• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My hydroponic kit arrived!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I was a bit worried planting so much, but wasn't sure if it was a good or bad thing to leave some empty holes. Each hole has a wick - I suppose it is ok to leave them empty. I have 3 empty ones. I read to nip out the growing shoots of things like tomato and pepper so it becomes more bushy and keeps small. OMG.... perhaps I'm going to have to buy another kit to give the plants room!! :laugh: Currently I am waiting for a wheatgrass sprouter to grow some microgreens. I'm going to have no surfaces left in the kitchen!
please post the link to the sprouter pretty please :)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I found in the Aerogarden the lettuce and basil grow well and last a good while before bolting. Good luck with growing.
yes my schedule is to rotate two units for lettuce, starting new every three months. I can start picking a few small leaves in 3 weeks which is about the time the first unit is definitely bolting and bitter and I throw them out.
Learning so much already - didn't really occur to me that lettuce can bolt. Will be sure to harvest them regularly!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Learning so much already - didn't really occur to me that lettuce can bolt. Will be sure to harvest them regularly!
there's nothing like learning by doing.
you will learn a lot this first planting! Just ask questions if you need to!
The aerogro units don't have a wick, the growing media sits down inside the water. When I leave a space I put a cover over the hole (they sell them or you can just put a pillbottle cap over if of the right size.) If I don't cover it the pump that is inside for water circulation/aeration splashes water out thru the top and makes a mess.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
What’s in the second tier of the sprouter? I keep coming back to look at your beautiful sprouts. So inspiring!
In the second tier is 4 parts mung beans, 2 parts green and brown lentils, 4 parts grains - kamut (a favourite of the parrots), wheat, spelt, buckwheat. Then I throw in sprinkling of sesame seed and quinoa and add a scoop of safflower seed. I mix it together in an airfree container and sprout it daily. Kobe has been eating sprouts all his life, since he was a few months old. He'll be 12 at the end of May.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
In the second tier is 4 parts mung beans, 2 parts green and brown lentils, 4 parts grains - kamut (a favourite of the parrots), wheat, spelt, buckwheat. Then I throw in sprinkling of sesame seed and quinoa and add a scoop of safflower seed. I mix it together in an airfree container and sprout it daily. Kobe has been eating sprouts all his life, since he was a few months old. He'll be 12 at the end of May.
thank you so much!! Your crop looks wonderful! Good for Kobe! no one liked my mung beans and lentils sprouts too much today :huh:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
there's nothing like learning by doing.
you will learn a lot this first planting! Just ask questions if you need to!
The aerogro units don't have a wick, the growing media sits down inside the water. When I leave a space I put a cover over the hole (they sell them or you can just put a pillbottle cap over if of the right size.) If I don't cover it the pump that is inside for water circulation/aeration splashes water out thru the top and makes a mess.
What a clever idea. I have the little plastic domes which I could cover the holes with and take out the wick containers. I didn't want to leave a hole so that insects could fall in. In the click and grow, you slot in the wick containers and then slot in the growing medium with seed into that. There is no pump in the water. I guess the growing medium doesn't come into contact with the main tank of water. How often should you clean out the tank of old water? Maybe after one growing season? With mine I have to top it up with fresh water when the water float reaches the bottom. Maybe next time I will try a different brand.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
thank you so much!! Your crop looks wonderful! Good for Kobe! no one liked my mung beans and lentils sprouts too much today :huh:
:( Maybe they were leaving room for their mini veggies! :D I added the safflower to get the other birds interested in trying the sprouts. It has worked! They now all eat some sprouts. I also put sprouted sunflowers on top to pique their interest... and a few soaked hemp seeds (they don't sprout unsurprisingly! :fly2:)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

this is so funny! i got linked to your wheatgrass sprouter half hour ago when i was getting sprouting buckwheat from amazon! I'm glad you are getting it so I van get reviews!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
this is so funny! i got linked to your wheatgrass sprouter half hour ago when i was getting sprouting buckwheat from amazon! I'm glad you are getting it so I van get reviews!
This is turning out to be so much fun!!! Yep I will tell you how it goes.... with pics! :D

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
What a clever idea. I have the little plastic domes which I could cover the holes with and take out the wick containers. I didn't want to leave a hole so that insects could fall in. In the click and grow, you slot in the wick containers and then slot in the growing medium with seed into that. There is no pump in the water. I guess the growing medium doesn't come into contact with the main tank of water. How often should you clean out the tank of old water? Maybe after one growing season? With mine I have to top it up with fresh water when the water float reaches the bottom. Maybe next time I will try a different brand.
yes I have to top up the water daily when things are growing. If I let it go for 3 days it starts flashing lights at me.
I also have to add liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks. It looks like your growing media contains all the fertilizer you need from what I read about it.
you don't have a pump because it is not sitting in the water and has abundant air around it.
I clean out my tank when the plants are done and I'm ready to start a whole new cycle in it, so about every 4 months.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I learned by joining an Aerogarden forum. If one let's light in the holes a fungus may grow. I am careful to make sure the hole covers are covering as a routine now.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
yes I have to top up the water daily when things are growing. If I let it go for 3 days it starts flashing lights at me.
I also have to add liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks. It looks like your growing media contains all the fertilizer you need from what I read about it.
you don't have a pump because it is not sitting in the water and has abundant air around it.
I clean out my tank when the plants are done and I'm ready to start a whole new cycle in it, so about every 4 months.
Sorry - lost internet connection earlier! Yep, my growing media does indeed contain the fertilizer. Makes sense about cleaning. Thank you. Will have to see if this one can come apart for proper cleaning.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I learned by joining an Aerogarden forum. If one let's light in the holes a fungus may grow. I am careful to make sure the hole covers are covering as a routine now.
Ahhh that's interesting, Dianne. I have to cover my water filter jug with a towel or that quickly grows green fungus too.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Today I planted the seeds i did not grow last year so they may be too old. Not sure. Dill, thyme and 2 lettuces.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Found some lids to put over the holes for now...

The plants are growing!!!! :bliss: No sign of the pea yet, or strawberry or chillies, but the others are sprouting!! The lettuce was the first to show...

Followed by basil and tomato (still very small).

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Link please!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

The plants are growing!!!! :bliss: No sign of the pea yet, or strawberry or chillies, but the others are sprouting!! The lettuce was the first to show...

Followed by basil and tomato (still very small).

That was quick! So exciting!!!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Before the roots get too long and tangled....I'd suggest moving the plants and using those end holes and leaving the spaces between plants in the middle.
That will make for less crowding.