• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My hydroponic kit arrived!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
This is so exciting!!! :cheer: Been watching @saroj12 harvesting her hydroponic veggies for ages. And the enthusiasm from @MommyBird tipped me over into wanting to try it too!

I got the Click And Grow one as it has a large variety of things to grow including edible flowers!

The kit came with basil, mini tomato and lettuce:

I bought some extra plants including dwarf pea (which makes Saroj very jealous! :D):

And here it is plugged in and switched on. We have wild strawberries, tomatoes, lettuce, basil, chillies, and of course the dwarf peas. Some pods are empty as I ordered some more different plants.... Bok Choy, beet leaves and comfrey, I think.

:bounce6:

Plus I found some peas and adzuki beans to sprout which are working so well! Haven't had much luck with sprouting adzuki beans for some years now. I am so happy to have AT LAST found a brand where almost 100% sprouts!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
That looks wonderful!!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks, Saroj! Thank you for getting me enthusiatic about this too! :starshower:
anytime! You are growing all the plants in your list above at the same time? strawberries will be awesome!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
and omg your sprouts are divine!!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That looks awesome!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks Martine, Saroj and Tricia! Yep growing all the above at the same time.... hopefully! In the pea one, I see a hole, but I don't see a pea in there. I looked at the next pea "pod" (they come in set of three) and ditto - no visible pea. Hope they will grow!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks Martine, Saroj and Tricia! Yep growing all the above at the same time.... hopefully! In the pea one, I see a hole, but I don't see a pea in there. I looked at the next pea "pod" (they come in set of three) and ditto - no visible pea. Hope they will grow!
I read that peas are planted deep so maybe that’s why you aren’t seeing them.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Nice ! Happy gardening. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

:fairy2:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oooh I can't wait to see all the fantastic yummy edibles! Congrats Farmer!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
How exciting and sounds just yummy.:dance4:
Just be aware that you might have set yourself up for some craziness by planting such an assortment.
There's a reason Saroj and I have succumbed to buying multiple units. If you plant a mix, things have different rates of growth and maturity and sizes. So some things get over-shadowed. I have also taken to not planting in all the spaces so plants have a bit more room to grow. Anyway, I am saying all that so you enjoy the garden and enjoy what happens and don't get discouraged if things go by the "Law of the Jungle" there. :backout:
You are going to learn a lot and get some yummy food also. I'll be watching to see how it all plays out!
:sunflower:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I found in the Aerogarden the lettuce and basil grow well and last a good while before bolting. Good luck with growing.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
yes my schedule is to rotate two units for lettuce, starting new every three months. I can start picking a few small leaves in 3 weeks which is about the time the first unit is definitely bolting and bitter and I throw them out.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
This is so exciting!!! :cheer: Been watching @saroj12 harvesting her hydroponic veggies for ages. And the enthusiasm from @MommyBird tipped me over into wanting to try it too!

I got the Click And Grow one as it has a large variety of things to grow including edible flowers!

The kit came with basil, mini tomato and lettuce:

I bought some extra plants including dwarf pea (which makes Saroj very jealous! :D):

And here it is plugged in and switched on. We have wild strawberries, tomatoes, lettuce, basil, chillies, and of course the dwarf peas. Some pods are empty as I ordered some more different plants.... Bok Choy, beet leaves and comfrey, I think.

:bounce6:

Plus I found some peas and adzuki beans to sprout which are working so well! Haven't had much luck with sprouting adzuki beans for some years now. I am so happy to have AT LAST found a brand where almost 100% sprouts!

What’s in the second tier of the sprouter? I keep coming back to look at your beautiful sprouts. So inspiring!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
**wishes she could join in the fun**

I only grow on the lanai, which is quite hot. Too hot for lettuce. Anywhere else outdoors - the bunnies eat it. They're apparently starving, they'Re eating everything. And no place to do hydroponics indoors.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Very interesting. I will keep an eye out for updates of how you are getting on! :D
The climate is good where I live but my strawberry plants always die... Maybe I should also hop on the hydroponics train.....

Anywhere else outdoors - the bunnies eat it. They're apparently starving,
Poor bunnies :(

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I was a bit worried planting so much, but wasn't sure if it was a good or bad thing to leave some empty holes. Each hole has a wick - I suppose it is ok to leave them empty. I have 3 empty ones. I read to nip out the growing shoots of things like tomato and pepper so it becomes more bushy and keeps small. OMG.... perhaps I'm going to have to buy another kit to give the plants room!! :laugh: Currently I am waiting for a wheatgrass sprouter to grow some microgreens. I'm going to have no surfaces left in the kitchen!