from what you described, it fits the cockatiel perfectly!

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
yes it does i agree with XstatyK and as for the noise if the neighbours are okay with an african grey i don't see why they would not be for a cockatiel !!!!!