• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Korbel and Maui's Playgym overhaul......

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Korbel is not all a Mama's boy, oh no. :cool:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:omg:
Beautiful!!!
You like it so far Danita? :D When I picked the old gym up to move it outside I said outloud.... "Sorry Danita" :( You made us not cut corners with anything. :D I spent my last day off for the summer stripping bark from all my logs and prettiest perches. :p

Momto3boys

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brandy
Why would you strip the bark, just out of curiosity...LOL wouldnt that be something the birds would do over time?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Why would you strip the bark, just out of curiosity...LOL wouldnt that be something the birds would do over time?
Yes they would strip the bark over time. The first gym had maple logs for the supports, maple bark is not good for birds so we stripped it. This gym has willow for the supports but I stripped them because it's much easier to clean smooth wood with poop than bark with poop. :D The perches I stripped because I did not have a ton of drying time. I wanted them washed and in the oven and the bark would have just been falling of in strips. Grapevine bark is really loose stuff, most would have come off during washing. :p Grapevine shrinks a lot when dry, I needed to put them in the oven.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I spent my last day off for the summer stripping bark from all my logs and prettiest perches.
What, no more days off?
Brutal!

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
wow!! those really do look absolutely awesome! i have started a few things to steal your ideas. i made a small 'table' that i plan to make a play tree on. you are truly an inspiration to us all!! :hug8:

a couple questions on logistics... so i can shamelessly steal your ideas. ;)

what is the diameter of your willow poles?

how do you secure the perches to the willow bases?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

What, no more days off?
Brutal!
:( No, no more days off until September. :o: Hubby and I are flying to Vegas tomorrow or Tuesday with two birds. ;) ( work related ) So the gym had to be put on hold until we come back. It was VERY short notice so we should not expect any changes this week. :p

a couple questions on logistics... so i can shamelessly steal your ideas. ;)
what is the diameter of your willow poles?
how do you secure the perches to the willow bases?
Steal away! :D ( but make it better ) The logs are 3" in diameter and are attached to the floor with really long lag bolts. ( lag??? right??? :o: ) The perches are attached to the logs with SS screws that we sink into the wood. All of this is SO easy and SO fun to arrange! Joe and I are NOT handymen so if we can do it anyone can.

Find a way Beth to use Ellen's idea. I already see what she was talking about with the edge being better off flush. I just could not see a way that the babies would have left it alone. They are SO curious and I know that if I was making this for any other birds I have I could have left it flush but not these two..... they pick at EVERYTHING!

All I have to say is all of you better post pictures of your DIY gyms. :D I'm ready to steal other people's creativity for a while. :lol:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Have you ever thought about selling these? :p

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
No, no more days off until September. Hubby and I are flying to Vegas tomorrow or Tuesday with two birds. ( work related ) So the gym had to be put on hold until we come back. It was VERY short notice so we should not expect any changes this week.
Now Vegas?
Jealous of the the stand and now jealous of Vegas :)

See if you can pick up the money I left there last time, it should still be in one of the machines!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:) yes Vegas. It is SO hot! 101 degrees I think. Echo is filming a commerical today and we are on set right now. I have not seen your money... where did you leave it? :D

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Now Vegas?
Jealous of the the stand and now jealous of Vegas :)

See if you can pick up the money I left there last time, it should still be in one of the machines!
Sorry Danita. I already told her that it is a rule to leave you money in Vegas - gotta keep NV green. Al least your money will have company.

101f - that's not hot 115f is hot. 101f is barely warm enough to melt the ice floes off Lake Mead - besides, it's a dry heat.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
:) yes Vegas. It is SO hot! 101 degrees I think. Echo is filming a commerical today and we are on set right now. I have not seen your money... where did you leave it? :D
Well, since you're there, check around the Blackjack tables at the Bellagio .. pretty certain I left money around there!!

I'm with MaryLynn .. 101 is nothing .. I would love it!! I went to Vegas years ago for the July 4th weekend, it was scorching and I couldn't get enough!! Felt like I needed at least a week there to finally melt the ice that Midwestern winters have permanently implanted in my bones!!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Our friend just sent us a text picture of him sitting by the lazy river at the MGM drinking a bucket of beer!
I will look for you when I go there in July Teresa :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Here's tonight. I just hung my new nets! I LOVE them! I even got them with 10% off and free shipping at Winged Victory's I think I said two weeks when I started this, I still have at least that. I'm really running out of dining room..... IMG_3593_1600x1200.jpg IMG_3595_1600x1200.jpg IMG_3600_900x1200.jpg IMG_3603_900x1200.jpg IMG_3605_900x1200.jpg IMG_3608_1600x1200.jpg

PS.. :rofl: Don't look at the holes in the ceiling, we have to fill them. I could not paint until I knew where the nets were going.

PSS... :rofl::rofl: don't look at my table, all their toys are piled in the middle as I need new hooks.

Last edited:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Those boys look pleased as punch to each have a net of his own!