• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

need to vent please

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope you feel better...its really nice you volunteer as it helps the animals & gives you a sense of helping put the poor creatures. It is indeed sad to see any animal neglected to the point where its health fails...gut wrenching terrible!

I guess you can look for stolen macaws...finding 2 that meet that description would be pretty easy.

Not really likely thogh as they would have had to have access to 2 macaws & stealing them??? not that easy & if they did
even less likely they would chance getting caught getting them help.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Australia is kinder to its animals than we Americans are, it would seem. Many vets turn away wildlife animals, as only speciality wildlife vets can see them.
'Merica at its best...

I'm not sure but I think the government foots the bill for any vet that treats Australian native wildlife. I personally have handed over Magpies, Tawney Frog-mouth owls and lizards. There are Zoos and Animal Sanctuaries that will take these animals from the vets if they can't be released back into the wild.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I volunteer at a cat adoption center which is run by the local humane society. Several times we've had people just bring cats and leave them. One was wheeled in the center via shopping cart and left there in a box and no one told anyone and the poor thing was left there with no food or water until the next day because we had no idea he was there. Another time a woman brought a cat, handed it to us and literally booked it out of there
I was at a PetSmart several years ago and watched as an elderly woman, who had knowingly adopted a deaf cat from their cat adoption section, tried to return it because the poor animal couldn't HEAR HER WHEN SHE CALLED and wouldn't obey her! I wanted to kick that ladies' derriere though I know it's not nice to say.

Australia is kinder to its animals than we Americans are, it would seem. Many vets turn away wildlife animals, as only speciality wildlife vets can see them. And many many many vets will turn away sick animals, or injured animals or not even offer discounts to low income people. Its horrible. The pets often dies or remains injured or sick until its death.

'Merica at its best...
That's what makes Dr. Sakas so special for me - as well as Dr. Scott. Sakas does see wildlife (though he doesn't advertise it) and if he can't help he at least tries to find someone who can. Same with Dr. Scott. Sakas, I know, works with Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation and recently helped with a young fox found in a sack w/6 drowned siblings. :(

peppermint

Meeting neighbors
omg! @rocky'smom that is horrible!

how can people leave birds and cats unattended, in the same room? i'm a bit more careless than my partner when it comes to Ciel's safety [eeek, shame on me] - we have 2 cats as well, but NEVER EVER do we leave them in the same room with the bird, even when we're around. [the only times when i'm less careful is when i go out of the room for a few seconds and i don't close the door, just push it close to closed: i'm 95% sure the cats won't go in - and they know they're not allowed in. and i trust them a bit more after they're fed, lol]
cats have the hunting instinct no matter how uninterested they are in the birds they see...

i hope those macaws are better now, and that the 'owners' get punished

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
sorry I haven't been on today until now. my shoulder is killing me. I went to urgent care @Med Express which is right down block from me. WHAT WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'Clancey &Toby' are doing ok today and have been moved to cages but still in quarantine room until blood work comes back.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry your shoulder is giving you such problems. :( I hope it feels better soon!
:hug8:

peppermint

Meeting neighbors
There should be a law in place: everyone who has an exotic and big bird like a macaw, should have their bird registered, chipped and what not. Just like they do dogs here.
I used to have a dog [found on the street, but then rehomed because she wasnt fit in the apartment] and we had to spay, chip, and vaccine her. We were given a health booklet where info on vaccines, spaying, chip was written down, along with the owner's name and phone number, and the name of the vet that did the procedures.
Luckily, these procedures were done for free because we have a national program for stray or non=breed dogs, though it wouldnt have been THAT expensive [sadly the program is only for dogs: no cats, no other animals that could benefit from these procedures]

Responsible people would think about chipping or otherwise mark their birds, especially if they're big... i would think...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
'Clancy & Toby' are both doing good. both of the their blood works are back. both have some liver damage and are on milk thistle/dandelion. Dr. Tony will be doing wellness exams on both this week. 'Clancy' the rowdy one, lots of noise squawking, jibber jabber and eating up a storm. 'Toby' is a bit quieter eating well, asking 'what' about everything. he will play with toys but you start the fun first. there has been some word from the police, I have been asked to keep this to myself for the time being. they both are walking around on the floor when let out of their cage. stitches are itchy and they will be getting them out next week hopefully. the clinic and I are both still looking thru past CL listings trying to find these 2. so far nothing that looks like these two. Elaine's birds are still there too. her hubby sounds like is he going to keep the 2 tiels. but others will have to find a new homes. Harm and Nonny, the lovies, have attached themselves to Andrea and would love to be with her 24/7. Giget and Moondoggy are in love with 'G' but that will not happen as she has 6 birds already.
shoulder is still being a PITA but I'm trying to work thru it.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
'Clancy' had his wellness exam today. we now know why he walks around on the floor, his R wing has been broken and was not taken care of properly. if you look at him square on doesn't look like anything is wrong but look at him on the right side there is a lump were the break was. it's a bony callus and most likely is not fixable. he also has some talons that will need some serious trimming, until they are not so long. he clicks when he is on the floor. he had several of the stitches removed and Heal-X soother + applied to those healing spots. he is eating good and has put on a few grams already.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
'Toby' had his wellness exam today. we now know why he walks like he is drunk. some time in his life his L leg has been broken, it's healed crookedly. he also needs talons trimmed. he had most of the stitches removed from his wings. he will need some rehab because he has lost some muscle mass in healing. he will need some minor beak trimming too. it's a little crooked with a lot of flaking. they will both be getting RPO & ACV. their feathers are in tough shape, a lot of ,I think, bronzing and dull colors. Dr. Tony has not heard from AFA but he did here from a breeder in FL that is doing some more research on 'Clancy's' band. they are both sunflower seed junkies if they get them. first thing eaten and still looking for more. they like chop, 'G's' birdie muffins with walnuts and cranberries, Nutriberries, plain popcorn, salad, and some pellets (Zupreem fruity ones). they are in bird kitchen now and think they both need to be out of the cage all the time. neither of them stay on Java tree for more then few minutes and are down on the floor, getting into trouble. I have (10)rain sticks made for them. 'G' will pick them up in the Am. she is bringing me 20 gift wrap tubes for the macaws. I will not working this weekend becuz my shoulder is still being PITA.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm sorry your shoulder is still hurting. :sadhug2: Is it all from that night? Thank you for the update and all of the love you give these poor creatures.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
the shoulder pain is from whacking my crazy bone over 2 weeks ago on my wrought iron railing. I lost feeling in my fingers for about day and half. I must of did something to my shoulder too.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am going in tomorrow, but it's more to keep herd on all the birds, while cages are wheeled outside to be power washed. this happens about once every 3 months all the cages get major scrub from top to bottom. they are cleaned every week to remove poop and dust and seed/ pellet dust. but they all need power washing and drying out before the birds go back to them. Nick will pick me up about 9 am.
Dr. Tony talked to 'Clancy's' breeder this AM. 'Clancy' was hatched 1987, in FL. he was sold as weaned baby to man, who later was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. he was sold back to the breeder, a year and half later. he was there for a few years and resold to traveling circus. after that no one knows where he has been. 'Toby' is still a unknown.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
turn out that today was not work day for any of us. it was breakfast for all that came in in the middle of the night to help out 'Clancy & Toby'. that morning (7/25). Dr. Tony invited all of us out for breakfast, but we so tired we all thought we would fall asleep into our oatmeal, so we declined. We arrived to the lovely smell of waffles, sausage, fresh OJ, warm maple syrup. Dr. Tony and Dr. Jon were the cooks, the only person that was not there was Nick's sister, Christa. it was delish. and no dishes to wash, YAY!!!!
I meet 'Clancy & Toby' today. 'Clancy' is a love, wants to be held, enjoys his neck being rubbed. 'Toby' is more stand offish, if he wants to be held, he will come to you. if he doesn't, he gives a good pinch to fingers or arm or wrist. he does like fresh oranges, mangos and will take the pieces gently from your fingers. I had brought my camera with to try and get picture of his leg band, but he was NOT having it, and I don't want to force him. it's the weirdest band/s I have ever seen. Dr. Tony said he has never seen one like it either. 'Toby' really hates when you mess with his bracelet. he got a hard pinch (blood drawn) on Nick's arm today when I tried to get a picture of it. I posted the info on a list of breeders and band numbers.
A List of Breeders and Band Numbers | Page 4 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Fast Freddy was there and being pest about wanting every bodies waffles. he was given fruit and some oatmeal, nope that was not good enough. "I want Waffles!!!!" he threw a tantrum or three, finally, Nick gave him a small piece but that was all he got. he was doing his happy dance on his T stand. a lot of the people went to the Uptown Art Fair, but 'G' and I came home. she has had bad headaches for the past week. I had a lot of chores to do. next weekend will be cage cleaning day.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Well , Dr. Tony found 'Clancy's' owner, but 'Clancy' will not be going home anytime soon. his owner is doing 30 years to life in the penitentiary in GA. so I am allowed to talk about him now. 'Clancy' is a ruby macaw. he has been missing for 10+ years. know doubt that he has been passed from pillar to post, never getting proper care in all those years. he is getting the best care now, and is spoiled. which he deserves big time. he has been spoken for by Andrea one of the tech at the clinic. 'Clancy' and her are best buds, she has to get a cage for him, but he will become her bird in a couple of weeks. Andrea lives out in the boonies, in house, with her boyfriend. they will set up a bird room for 'Clancy'. so that is the good news.
we still have not found out anything about 'Toby'. he is very hands off bird, he will come to you if he wants some scritches and love. but that is not often. he is pretty quiet, but when he is loud, he is ear bleeding loud. he is not huge playing with toys bird either. I bought rain stick forging toys for all the birds, 'Clancy" had a ball with it. 'Toby's' is still sitting in his cage, untouched. Nick, is working with him as much as 'Toby' will allow. keeping fingers crossed, that we can find that crack in his armor and break thru to find his love spot.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Happy news for Clancy! :starshower:

And whether he warms up soon or not, I think Toby knows things are better and safer there. I almost wonder if he's afraid to get close to anyone if he's been passed around his whole life; waiting for the other shoe to drop, maybe? I'm not sure if birds think quite that way or not. Makes sense to me, though, as they certainly can understand patterns.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I believe they feel exactly way. having Bebe for over a year, before he will finally allows few little scritches to his head. I thinks he finally feels safe and loved. I wish it would go faster, but I also know it's in his own time & I will not rush it. he is a lot Tuffy was and that took years before she finally trusted me. Tuffy was never the biter that Bebe is. but she learned slowly that she was safe & loved. if I go in this weekend I am bring in birdie popcorn for those two. I have never see a bird refuse popcorn. I will try to initiation some play time with 'Toby' and 'Clancy' . I am hoping that special treats will work.

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
That is truly disgusting. There should be harder punishments about animal cruelty. What the owner of those birds did is clearly abuse. I knew someone who shoved their cat in a dishwasher. Guess what. She didn't get punished.
And, if your going to own a macaw, or any animal, you need to know how to take care of it! The owners are clearly idiots, and don't deserve a parrot. I hope the vet keeps the owner from getting the bird back.

I'm sorry, I just need to rant about this.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I know that Dr. Tony doesn't plan to write to the owner of 'Clancy'. 'Clancy' will be micro chipped b/4 he goes to Andrea's house. I am hoping that we can draw 'Toby' out of his shell b/4 that because Andrea would like to take them both. her BF is coming in this weekend to meet them both. he and Dr. Tony will have long talk about what is to own macaws. Andrea has ordered a double macaw cage but it will take 3 weeks b/4 it's at her house. I am hoping that we can get little 'Toby' to come out and play by the time the cage gets here. the cr@ppy thing is we don't know enough about 'Toby' other then he is hybrid macaw and very frightened of us humans. if there was tiny crack in that armor we might have a chance. I know that Andrea bought some wiffle balls, like they have for Fast Freddy. she will give them to 'G' so I can make some toys out of them. Freddy loves to play toss and catch and will chase a rolling wiffle ball down. he does not retrieve but loves the chase always. I will be riding herd of the birds while they power wash cages. my shoulder is still cr@ppy with too much movement.

peppermint

Meeting neighbors
@rocky'smom
i read your posts in this thread and i have a hard time understanding if 'G' is a person or not, ooops.

i'm happy that 'Clancy' will be adopted out and it could possibly be with 'toby' - might be better for them to go together to the same family if they're used to staying together.

as for the tags, you didn't find anything on Google? or a reversed image search, with whatever image you manage to snap of those cuffs/ rings? could it be from another country? since sometimes people travel with birds.. just throwing out ideas since i dont know if they got considered or not.