• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Korbel and Maui's Playgym overhaul......

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

IMG_2748.jpg
It has taken quite awhile for Joe and I to come to this decision but we are dismantling the playgym and building two separate ones for Korbel and Maui. At only a year and a half old we see that they have very different personalities and most times of the day those personalities collide causing arguments that should be avoided. Korbel is an independent play type, wants what he wants and is happy to keep himself entertained when mama is not in the room. Maui wants anything Korbel has and gets very upset when Korbel won't play the "steal it" game.

Today starts the building process and we are also attempting to learn from our mistakes with the first one. We are going to try having no bedding as it makes quite a mess but we will have the option of putting it back if it does not work out. The playgyms will also be able to link together for the times they are getting along. In fact if we see that they just needed more room I will buy a java tree stand to place in-between the two gyms permanently so they will have access to both. They don't hate each other at all, they are just two different birds that have two different ways of entertaining themselves on a daily basis.

Both gym will have floor, perches, and nets. Yes one bird will lose the window view but the other side has a window too... just not as large. If they seem fine about it they can switch off and on and rotate gyms but we will See how it goes.

Pictures should be coming all week...... I'm trying to be excited :D I just hope I love them as much as I have loved this one.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It sounds like they will both have amazing areas! Matt

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Can't wait to see your ideas!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!

sonja

Jogging around the block
Sounds like it's going to be really nice! Do they ever climb off of the play area onto the window sills, or fish tank?

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
My favorite playstand in the whole world is being dismantled :(
I know!! :( I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that play area .. getting ready to do something very, very similar for my gang too!! Sarah's design was my inspiration!! Say .. hmm .. lol . whatcha gonna do with it??? :lol:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My favorite playstand in the whole world is being dismantled :(
OMG I know :( Joe and I are crushed too. We have been putting it off hoping they were going through a phase but it's time. I hope that maybe when they have more room they will be better to each other as they don't argue all day but we will only know when we know. If they are better they will link together for more room.

Sounds like it's going to be really nice! Do they ever climb off of the play area onto the window sills, or fish tank?
The playgym is tall enough that they don't climb down, the window has lexsan in front of it and the fish tank stand IS a chew toy. ;)

Sarah's design was my inspiration!! Say .. hmm .. lol . whatcha gonna do with it??? :lol:
Thanks Merlie. It's everyone's love for it that has Joe and I really hoping we can make two just as nice. It was not an easy decision for us but it also was not our decision. :( I wish I could say come pick it up.... :D but it really really needed an overhaul anyway. Two crazy young macaws have really done a number on it. :rofl: Lots of numbers on it. :rolleyes:

We will try to make everyone proud. :p

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have one hour until hubby comes home and I'm supposed to have this decision made.

Sizes and shapes. :confused:

There is 15" between the gyms... I need Maui to not be able to jump that. :rolleyes: Korbel can fly so it really does not matter if he can jump it.

IMG_3529_1600x1200.jpg IMG_3530_900x1200.jpg IMG_3531_1600x1200.jpg IMG_3532_1600x1200.jpg IMG_3535_1600x1200.jpg IMG_3533_1600x1200.jpg

My dining room is quickly getting smaller.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm very excited to see what you come up with, I love your previous area. May it rest in pieces.

Will Maui ever be able to fly? I assume so, and if the answer is yes I wouldn't sweat that space too much. Once out of the clumsy baby stage and actually able to keep feathers long enough to fly it probably won't matter. :D

I would think a macaw could jump/reach 15in if they really wanted to... hrmm. I'm not sure what to do about that either.
What if you cut that corner at an angle to keep it further away? Or you could hang toys/perches in that space at dramatically different heights? Near the table on one side, near the ceiling on the other side? But then the bird on the higher area will get its tail feathers pulled, if I know anything about baby macaws. :rolleyes:

Good luck, I look forward to seeing it finished!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm hoping someday Maui will fly :rolleyes: I will use your word and say clumsy :o:

I tested it and Maui can not reach 15"... at least not today and not for a walnut :p Korbel hopped it. I think once they are in their own space they will not be trying to tail pull and argue across the border, well... that is my hopes. Toys and such would only be climbed to reach each other, different heights ... Maui would fall down but could not fall up :rofl: Hoping hubby will approve of the layout and that my walnut test worked.... :D

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Can you just make two exactly like that?
:D

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Who needs a dining room table?! ;)

I'm looking forward to the new one - I am sure it will provide as much inspiration as the current one has.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award

Good idea! She could just get rid of the dining room table! :hmmm:
I got rid of my dining table to give the Cake Monsters a bigger area! I got rid of a loveseat to make room for a bigger play area in my big front window. Who needs furniture .. the birds just end up using it as perches or chew toys anyway!! :rofl:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm sorry they're not getting along well enough.

Is it possible to make two playstands near the same window? One playstand on either side of the window.

So you don't need to dismantle. Just make a replica.

Last edited: