• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new aviary. My neighbors. SO STRESSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Check with your village/town's building codes. Sounds weird but I know (from experience) that some require a permit to install a garden shed and there may be requirements as to how close a jungle gym (or any construction) can be installed next to a fence or wall. There are requirements pertaining to property lines.

That, or I hate to say it, sunbathe topless in your back yard while the kids are out (obviously not face up) and see what happens. Or call the village and ask about privacy issues and take photos of the kids looking over the fence and upsetting your GS. That should also protect you IF the neighbour behind you complains about the dogs barking.
I never knew that unpermitted items could require to be a certain distance from property lines.

I actually mentioned in my very nice note to the play gym parents that we'd intended to install a hot top in our back yard, and that we aren't necessarily a swim suit requiring family. (Little fib!) But I thought they might reconsider things and install a privacy screen between us. That's all I'd asked of them. I never asked them to move their new play gym; only to help protect our privacy.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They're lying about what you said to gain sympathy. BE CAREFUL.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Holy cow that's not a play gym that is a house with swings!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best

Be careful. In a full blown war, you'll loose the most.

The playhouse is a thing. Your birds are family.

Why not host a neighborhood barbecue. Get to know your neighbors better.

Get the playhouse lady on board with a get-together, ask her help, win her over.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Can the kids see your aviary from the play gym? If so, they can be your allies.

I worry if my birds are too loud when I take them to my screened-in porch. If kids next door are playing outside and realize we are in the porch, they come closer and want to see and talk to my birds. They say "Hi, Parrots!" I take them closer and show my birds and talk with them. Kids are so thrilled to see my birds!

I would put something (curtain) on the window and befriend with kids, if they are curious about birds.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
View attachment 270453
This will give you a visual for the play gym. I'm standing next to our aviary door. :-(
Of course, you could always set up a sprinkler along that fence which sprays the jungle gym. Oops! You didn't know the gym was THAT CLOSE to your fence!

On the diplomatic front, you could always call the village and express your privacy issue and ask for someone from the village to come over and give you feasible suggestions as to what could be done to ensure your privacy (and mention the telescope).

Last edited:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Be careful. In a full blown war, you'll loose the most.

The playhouse is a thing. Your birds are family.

Why not host a neighborhood barbecue. Get to know your neighbors better.

Get the playhouse lady on board with a get-together, ask her help, win her over.
Oh, I'm not planning on going after her; just get information in case it's needed down the line. There's power in knowledge! I'm planning on planting tall, quick growing shrubs this spring for our privacy.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I never knew that unpermitted items could require to be a certain distance from property lines.

I actually mentioned in my very nice note to the play gym parents that we'd intended to install a hot top in our back yard, and that we aren't necessarily a swim suit requiring family. (Little fib!) But I thought they might reconsider things and install a privacy screen between us. That's all I'd asked of them. I never asked them to move their new play gym; only to help protect our privacy.
You'd be surprised at the weird laws and bylaws that villages have. For example, I can have a spinning solar clothing dryer (aka aluminium spinner clothesline) but can't have a clothes line in my back garden. Why? Because the aluminium spinner can be folded up and taken down while the line would be "permanent". Makes sense, right? :bash::bash:

But you might find that there are height restrictions for that hideous jungle gym you can see.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
View attachment 270453
This will give you a visual for the play gym. I'm standing next to our aviary door. :-(
I would plant some fast growing thorny thing, but that's me. In our area, any structure needs to be no less than 3 feet from the property line..

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Plant bamboo..... grows quick and thick. It is invasive so will have to be managed carefully.

Good for chewing, too. I think?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I would plant some fast growing thorny thing, but that's me. In our area, any structure needs to be no less than 3 feet from the property line..
There are two plants used in Brazil - acacia is one and the other is Euphorbia milii - Wikipedia Both are thorny and the second, coroa de Cristo (crown of thorns) is a popular hedge plant which deters anybody and is a great yard protector.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Lmao @SandraK you are so on top of this. @Nikomania You should have Sandra come out and help you :wacky:
We had problems with some of our neighbours in the previous house we lived in. And no, one doesn't want to antagonize people but when they do things and are totally oblivious of the fact that there are other people living around them it gets a little difficult to put up with.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Do you have macaws or other large noisy parrots? If not, you should be fine!
Just two sun conure voices. My mother in law came to visit at the new house and said she didn't have the house address so she listened for the birds. Who at the time were in the house. :wideyed: Hubby and I walked to the store yesterday and Mocha was out barking so we shall have to address the little yippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.