• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for SS cage...need asap. St Paul

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just bought an aluminum playtop cage from kings, will do a post on it tomorrow with photos. I love everything about it except one thing... and it is bothering me immensely!! I did not notice that is was going to be so short!! I guess they did it so the parront can clean the top of the cage easier but I hate having to bend down to just look at my Tequila straight in the face :( it is bothering me sooo much how short it is.
Did you get the dome top or the flat top? The dome top is quite a bit taller than the flat top.

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Did you get the dome top or the flat top? The dome top is quite a bit taller than the flat top.
i got the flat top, I like the look of those better in general but now uuuuugh!! I wish there was a place we could go and see these cages in person ya know? So much grief would be resolved by this. all that the cage I go needs is a taller stand, taller legs.. the solution is so simple!! :(

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
i got the flat top, I like the look of those better in general but now uuuuugh!! I wish there was a place we could go and see these cages in person ya know? So much grief would be resolved by this. all that the cage I go needs is a taller stand, taller legs.. the solution is so simple!! :(

Did the site list the wrong dimensions?

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Did the site list the wrong dimensions?
Well what I did is I got the information for the old cage, all of my babies have a&e flight cages.

Dimensions

31W x 22D x 35H inches (59H overall)

then I went and looked at the information on the aluminum cage

33 1/4" Width
24 7/8" Deep
32" Inside Height from Grill to Inside Top of Cage
59 1/2" Height to top of perch
75" to Top of Toy Hook (highest point on cage)

what I failed to read was this little nugget that I now caught. I saw the 59 1/2 to the top perch and thought perfect! :(

52 1/2" High to top of frame, which is the base of the playpen that
sits atop the cage. Without this frame, the height of the actual cage
is 50 3/4".

oh well.. I just have to get used to it, and so does Tequila. other than that, i love the cage. I looked to see if by the off chance they sold extra bases for these cages and maybe get a taller base but I haven't found anything yet. maybe I can email them....

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Play top cages tend to be lower due to that perch height of the top. And if one of mine is sitting up on top of that toy hook, that bird is nearly to the ceiling. I think in time you will get used it. It is not just the aluminum cage; it is pretty much all play tops.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I just bought an aluminum playtop cage from kings, will do a post on it tomorrow with photos. I love everything about it except one thing... and it is bothering me immensely!! I did not notice that is was going to be so short!! I guess they did it so the parront can clean the top of the cage easier but I hate having to bend down to just look at my Tequila straight in the face :( it is bothering me sooo much how short it is.
I was also wondering about that.
Don't panic! There are ways to extend legs! I wonder if any Ikea legs with castors would fit (somehow) to raise it up. OR, have a friend build a platform just for the cage, ? Buy an old table at goodwill, and cut the legs off to make an easy platform?

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I was also wondering about that.
Don't panic! There are ways to extend legs! I wonder if any Ikea legs with castors would fit (somehow) to raise it up. OR, have a friend build a platform just for the cage, ? Buy an old table at goodwill, and cut the legs off to make an easy platform?
I am going to try to come up with a solution. I dont even know what ikea legs with castors are but i will look it up! :lol: :highfive:

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I am going to try to come up with a solution. I dont even know what ikea legs with castors are but i will look it up! :lol: :highfive:
Oh...Ikea is a Swedish furniture and home decor store...they sell inexpensive but stylish home decor, like table tops that you can purchase separately from several different styles of table legs. The legs either bolt or screw on but I'm sure you could get creative. Or, if you just place the whole shebang on another table, esp. one that had drawers in it, you'd have storage for birdy toys & treats.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Did you decide on the kings aluminum?

I saw new A&E stainless steel on ebay through Petco. If I remember correctly the 32 x 23 playtop was $1150 and the dome top was $1250.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Oh...Ikea is a Swedish furniture and home decor store...they sell inexpensive but stylish home decor, like table tops that you can purchase separately from several different styles of table legs. The legs either bolt or screw on but I'm sure you could get creative. Or, if you just place the whole shebang on another table, esp. one that had drawers in it, you'd have storage for birdy toys & treats.
I would take the wheels off (of course) and then place the cage on a coffee table (cage and their stand) included right? I think I would need something on the edge of the table so I feel safer of not having it fall off one side. :highfive:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I would take the wheels off (of course) and then place the cage on a coffee table (cage and their stand) included right? I think I would need something on the edge of the table so I feel safer of not having it fall off one side. :highfive:

Yes, build a lip around the table edge. My neighbor and I built tall legs for one of my cages so Rowdy's bowls lined up with Pete's so they could eat together. This is a wrought iron cage though. We had to cut off the old legs, weld plates on the bottom to attach the new ones and build the new ones. We modeled them after another cage I found. PC doesn't totally match but its pretty good. I first thought of building a cupboard to put it on, but iron cages are pretty heavy to lift on and off. Aluminum is lighter.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
DSC09690_fs.jpg
Yes, build a lip around the table edge. My neighbor and I built tall legs for one of my cages so Rowdy's bowls lined up with Pete's so they could eat together. This is a wrought iron cage though. We had to cut off the old legs, weld plates on the bottom to attach the new ones and build the new ones. We modeled them after another cage I found. PC doesn't totally match but its pretty good. I first thought of building a cupboard to put it on, but iron cages are pretty heavy to lift on and off. Aluminum is lighter.
oh wow!! can you post a photo? :) I would love to see! I am much more a visual person. :D

here is a photo I took of my cage this morning so pardon all that mess! :shy: :shy: I took it at my eye level to show just how shorter this thing is.

but i love the silver and so far I haven't found any sharp edges at all! Tequila is having a bit of trouble getting in and out of the cage though since the door opening edges are so thick, but i am adjusting perches and the like as I go along to help her. So far I would say she doesnt hate it but she doesn't love it. I am planning on putting a mini crawler I got from Oliver's Garden up there as well as some more toys.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Sure. I will get some here shortly. My camera is old and it is overcast but I will try. He made the legs so they bolt onto the plates. I think this is automotive PC so not safe for birds to chew, but they weren't going to be under the cage chewing those plates, and figured they wouldn't be chewing the legs either. None of them have shown any interest in doing that.

Aluminum though is very tricky to weld and I think you would have trouble finding annodized aluminum to use.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Update: After talking with Don, owner at Love on the Wing, (quite gregarious and chatty, very knowledgeable, but a non-stop talker) I understand a bit more about the industry, and about Kings cage owner, who is...lol...a hard-nosed NEW YORKER... :rofl: He also confirmed that the Featherland cages will indeed have some sharp edges, because its unpainted steel...you have to go over it first and check, and smooth out any sharp corners, but they are machine made, if they did each one by hand, it would cost thousands more for each cage. They should warn people, but they are trying to sell cages. ugh.

Anyway, the big news is, I have ordered the Kings Aluminum 33x25!!!

Of course, I feel uncomfortable regarding Kings customer service, when & if I'll even need it. I will report back when it arrives, and let you know my own opinion of it.

Does anyone know about switching out the plastic cups for stainless? I have two sets of stainless already, how easy would it be to remove the plastic ones and put mine in? I waited to buy from them, to see if I can use the ones I have. I wish they had a good pic of it but they don't.

Thank you for everyones help....I think I was exhausted and just needed to make a decision. I hope I made the right one. I feel that maybe its not my personal favorite style, but will be really safe for Ki, and that's most important.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Yay!!!! :dance4: :dance4: Here's the most important question: what color?! :p

As for the stainless cups... the cups go into a special bracket that requires their specific metal rings to be put into the bracket. That is, unless you find a way to rig it yourself (I'm sure craftier members could), or if you don't plan on using the feeder doors. Here's what I mean:

So the bracket comes with the cage, but the ring holders you buy from King's are meant to slide right into them. And just FYI the ring holders they sell are for SS cups, but the rings themselves are chrome-plated, not SS.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Yay!!!! :dance4: :dance4: Here's the most important question: what color?! :p

As for the stainless cups... the cups go into a special bracket that requires their specific metal rings to be put into the bracket. That is, unless you find a way to rig it yourself (I'm sure craftier members could), or if you don't plan on using the feeder doors. Here's what I mean:

So the bracket comes with the cage, but the ring holders you buy from King's are meant to slide right into them. And just FYI the ring holders they sell are for SS cups, but the rings themselves are chrome-plated, not SS.
Ok....(these are those stupid brackets that are so hard to clean ? lol)...I wish I could remove them altogether. Why did they design them with SO many dirt-catching ridges? I hate them!grrr

So, I'll have to order the rings from Kings only? I thought I saw some for sale on ebay for the Alum. cages. I tried to call Kings to inquire about replacing the cups when I placed my order, but of course no answer.

Do these brackets hold ANY 10 OZ SS cup?

& oh, ....BRONZE & Silver.... oh, yeah baby!

Now, comes the fun part!
Finding long 33"(inside"?) branches that are curvy and gorgeous to replace the cheap wood dowel. Whats the best place to get them?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Ok....(these are those stupid brackets that are so hard to clean ? lol)...I wish I could remove them altogether. Why did they design them with SO many dirt-catching ridges? I hate them!grrr

So, I'll have to order the rings from Kings only? I thought I saw some for sale on ebay for the Alum. cages. I tried to call Kings to inquire about replacing the cups when I placed my order, but of course no answer.

Do these brackets hold ANY 10 OZ SS cup?

Now, comes the fun part!

Finding long 33"? branches that are curvey and gorgeous to replace the cheap wood dowel. Whats the best place to get them?

I am pretty sure the brackets DON'T hold any SS cup, but that you have to use the ones they come with. But, there might be some SS cups that happen to fit. I only have one other set of 10 oz ones and they don't fit.

And yes... they really do catch a lot of dirt and food. :cautious:

As for perches... I actually don't use any perches that go the whole way cross because my little Lola is lazy, lazy and I try not to encourage her to be a perch potato. But, I know John at Bird on the Rocks does custom perches and he has beautiful sandblasted manzanita, and I think sometimes also grapevine wood and dragonwood. I'm not sure if the Little Perch Company has them that long but they also have gorgeous wood, and a huge variety!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:dance4: isnt Don great :) Yes he is very chatty, you should meet him in person and try and get out of his store :eek: If I am in a hurry I hope he is in the back working on something ;)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congrats on finally choosing and ordering a cage. That is one of the hardest things to choose.