• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for SS cage...need asap. St Paul

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I make my own double bolt perches :) You wait, 33 inches is the outside dimension. The inside will be more like 32. Bronze is a great color.

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I am pretty sure the brackets DON'T hold any SS cup, but that you have to use the ones they come with. But, there might be some SS cups that happen to fit. I only have one other set of 10 oz ones and they don't fit.

And yes... they really do catch a lot of dirt and food. :cautious:

As for perches... I actually don't use any perches that go the whole way cross because my little Lola is lazy, lazy and I try not to encourage her to be a perch potato. But, I know John at Bird on the Rocks does custom perches and he has beautiful sandblasted manzanita, and I think sometimes also grapevine wood and dragonwood. I'm not sure if the Little Perch Company has them that long but they also have gorgeous wood, and a huge variety!
Thanks! Well, I guess I goofed up not ordering the brackets & cups at time of order...now I'll have to see if I can call before they send out my order, and include them with the free shipping. Otherwise, its 14/per cup plus shipping! oy. I really wish they had a way to replace the feed doors with something smooth if we dont want to use them. Maybe there's a way to cut rectangles of Plexi to fit over them, and screw them on.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great choice, ArtBird!! A big investment up front, but it'll totally be worth it when Ki is settled and happy. :)

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
:dance4: isnt Don great :) Yes he is very chatty, you should meet him in person and try and get out of his store :eek: If I am in a hurry I hope he is in the back working on something ;)
After talking for 3 hours yesterday (!!!!!) and two hours today, he told me I was 1 in 1000 bird owners who used common sense...lol...and he thought I should have an african gray as my second bird. What a character. I can see how he'd rub people the wrong way, maybe really excellent with birds, not so perceptive with people. I tried to get off the phone about 4 times....even being very direct....with no luck....is this that "long Minnesota good-bye"? :rofl:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
He is very knowledgable about cages though :)

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Congrats on finally choosing and ordering a cage. That is one of the hardest things to choose.
Thank you. I hope I wont have to do this again anytime soon!

I was able to order two of the SS cups. They gave me the discount on those as well, and they will arrive with my order.

Last edited:

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Now that I'm preparing for the new larger cage,...it occurred to me that I have to get rid of the old one!

What do you do with older cages that have chips in the pc, and a few tiny spots of rust in some of the scratches and dents. I dont feel good about selling it, for fear some person would actually put a parrot in it with out steam cleaning & re-pc-ing it. I am totally willing to donate it to a rescue...but feel bad that the PC is not in better shape. Other than that, its sturdy and strong, all the doors and locks work and no bent bars or anything.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Now that I'm preparing for the new larger cage,...it occurred to me that I have to get rid of the old one!

What do you do with older cages that have chips in the pc, and a few tiny spots of rust in some of the scratches and dents. I dont feel good about selling it, for fear some person would actually put a parrot in it with out steam cleaning & re-pc-ing it. I am totally willing to donate it to a rescue...but feel bad that the PC is not in better shape. Other than that, its sturdy and strong, all the doors and locks work and no bent bars or anything.
I think donating it is a good idea. How chipped are we talking?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I once gave one away on CL. I strongly stated that it needed new PC and would soon not be safe.

And I disinfected it ahead of time, which I always do when I sell a cage.

I'm trying to decide what to do with Rowdy's. I can't get the tray fixed unless I do it in white or gray (cage is black) and A&E won't even talk to me to SELL me a new one :mad:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I once gave one away on CL. I strongly stated that it needed new PC and would soon not be safe.

And I disinfected it ahead of time, which I always do when I sell a cage.

I'm trying to decide what to do with Rowdy's. I can't get the tray fixed unless I do it in white or gray (cage is black) and A&E won't even talk to me to SELL me a new one :mad:
What the heck??? Why would a company not want to talk to you??? They'd be getting more money, after all!! :cautious:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
What the heck??? Why would a company not want to talk to you??? They'd be getting more money, after all!! :cautious:

Because they are jerks? I don't know but they don't call me back or answer my emails. And looks like Kings only sells replacements for their European line (no black cages) and HQ doesn't seem to have any way to contact them? Don't know if I should try Prevue or Centurian?

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Because they are jerks? I don't know but they don't call me back or answer my emails. And looks like Kings only sells replacements for their European line (no black cages) and HQ doesn't seem to have any way to contact them? Don't know if I should try Prevue or Centurian?
That's crazy and ridiculous. :cool: How unproffesional!!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
That's crazy and ridiculous. :cool: How unproffesional!!

Yep, and trays shouldn't peel, bubble and rust in less than a year. I won't be buying anymore of theirs.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika

I am in the same boat. I dont know if I should store it in the "what if" I suddenly need a cage for whatever reason, or to donate it or to throw away. Mine has some of the power coated pain peeled though... It's been loved but not in bad shape still haven't figured out what to do.

what did you decide to do?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
It never hurts to have one extra. You could use it as an outdoor cage.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
It never hurts to have one extra. You could use it as an outdoor cage.
I live on the second floor of an artists loft building in downtown Saint Paul. I'm sure it would get stolen if I left it outside. Also...there is a question of space. I dont have a big loft- its just a 1000 sq' ft studio- that houses my art studio and living areas, so- not enough room to have two cages. Sadly. I also have a travel cage, and its stored in the basement.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I think donating it is a good idea. How chipped are we talking?
Many of the upper bars around his "loft" area have tiny chips all along the bars. I've had this cage for 6 years, but this all happened about 2 years ago, when I had to work longer hours to survive, and he was mad because he was used to being out most of the time. (I think its only unsafe if a bird actually eats a lot of the paint, which I know he wasnt, but still....) :depressed: :eek: :wtf: . Its pretty bad, imo.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I am in the same boat. I dont know if I should store it in the "what if" I suddenly need a cage for whatever reason, or to donate it or to throw away. Mine has some of the power coated pain peeled though... It's been loved but not in bad shape still haven't figured out what to do.

what did you decide to do?
Not sure yet...maybe donate it to MAARS sanctuary.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Don, (who has had 150 pet supply stores) says that Preview is bottom-of-the-line as far as cage quality. :(