• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think Wonka laid a bloody and deformed egg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
It definitely looks like a baby bird to me but how in the would would it be growing in her. I have never heard of this!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Doesn't look like an egg to me. It does look like some kind of growth that was passed. Unless it is a really old egg that never really formed and was just stuck in there and has now passed????

Is the white part shell material?

Last edited:

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
could be the gum wrapped around some sort of food, I doubt it would be a chick that had formed in the bird. The bird would have been egg bound, and the likely hood of egg peritonitis would be almost certain if the egg didn't pass.

did you save it? I would, a vet is going to want to see it, if you go.

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Kelsey I was only saying that if you didnt think she was improving or that there was anything else you could do. :hug8:It seems like you are getting more advice so I hope everything works out for you. It is wonderful that you are trying to nurse this bird back to health.

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

I don't think that could be an egg because, if it had been, she would have been eggbound. Plus, the white part was too thick to be a soft eggshell (when the eggshell is soft from lack of calcium, it's almost transparent not thick like that). But weirder things have happen and, in truth, we know so little about birds that anything is possible.

Personally, I would just keep on doing what you were doing and keep a real sharp eye on her. This just might be something that needed to come out for her to get better but, if it's not and she starts going downhill, I would consider euthanasia. I would also look for a local dove breeder and ask him/her the questions.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
If a regular avian vet can not see her you might phone a wildlife care center or rehabber. A care center may have a vet on staff or refer you to one that can help.

The egg has obviously been in her for awhile. It looks like it was soft shelled, and the fuzziness to the shell looks like there is also an infection going on.

I have heard of an egg being stuck in the shell gland and developing from the body heat...but that is only 'heard' This particula egg looks like it had a fully developed chick that had already drawn in the blood and yolk and was ready to pip out. If so...the bacterial buildup on the exterior of the egg would have killed it.

She definitely needs a vet. Her most urgent needs would be fluid therapy, injectable calcium and a good multi-vitamin shot, and put on a course of antibiotics.

The presure from the egg inside will places pressure on the intestines and the kidneys which would also have affected the texture/consistency of the droppings.

A vet can do an X-ray to see if there is anything left or impacted in the oviduct.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
If a regular avian vet can not see her you might phone a wildlife care center or rehabber. A care center may have a vet on staff or refer you to one that can help.

The egg has obviously been in her for awhile. It looks like it was soft shelled, and the fuzziness to the shell looks like there is also an infection going on.

I have heard of an egg being stuck in the shell gland and developing from the body heat...but that is only 'heard' This particula egg looks like it had a fully developed chick that had already drawn in the blood and yolk and was ready to pip out. If so...the bacterial buildup on the exterior of the egg would have killed it.

She definitely needs a vet. Her most urgent needs would be fluid therapy, injectable calcium and a good multi-vitamin shot, and put on a course of antibiotics.

The presure from the egg inside will places pressure on the intestines and the kidneys which would also have affected the texture/consistency of the droppings.

A vet can do an X-ray to see if there is anything left or impacted in the oviduct.
Susanne, she is in Australia, is a rehabber student BUT she can't take it to a vet because the birds is a not a natural species to Australia and will be put down...she is trying to save it...
Has been giving it antibiotics etc...but an egg being inside 18 days to be ready to hatch and the bird hasn't died of peritonitis before now is cause for ?ing if it really is an egg...:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
YES I agree its an egg...and the baby needs to go again to a vet..perhaps a different course of antibiotics is in order...

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Wow, that is really interesting. I'm wondering if that was what was making her sick in the first place? Hope BF's vet can explain it better.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have no idea as to the answer, but did have this thought~ I have opened chicken eggs with whole chicks in them. Those chicks had to have been developed before they were laid.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well I asked sr tiels to comment as she is incredibly knowledgeable and has her own site..and honestly..it is an egg...I have never known her to be wrong before...I really think that another vet visit is in order knowing this...perhaps why the birdie has been sick all along and the antibiotics that are now being given helped save the poor t hing from worse....so another set is needed of stronger or different kind I believe.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Totally agree with that. It looks like some of it was re-absorbed and that was making her sick Alo g with it just being stuck in there and the meds seem to have done the trick ( so far ).

well I asked sr tiels to comment as she is incredibly knowledgeable and has her own site..and honestly..it is an egg...I have never known her to be wrong before...I really think that another vet visit is in order knowing this...perhaps why the birdie has been sick all along and the antibiotics that are now being given helped save the poor t hing from worse....so another set is needed of stronger or different kind I believe.

vancha

Never in my life have I heard of an egg being incubated before it is laid. I don't know if it's even possible, but I suppose theoretically anything is possible. I would bring the "egg" to an avian vet, and not necessarily specify that it is from a pigeon. It would be interesting and important to know what exactly it is... I'm very glad pigeons are properly cared for here. Many times I've found pigeons that needed veterinary attention.

Oh, and I also wanted to say: baby pigeons are not born big. They are born helpless, albeit fuzzier than most baby parrots. People often destroy nests from pigeons nesting on their roofs, so I have many times had wee ones of my own. Here is a picture, just for the sake of education. :)

Also, if it means anything - baby pigeons are fed by their parents for at least 30 days. My pigeons were at least 50 days before they were "weaned". They are beggars.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
we are not saying the egg was hatched we are saying the egg was reabsorbed...

vancha

we are not saying the egg was hatched we are saying the egg was reabsorbed...
I know that. :)
I just wanted to show what baby pigeons do look like, as most people have never seen one. The reason I mentioned eggs incubating inside a hen is because some people suggested that, and I had never heard of that happening.

Last edited:

Kimba

how long as the female been kept for? any bird can lay an egg without a male, but an egg is only going to grow and turn from liquid into a baby bird if it is fertilized. And if the "egg" is actually an egg.......it would have had to be fertilized to have"meat" in it.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Well, I don't have this "egg" anymore. I didn't think to refrigerate it in this Australian heat and it is now actually a health concern to have it around. It stinks to high heaven, so I have now disposed of it.

I've had Wonka for 10 days when she passed this thing. Today is day 11 and she is acting like usual. As if nothing happened. :S

There is no sign of any blood in her droppings and after the "egg" she is actually passing some urates regularly too! This is something she hasn't done since the first night (when the urates where heavily mixed with blood).

Her vent seems ok now.

So, honestly, what do you guys think my next step of action should be?

Take her to the vet to be euthanised because there is something majorly wrong with her?

Or try something else?

Thank you for all the help!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
no no take her to the vet and get STRONGER ANTIBIOTICS..i think that is all you need at this point .really dont give up on her yet

Status
Not open for further replies.