• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new aviary. My neighbors. SO STRESSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am so sorry that you have to go through this with your neighbor. She needs to get some help for her condition if it's that out of control other people shouldn't have to suffer because she refuses to seek treatment for her condition. and it's pretty blindsided if she's banding with other people in the area because the suppose it'd noise of your birds. at least you were able to find someone of a compromise and she is finally aware of the noise and racquet her dogs are creating. like I said if you need someone to be a fake bird person holder thing just let me know.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
True, her malady is out of my control. However, she has already banned together with another neighbor behind us to express her complaints about our 'noise'. If more than one neighbor submits a formal complaint, then I can either be fined or eventually be asked to remove the macaw from our home.
Also tape your own birds when you put them outside in the aviary, that way IF a noise complaint is made you can play back the "noise". And if she's claimed that the noise has been ongoing, non-stop, for x amount of time you have something concrete versus the verbal accusation. Is this woman even in her back yard when she's complained or is she inside? Possibly also talk to the neighbour on your other side who likes your aviary and is interested. Having a neighbour on your side couldn't hurt.

Consider a security camera on the complainer's side of your house as well, if nothing else just to keep track of what goes on when you're not outside or watching.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most people won't consider conures as parrots. Just the big birds. And their classification is actually parakeets not parrots. Look it up. ;) So you have a lot less "parrots" than you realize if you go off of Wikipedia =D

I know I am being a turd here but that is how local law enforcement will see it.

Check to see if it states how many parakeets you're allowed to have. I bet it doesnt.

(YES I know parakeets and conures are parrots but most people are not bird savvy).
I think this is genius! Law loopholes are used all the time! If it'll help you @Nikomania DO IT!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would print that sheet off of wikipedia...... if it has today's date on the bottom of page, all the better.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
One neighbor complaining isn't a problem. Two or more and it becomes an issue. The neighbors on the side closest to where our aviary is built absolutely loves it.
:swoon: So glad to hear that the neighbor closest to the aviary loves it :smilesign: I would, too, if I lived next door -- I would want to be invited over to hang out with your birdos :loveshower:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think they would still have to investigate the noise and decide that it was unreasonable before giving you a fine.

The woman has a problem. She should find solutions for her problem instead of expecting the world to revolve around her issue. Drop over a pair of earplugs in her mailbox.

If the city comes to investigate you have that information about her condition and that she has unreasonable expectations about noise or the lack of it.
My husband and I were both teasing each other that we were going to give her a plate of ear plugs next Christmas instead of the usual plate of cookies!

The only concern that I have is if the other neighbor decides to join forces with her. I recently had a separate issue with these neighbors, who build a huge playground, complete with telescope, along our fence line so that now they can peer into our back yard. This drives our German Shepherds nuts seeing little faces hanging over our fence. I sent them a really nice note, asking them if they'd be amenable to put up some sort of screen in order to keep the kiddos from looking into our yard all the time. Never heard back from them. Please note that their yard is an acre, and they could have selected any other region within their property to build this enormous play gym. We weren't consulted if we were okay with having our privacy invaded. My noise sensitive neighbor told me they were upset that their kids couldn't use their play gym, which hasn't been the case. Their kids play on it all the time!

So...you can see that there's a lot of negative conversations going on regarding us, leading me to believe they could easily join forces on the noise issue.

We really are very nice and considerate people!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:lol: I always say that people like this need to volunteer someplace.. sometimes I say it to their face! Oops!

Yes, or maybe give the city a heads up. BUT I think she’s probably said her piece now, and things won’t be a problem.
You could suggest a small water fountain at her place, it helps quiet the noise from outside.
I did give the city a heads up. I called and gave them our address and told them my story before I even knew about her misophonia. Felt better about things until I heard that the other neighbor could join in.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Also tape your own birds when you put them outside in the aviary, that way IF a noise complaint is made you can play back the "noise". And if she's claimed that the noise has been ongoing, non-stop, for x amount of time you have something concrete versus the verbal accusation. Is this woman even in her back yard when she's complained or is she inside? Possibly also talk to the neighbour on your other side who likes your aviary and is interested. Having a neighbour on your side couldn't hurt.

Consider a security camera on the complainer's side of your house as well, if nothing else just to keep track of what goes on when you're not outside or watching.
I'm now outside whenever the macaws are there, just so I can sweep them into the house should they call out. I thought about taping everything, but who has tape recorders anymore! Security cameras is on my 'to buy' list!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:eek: What the... these people all sound bonkers. Can you put up something along your fence line for your own privacy? That's so rude!
I'm going to be planting quick growing shrubs as soon as it gets warmer.

You should see this play gym. It stands 6 feet above our fence line, and 2 feet away from it. The telescope drives me crazy, as our bedroom window is in close proximity. Whenever the birds are out, they love to use the telescope.

We NEVER had so many problems before this. We've lived here 28 years, and our noise sensitive neighbors around 20 years. The playground neighbors have only been there around 4 years.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

You should see this play gym. It stands 6 feet above our fence line, and 2 feet away from it. The telescope drives me crazy, as our bedroom window is in close proximity. Whenever the birds are out, they love to use the telescope.

We NEVER had so many problems before this. We've lived here 28 years, and our noise sensitive neighbors around 20 years. The playground neighbors have only been there around 4 years.

My worst version of myself says you should put up something in your bedroom window that makes it look like adult things are going on in there. Once their parents see that, I'm sure they'll be limiting telescope time ;) Or, you know, you could let the parents know that you are also aware of the laws. California makes invasion of privacy with an object like a telescope a crime under the Penal Code. California Penal Code Section 647(j) PC: Invasion Of Privacy You don't want to report their children, but if you happen to be talking to the police about any hypothetical complaints filed (which are only zoning ordinances by the way, whereas invasion of privacy is a criminal act), you might just bring it up.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
My husband and I were both teasing each other that we were going to give her a plate of ear plugs next Christmas instead of the usual plate of cookies!

The only concern that I have is if the other neighbor decides to join forces with her. I recently had a separate issue with these neighbors, who build a huge playground, complete with telescope, along our fence line so that now they can peer into our back yard. This drives our German Shepherds nuts seeing little faces hanging over our fence. I sent them a really nice note, asking them if they'd be amenable to put up some sort of screen in order to keep the kiddos from looking into our yard all the time. Never heard back from them. Please note that their yard is an acre, and they could have selected any other region within their property to build this enormous play gym. We weren't consulted if we were okay with having our privacy invaded. My noise sensitive neighbor told me they were upset that their kids couldn't use their play gym, which hasn't been the case. Their kids play on it all the time!

So...you can see that there's a lot of negative conversations going on regarding us, leading me to believe they could easily join forces on the noise issue.

We really are very nice and considerate people!
Check with your village/town's building codes. Sounds weird but I know (from experience) that some require a permit to install a garden shed and there may be requirements as to how close a jungle gym (or any construction) can be installed next to a fence or wall. There are requirements pertaining to property lines.

That, or I hate to say it, sunbathe topless in your back yard while the kids are out (obviously not face up) and see what happens. Or call the village and ask about privacy issues and take photos of the kids looking over the fence and upsetting your GS. That should also protect you IF the neighbour behind you complains about the dogs barking.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

MOON them! (Is what my bad girl side says). First complaint you can ask how they can see into your house?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I'm now outside whenever the macaws are there, just so I can sweep them into the house should they call out. I thought about taping everything, but who has tape recorders anymore! Security cameras is on my 'to buy' list!
A security camera may also record sound so you'd be covered.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh I would take my hubby outdoors and start making out — often.

Gossip is always divisive, and these people have been talking, and probably lying, behind your back. Be very careful what you say to anyone. And arm yourself: record the dogs, write everything on your calendar, get familiar with laws and codes, and if you have any cop friends invite them over for dinner.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My worst version of myself says you should put up something in your bedroom window that makes it look like adult things are going on in there. Once their parents see that, I'm sure they'll be limiting telescope time ;) Or, you know, you could let the parents know that you are also aware of the laws. California makes invasion of privacy with an object like a telescope a crime under the Penal Code. California Penal Code Section 647(j) PC: Invasion Of Privacy You don't want to report their children, but if you happen to be talking to the police about any hypothetical complaints filed (which are only zoning ordinances by the way, whereas invasion of privacy is a criminal act), you might just bring it up.
Making huge mental note to self. Thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.