• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

need to vent please

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I want to tap dance on somebody's face. late last night 'G' called and asked if I would go with her to clinic, there was emergency. all I could think of is Elaine's birds and one of them in serious trouble. I said yes and got up, dressed, threw my meds in purse just in case. I check on my two before I left , both were fine, said quick prayer and out the door. 'G' was pulling in the driveway and we took off. I asked if it was one of Elaine's birds, NO. prayers answered. 'G' is jack of all vet trades, nurse, surgical nurse, taking care of the front desk, book-keeper. she basically can do it all. the front of the clinic is dark but you can see there is somebody there. we pulled around to back door, Dr. Tony's car is there, Nick's van is there and Dr. Barb's son's car is there. WOW, this is bad. she beeped the horn and we got out.
Dr. Barb's son Jon opens the back door. we get in and lock the door. Dr. Tony is already in surgery with a macaw, Nick is helping him. Dr. Jon has another macaw in exam room with Nick's sister. Nick's sister was with Nick when he got the phone call that he was needed, she just came with. Why am I there, is running thru my head? once we got purses put down and walked thru the bird kitchen I knew why, there are feathers everywhere, blood droplets everywhere and Elaine's six birds squawking. Dr. Jon asks me to move all Elaine's 6 in to the human kitchen, settle them down for the night, because they are going to have to stay there for a few days. I get the lights on in both the little kitchen and the bigger human kitchen. and start uncovering cages one at a time, moving them slowly to the other side. they all scared and I talk quietly to them calling each by their names. I work slowly so not frighten them any worse then they are already. they are calming down slowly and I left the night light on near their cages.
Nick's sister comes into the little kitchen and introduces herself, Christa. she tells me what happened, apparently some one bought both macaws with in the last month, from CL. they also own cats. they left the macaws out of their cages while they went grocery shopping. yup the cats hurt both macaws, badly. :mad2:
they called the emergency number told Dr. Tony that their cats were seen at that clinic , could they bring the birds there too. thank god, Dr. Tony lives only about 15 to 20 minutes away. he met the people at the clinic and Dr. Jon was there with in a few minutes also. both birds were bleeding and in shock. they called Nick in when Dr. Tony would have do surgery to flush out all the wounds and repair them. Dr. Jon was able to clean out most of the wounds on the other bird. he called 'G' in because he would have do surgery also. 'G' didn't know that Christa was there, but I am fine with that. Christa and I start cleaning up the feathers and blood and sanitize the little kitchen and the trail from the back door. I know that I can not go into surgery suites but those birds are going to need to go into the ICU incubators and they will need to be started and warmed up. I go to intercom and ask if the Dr.'s want me to get them going. Yes, please. those incubators are in quarantine room, I know the procedure for going in that room. I tell Christa what I am going to do and to relax, if she wants she can snooze on the couch. I follow the procedure into all the garb for quarantine. the instructions for incubators is written on white board, in permanent marker, in the Q room. both are warmed up by the time the doc's are out of surgery. both birds are alive, on antibiotics and were doing ok. I asked were their owners were, Dr. Jon shook his head and said as soon the birds were in the Dr.'s hands they left. 10 to 1 they are not clients at all and the clinic has 2 more orphans. the camera did catch their license plate number and their faces at the back door. 'G' will look at it in the morning tomorrow, as today was her day off. 'G' , Christa and I left as the sun was starting to come up. we drove Christa to Nick's house and left when she was in the door.
I called this afternoon and talked to Nick who stayed with the birds all night, plus worked today, he said they were doing ok and had been tube fed. both are weak but breathing ok.
I am so dang angry that somebody would leave two beautiful birds out to be mauled by cats. whether you got the birds off of CL or whatever. it's apparent to me that you do not know WTH you are doing :rage: and should not have birds in the first place. whether you bought those beauties on whim or just got them because you thought birds would be nice to have. you really need to rethink your motive, for getting birds in the first place. it called being responsible for their lives also. if I sound fired up now, you should heard me this morning, I was at the tap dancing stage. I wanted to call the police right there and then. Dr. Tony was mad too but until 'G' can look at the footage and see if she recognizes who they are. we can not call the police. JMHO that is a bunch of bull crackers but I am only volunteer. I really need to get to bed.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I cannot fathom why some people act so heartless and are capable of such stupidity! History is full of such acts! :shake:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
How awful that those macaws had to go through something that's so easily preventable.
I feel your frustration. When I was still working as a CVT I had to go to many a late night emergency and the things I've seen still hurt.
Sending many good vibes to those guys, that they make a full recovery and find a loving home that understands their needs.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Poor birds...its not the cats fault...its the stupid people!!!

Likely they have been to the clinic before with the cats.

Can you check the number the called from?

I suppose one way of another I would like to see them pay & its probably
there pocketbook they value the most.

They brought the birds in so even without signing something may still be liable for there care.

Guess they can dance around what they told the Dr that they left them alone with cats & went shopping...They are certainly guilty of negligence.

I don;t think macaws are that cheap even on craigslist so they must have spent least $1000 for the pair.

Can you try to check macaws sold on craigslist the last month or so? Don't think there would be more than a few pairs & get the info on who bought them?

Hope they recover from it but least they got quick care as they would have surely died otherwise.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When we care so much -- we get hurt a lot.
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Can you try to check macaws sold on craigslist the last month or so? Don't think there would be more than a few pairs & get the info on who bought them?
This is a great idea.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Incomprehensible :rant: I hope they make a full recovery. Keep us posted on their progress. I'm wondering if they will show up for the Macaws.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How very sad. We pound the drum about predators and prey constantly, but many don't hear or they don't care. The good part is they brought the birds to someone for care and didn't just let them die.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
:omg:
That is horrible!!!! I can't imagine how people can be that stupid or careless or negligent.

The good part is they brought the birds to someone for care and didn't just let them die.
I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right... It's scary to think of how many people cared even less than these careless people and just didn't take any action at all. :( Those are the stories we don't hear about.

Please keep us updated on these macaws as much as you can.:sadhug:

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
thank you so much for helping. i hope they make a full recovery. it's so sad that once money comes into the picture people just bail on their pets :(
i wish pet shops and breeders would go through the same procedure for their customers as shelters do. the customer has to go to classes about the parrot they are taking home and accept home visits in which the people working in the shelter check to see how they treat the animal.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Poor babies. I hope they recover fully and quickly.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
This is one of the reasons why I would never get a cat after bringing Kamara into my home.
I love cats, I think they're delightful but there's just so much that can go wrong even if you take precautions especially with a bird and a very small rabbit in the home

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
thank you so much for helping. i hope they make a full recovery. it's so sad that once money comes into the picture people just bail on their pets :(
i wish pet shops and breeders would go through the same procedure for their customers as shelters do. the customer has to go to classes about the parrot they are taking home and accept home visits in which the people working in the shelter check to see how they treat the animal.
Certification should be implemented for "all animals" bought & sold.:judge1:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Those poor, beautiful birds. I'm glad they got them help at least, and that they seem to be hanging in there. I hope they can find out who the people were. Such stupidity!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I talked to 'G' this morning, she went thru the footage from the other night. she thought she recognize the woman but when she called the phone # listed on file, it been disconnected. she sent the pictures to Dr. Barb, Barb didn't think it was the same person. the whole matter was turned over to the police.
both birds are doing a little bit better, eating some on their own, but getting fed also with syringes. the worse of the two has 15 body stitches and punctured air sack. the other has a lot of little scratches and 10 stitches in it's wings. both are duck butted because of their horrible night. I will be looking thru past CL listings for macaws in all 5 surrounding states. some times people just don't remove their ads even if they sold the bird already. I can look. I'm pretty sure the police will be doing the same thing. I agreed with taking classes for all pets but especially birds. their lives are complicated with a lot do's and don'ts. I am firm believer that you are adopting or selling bird, you should have to fill out some type form, just like you do if you were adopting human child. if you can't do that you shouldn't have the bird period JMHO!!!!
Application to use for Avian Adoption | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Nick has a day or 2 off and it's Andrea taking care of 'Clancy & Toby' we don't know their names but that is what the clinic is calling them for the time being. I am still butt dragging tired but I can nap this afternoon. my two are being their little noisy selves and Bebe is found a new toy in his cage. his swing has now become the noise maker in his cage. he sit on his perch reaches over, beaks the swing, pulls all the way back to his perch and sends it flying to the cage wall or into the jingle toy. he is happy and I am leaving it alone. Sweet Pea has not laid a single egg in over week and half YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
ETA: forgot to add both birds have leg band and I researching those to see where they started from and their ages.

Last edited:

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I cringe every time I see videos with birds interacting with predator type animals. It only takes a second of predictor instinct to pop up to kill the bird. I do not let my two cats in my house PERIOD. I hope these people are found out and receive some version of hell for their carelessness. FYI my cats have a nice cozy barn and 20 acres to play on so they're not neglected either.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I really can't find the words for what I'm feeling now.

All I will say is that I'm praying for the speedy recovery of the two birds...

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
This is a terrible situation for the vet to be in ..having to fix them up and more then likely having another couple abandon birds to look after ..I hate people some times :atomic:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
it's not wonder to me that Dr. Barb wants to retire from the business, days like the last two, would want me to tear out my hair roots and all.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Wow... that is a LOT of stitches!!! Poor guys. :( I'm so glad that they have you and everyone at your vet clinic there to support them.

If you are able to use the leg bands to find the pet store or breeders, do you think they would have a record of who has purchased one of their birds? I know that this person claimed that she bought these birds off of CL, but maybe she didn't? Or even if she did, maybe the CL people who sold the macaw originally still have the new owner's contact information?
I hope you or the police find these people soon and teach them that animals are not objects that you can just throw away when they get "broken."
:angry: