• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Korbel and Maui's Playgym overhaul......

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Looks amazing! I wish you were closer and I could buy one from you! I also wish I was more handy..and now that I'm wishing, I wish....

:D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It looks wonderful so far! Matt

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
It's looking really great!

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks amazing .. as I knew it would!! :heart:

Sarah .. question for you ... the laminate flooring that you used, did you purchase that as a solid sheet, or .. is it pieces <strips> that you attached to a wood base?

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
That is amazing

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Sarah .. question for you ... the laminate flooring that you used, did you purchase that as a solid sheet, or .. is it pieces <strips> that you attached to a wood base?
The playgym is tongue and groove pieces. I'm not sure I would want to do that again. :o: My cages are solid sheet laminate 4x8 I think. The solid sheets have a groove that is not waterproof so we lay newspaper over the top, we knew we wanted to anyway for easier cleaning.

http://TrafficMaster Kingston Peak Hickory 8 mm Thick x 7-19/32 in. Wide x 50-25/32 in. Length Laminate Flooring (21.44 sq. ft. / case)-FB0346DYI2856WG001 at The Home Depot
http://GP Canyon Yew 32 sq. ft. MDF Wall Panel-739525 at The Home Depot
This is the product I could find that was close to what we have in the cages.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Here is this morning. :D The next steps will be boring as we need to disassemble the net, toys, plexi and all fasteners to paint and re hang the new nets. The bowls and front perches can not go on until we see the net distances. We don't want poop in the bowls now do we. ;)

2013-05-08 07.45.49.jpg 2013-05-08 07.45.59.jpg 2013-05-08 07.47.42.jpg 2013-05-08 07.48.26.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I love the net bridge! Matt

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Looks awesome! :)

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Stupid question. But are those just fence posts?

Also what branches do you use for your perches?

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
The laminate flooring gives more size options than countertop laminate, I'm thinking?

Another option for the table top surface that I just thought of is the stuff that they use to panel the walls of some commercial restrooms - it's similar to the material used in shower surrounds. I have to look into how easy it is to drill through and cut without cracking it. It would be super easy to clean, though.

ETA: Sarah, I want to thank you for sharing this with us. It's giving me a lot of ideas. I was going to create a large playground for Ziggy close to floor level (because of falling concerns) in our new digs, but doing something like this will bring him closer to the height of the other birds, which he will like, and I just have to put tumbling mats around the edges, in case he falls off the table.

It's also started me thinking about different options for Rosebud and Socrates, as well as all of the mid sized birds.

Again, thank you so much.

Last edited:

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
:jillone: So now that your done with yours can y'all come down to Texas and help me with mine!:lol:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Stupid question. But are those just fence posts?

Also what branches do you use for your perches?
No, they are not fence posts. They are willow logs with the bark removed. We were going to cut some corners and use fence posts but AA's love for the previous gym made us double think that. :D The branches are wild grapevine I have growing out at work but the last gym was dragonwood.

The laminate flooring gives more size options than countertop laminate, I'm thinking?
Another option for the table top surface that I just thought of is the stuff that they use to panel the walls of some commercial restrooms - it's similar to the material used in shower surrounds. I have to look into how easy it is to drill through and cut without cracking it. It would be super easy to clean, though.

I was going to create a large playground for Ziggy close to floor level (because of falling concerns) I just have to put tumbling mats around the edges, in case he falls off the table.
Aww, Thanks Heidrun! I love that everyone loves it so much.... we try. :p We did not use the countertop laminate because hubby says it is very difficult to cut as you need a certain type of saw and he said it is VERY sharp.... we are not "builders" by trade so I really don't know but I trusted him. We were going to use FRP which is what I think you are thinking of but again, looks wise, I wanted a wood look.
4 ft. x 8 ft. White .090 FRP Wall Board-MFTF12IXA480009600 at The Home Depot It is easy to cut and drill though :D I would cover up the edges though as it can be sharp but not as sharp as the countertop stuff. As far as falling.... Maui did quite a great deal of that the last year from his bad wing clip. I bought eco friendly foam flooring tiles to surround the gym floor. It worked great. Watch what you buy though, the ones at home depot smelled awful so I went with the eco friendly ones. :D
So now that your done with yours can y'all come down to Texas and help me with mine!:lol:
:hehe: Done???? :huh: We just started....:p You have not seen anything yet. We do have to paint the walls and trim, fix plexi on the windows... but this is only the floor level :rolleyes:Ariel airel residences still need to be installed. :D That and I can't put in the front perches until I see where the nets hang.... ;) No Texas for me..

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Yes, that wall board, except with a completely smooth surface, is what I'm thinking about. I did figure that I would need to trim out the edges because of sharpness, and so that beaks can't work at it and possibly get to the adhesive.

With Ziggy's fall-like-a-rock abilities, I think I need something with more of a cushioning effect than the foam flooring tiles, since the floor of the new birdroom is going to be concrete. So, I'm looking at tumbling mats, and if those aren't available in the sizes I will need, I might make my own, using a thick foam mattress topper and sewing my own wipeable covers.

Tara tends to tumble also, when she's startled, so I have to cushion her areas too.

I never thought I'd spend so much of my life worrying about birds falling and how to keep duck feet dry. It seems to go against nature. :o:

ETA: Is there such a think as untreated fence posts? I was looking for something along that line to use as scratching posts for my cats, but couldn't find anything untreated.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Ya know, we did not get a chance to look into the fence posts as we decided on the willow before we went to the store. Makes sense though that you would not find untreated :o: That would be silly to sell. ;)
We put a pine wood trim edge on so they could not eat the flooring. It will be very easy to replace once they chew that up.

Ziggy and Dagwood Thank you for all your worry. :hug8:I can't wait to see your play ares!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How high is the perches from the ground? How high is the floor of the gym from the floor?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The floor to the bottom of the gym is 20 inches. The bottom of the gym to the perches is 20 inches. Total height from floor to perches is only 40 inches. (I'm sure you could have done that math ) :rofl: The net is above my head but quite a distance, Korbel leaps down at me when I'm underneath. :D