• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My hydroponic kit arrived!

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
I don't like those stones so I'm going to do something else. I'm going to make some, Grow Grips.
Amazon.com: grow grips
Walmart sells some really super cheap sponges that don't really soak up any water cuz they're so cheap and made of some kind of plastic. I'm going to make a couple from that. Dollar General Store sells them too.

Here's a video on them. Just watch the first few minutes to see what I mean.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I don't like those stones so I'm going to do something else. I'm going to make some, Grow Grips.
Amazon.com: grow grips
Walmart sells some really super cheap sponges that don't really soak up any water cuz they're so cheap and made of some kind of plastic. I'm going to make a couple from that. Dollar General Store sells them too.

Here's a video on them. Just watch the first few minutes to see what I mean.
yes, I think that is a good video to explain it and it looks very good. The aerogro holes are smaller than what he's got there, but hopefully it can still be figured out.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Gosh that's a lot of work for him each year! The grow grips look good. As Debbie said, the holes in the Aerogarden are much smaller. But good to know that he is able to store his strawberry roots all winter in a bag. You can do the same with yours until your Aerogarden arrives. :)

Been researching strawberry seeds. Apparently they are difficult to grow which is probably why they aren't included in any hydroponic kits. Wild/Alpine strawberries are easier... by the way they spread about in my garden, that doesn't surprise me. Apparently with normal strawberry seeds you have to put them in the fridge for 2 - 4 days before planting to emulate winter. I have bought some seeds as I want to try them at least later in the year. For now my mini plug plants are winging their way here. I want to watch your original video again, Rick.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
OK, guys. DON'T plant a plant with roots on it in those sponge thingys. Those are for seed plantings.
Watch this video;

And this one:

Strawberries are planted in the bare cups kept high with those stones. :geek:
That was really useful!!! I see - so seeds take 3+ years to start producing fruit. Therefore you need to use the biggest root crowns (oldest) to get fruit faster. Looks like I am going to have to fish my root crowns out of my hanging basket and swap them with the mini plugs. I am making such a mess of this!! :laugh: But learning lots! :geek:

He says that fungus is a killer. I am going to wash the crowns, then spray with F10 (safe for parrots) solution. Leave them for 30 mins and then rinse and plant. I quite like his use of decorative stone, and since I just bought a bag for my air plants, I may as well use them for the strawberries too.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Gosh that's a lot of work for him each year! The grow grips look good. As Debbie said, the holes in the Aerogarden are much smaller. But good to know that he is able to store his strawberry roots all winter in a bag. You can do the same with yours until your Aerogarden arrives. :)

Been researching strawberry seeds. Apparently they are difficult to grow which is probably why they aren't included in any hydroponic kits. Wild/Alpine strawberries are easier... by the way they spread about in my garden, that doesn't surprise me. Apparently with normal strawberry seeds you have to put them in the fridge for 2 - 4 days before planting to emulate winter. I have bought some seeds as I want to try them at least later in the year. For now my mini plug plants are winging their way here. I want to watch your original video again, Rick.
That was really useful!!! I see - so seeds take 3+ years to start producing fruit. Therefore you need to use the biggest root crowns (oldest) to get fruit faster. Looks like I am going to have to fish my root crowns out of my hanging basket and swap them with the mini plugs. I am making such a mess of this!! :laugh: But learning lots! :geek:

He says that fungus is a killer. I am going to wash the crowns, then spray with F10 (safe for parrots) solution. Leave them for 30 mins and then rinse and plant. I quite like his use of decorative stone, and since I just bought a bag for my air plants, I may as well use them for the strawberries too.
:ygg: Isn't learning fun? :loveit:
I think I'll use Dawn but not let it soak in.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
you guys are having so much fun!! :D

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So here are my Click and Grow plants now. Been harvesting and pruning:

My pea flowers suddenly turned into young peas!!! Almost overnight I have 4 peas. Certainly took me by surprise:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Ha - thanks, Rick! I guess I just wait until the peas get fat! Not sure if I am meant to pollinate the tomatoes...