• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

need to vent please

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
That kind of occurance just breaks my heart.

@rocky'smom
Glad Sweet Pea did not lay an egg.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about the two birds. Horrible what happened to them but I hope with the care they are getting and giving them time they will both be OK.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
well after some short research on leg bands the one we call 'Clancy' is about 30 years old. 'Toby' is about a year or two younger according to the numbers on the bands. Dr. Tony is contacting several Macaw people also AFA because it's on both bands. the two are doing a bit better tonight, eating/ drinking, both had cones put on because they are up on their feet, Tony is worried that they will start working at those stitches. the police gathered the towels that they were brought in, feathers and took a full report, and a copy of video. Andrea will be staying the night.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
well after some short research on leg bands the one we call 'Clancy' is about 30 years old. 'Toby' is about a year or two younger according to the numbers on the bands. Dr. Tony is contacting several Macaw people also AFA because it's on both bands. the two are doing a bit better tonight, eating/ drinking, both had cones put on because they are up on their feet, Tony is worried that they will start working at those stitches. the police gathered the towels that they were brought in, feathers and took a full report, and a copy of video. Andrea will be staying the night.
Would it be ok to take pictures of them to share with us !

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I really can't find the words for what I'm feeling now.

All I will say is that I'm praying for the speedy recovery of the two birds...
Well,,,I can find the words,,those @$$+0(($ should be brought up to condone for they're stupidity! I honestly hope they never come back for those babies. I pray the birds make a complete recovery and hopefully find a new, responsible home. Thank you Laurie for helping them. You and "G" and Dr. Tony, as well as the rest of the staff ROCK!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
No offense to anyone present but it's pretty obvious that these people can be officially called idiots. After all, who does not know that cats are very well known to like birds and be interested in them? And I don't mean for friendship either.

As Fred says, you can't fix stupid. I hope they both pull through. :angel1::angel1::angel1:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I really can't find the words for what I'm feeling now.

All I will say is that I'm praying for the speedy recovery of the two birds...
The words "shoot to kill" come to mind and I don't mean the cats either ...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Would it be ok to take pictures of them to share with us !
I will have to ask first, but I know that at other times, Dr. Barb has said no because they are going to prosecute those that abandon the birds.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Well,,,I can find the words,,those @$$+0(($ should be brought up to condone for they're stupidity! I honestly hope they never come back for those babies. I pray the birds make a complete recovery and hopefully find a new, responsible home. Thank you Laurie for helping them. You and "G" and Dr. Tony, as well as the rest of the staff ROCK!
I know that we are all rocking a bit slower today then normal. I talked to Nick this afternoon at home. Fast Freddy and him were going to take his sister home to northern MN. she was amazed that we all worked together to do everything possible even when we are half a sleep.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor babies :(

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I will have to ask first, but I know that at other times, Dr. Barb has said no because they are going to prosecute those that abandon the birds.
Oh ! ok that's makes sense. Tragedy's like these makes me feel
ashamed to be part of Humanity...:sad1:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:sad6: Thanks for sharing this story. Hope that T & C are quick to mend, and that they find better families soon :sadhug:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
There mus be a way to get deleted craigslist ads. Might have to soepena craigslist.

You can ask the telephone co to get you that number that called in if its not in the call log too in the event of crime.

Don't think they will be trying to claim the birds as they would have to pay for 2 operations & the birds are not worth much more than there sell value & there;s not enough to hardly cover an emergency vet fee let alone 2 operations.

It is good that at least they had the decency to try to get them medical attention when they full well knew that they were giving them up & even putting themselves in danger but its better they did that than let them bleed out of die from septicemia from cat saliva.

I don't think they will be having anymore birds left alone with cats but you never know...

Still if you make it difficult & chance legal action then you are setting up innocent animals dying as there owners fear to bring them for medical aide.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Dr. Tony has the phone # on his phone it was turned over to police. once you write some thing on the internet it's in the inter-web forever and can be pulled up some how. but all the information was turn over to the police and it's in their ball park now.
I know that they are compiling a list of all current clients and past clients for the past year. this list will be accessible from their I-pads and anybody that calls in saying they need emergency help & are former clients will be checked against that list. if they are not on that list they will be given AEC (animal emergency clinic) addresses and phone #'s. also there will be a list of deadbeats that have not paid their vet bills on their I-pads too. all this info is on the main drive for the clinic, but was only accessible at the clinic. they are changing that policy by Aug 1st. it may come down to, they will no longer see emergency patients at all, all will be sent to AEC.
the cost of treating animals (cats, dogs, ferrets, rabbits and birds) emergency wise and people not paying their bills or abandoning the animal, is costing the clinic tons of money. I know that Dr. Barb is highly considering closing the clinic completely, selling it and retiring. she has talked about it for months and told everybody what her thoughts were several months ago. she is so frustrated will all of this. she is fed up right to the top of her hair with the deadbeats, the abandoners, people that buy animals that figure they do have to pay the costs of keeping their animals healthy and safe.
the dang able thing is it's not the older folks that are doing this, it's the younger generations. I am not going to say the age group because I will not lump everybody in the same group. but this world has a lot younger people that figure the world owes them a huge hunk of $$$ and they don't owe anything. they rent apartments and leave them in a disaster but the is what deposit is for "a cleaning fee". Mummy/ Daddy buy things for them that they don't care for it and when it falls apart, they throw it away and Mummy/ Daddy buys another and another and another. their lives are disposable and everything in is to, that includes animals too. they have been "spoiled rotten" and have had everything given to them, right on the spot. they have never had to work for those things they want, Mummy/ Daddy just give it to them. and little 'spoiled Susie & Sam' don't give cr@p how their credit looks, what they do to themselves by not paying their bills, leaving apts. in ruins and leaving their beloved pet in some clinic or AHS because it no longer the fad. sorry for the rant, but it's bugging the living $^*) of me right now.
'Clancy & Toby' are doing ok this AM. both ate some chop and soaked grains. they will be getting blood drawn today or tomorrow for disease testing. I am allowed to say they are both some type hybrid macaw, 'Clancy' was hatched in FL & 'Toby' was hatched in LA. Dr. Barb was in clinic today for the first time since her 2nd carpal tunnel surgery, she wanted to see those birds and talk to the staff about how things are going to work from Aug 1 on with emergency patients. she changed the phone message also stating that all Emergency patients will be asked to provide a address and phone # to check their status with clinic records.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Certainly not doing emergencies will help the clinic & the Drs.

They deserve to rest & be with family.

Regular clinic will have forms filled out & payment info checked so that they are assured of payment. Everyone needs to get paid for there work & the clinic needs the money to function, pay rent & buy supplies.

Just glad the 2 macaws got lucky & they found the help to live.
Such a shame they have been on this earth 30 years only to fall into such
reprehensible morons who don't know or care that cats like to catch birds.

They have 30 or more years left if they are cared for.

Now they may be bonded & may need to be adopted together which makes it a bit harder for them.

Has to be a way of getting cached craigslist or files from craigslist & the telephone co should have the number that called in if you give them date & approx time.

Best if they do close the emergency as its hard to turn away an animal in need.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Dr. Barb stopped here after her Dr. appt. and PT. I made some iced tea and we chatted about this. She is beyond Pi$$ed off about all of this. I offered my little bit of computer knowledge. I am good at writing up lists, this is my offer a basic table with the names listed as alphabetically, address phone #, their last visit, type of animal, payment paid and if not paid by how much is left on account. something like this:
John Doe last visit: 10/1/2016, cat, (PIF) paid in full
1010- West Whatever Drive
555-555-5555

Jane Doe last visit: 1/1/2017, Bird account owed *** #
1212- East Whatever Rd.
555-555-5555
each star * will mean money amount due. * =$50.00 - $100.00 / **= $101.00 - $150.00 / *** = more then $150.00
with this # being do not serve on any circumstance.
Dr. Barb is going to talk to 'G' about it. 'G' has her own ideas, she is the book keeper for the clinic.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
we tried to clip Bebe's toenails, NO GO. Sweet Pea cuddled into her shoulder nibbled at her earrings for about 5 seconds then was over it.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I believe it's an offence for people in charge of animals to abandon or release them. This includes going away on holiday or moving house and leaving a pet behind to fend for itself, or deliberately dumping an unwanted animal at the roadside or in the bush.

However when a pet is surrendered, a number of documents is usually required. A valid form of photo ID of the owner, pertinent records pertaining to the pet (medical records, a bill of sale, etc.) A completed owner surrender animal agreement and brief profile of the pet’s habits and behaviours.

Because the owners had taken the injured birds to the Vet hospital, than technically the birds haven't been abandoned and because no documentation has been filled in, the birds haven't been surrendered either. So a letter of demand and a invoice for services rendered might need to be sent to the owners. (plus an owner surrender animal agreement.) If this was me, I would seek professional legal advice to ensure that all legalities have been covered to prevent these macaws going back.

I can't give Dr Barb one reason to keep doing what she does. But I know of two macaws that do.