• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think Wonka laid a bloody and deformed egg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Not for the faint of heart... Photos included.

Wonka's story can be found here: http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-emergency-highway-911/4054-found-sick-bird-please-help.html

I just checked on her a minute ago and I found a deformed whitish lump near her vent.

At first I thought it might have been a piece of chewed up bubblegum that she finally pooped out (which would explain her illness and funny droppings).

When I picked it up it was rubbery and too "solid" to be chewing gum. So I broke it open and there was definitely something pink and fleshy in there. :(

Is it an egg???

Her vent is a little swollen now and it looks like there might be another egg in there. What do I do!? It is almost 11PM here.

Here are the photos.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh my goodness. She needs to get to the vet ASAP. How is she acting? Is she fluffed up and lethargic? Is she able to poo? Is she eating and drinking?

Ginger

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Personally, I don't think it is an egg...eggs have white/yolk inside...not pinkish stuff...could it be something she has eaten at some point in time that is now able to pass with all the meds you have given to her?:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending healing thoughts!:hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Ginger, she can't take her to the vet because she is pigeon and they will put her down:hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
She's acting like always. I checked on her just before going to bed and that's when I found it. So she isn't eating or drinking anything (but it is night).

As far as I can tell, she is not fluffed up or any more lethargic than she usually is after I wake her up to check on her one last time before bed.

It is 11PM here! No vets are open, and certainly not an avian vet. :(

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
What else could it be? :(

It was definitely... meat... inside that white lump. And it was stinky!

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OK, It take 18 days for a pigeon egg to hatch..Normally they lay two eggs...
It would be very rare for a pigeon to "hold" the eggs inside the body for them to develope to the stage you have found.....I haven't found any information that even it has been recorded before...
That is what I'm basing my statement on....could it be a "mass" of worms? I understand the meds could have wormed her?

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I don't know if it could be worms. :(

Any chance it could be an organ? Anything that's vital for her to have?

I'm completely freaking out!

It was slightly bloody on the inside of the thing too. It really looked like a semi-formed chick. But you're right, that doesn't make sense!

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
No I don't think an organ either...What I'm wondering is if these "worms" are encapsulated by a substance inside the intestinal tract as they are passed...I'm sending this thread on to my CAV and see if she can give me an answer...Probably won't be today that she will get back...just to let you know..:hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you!

I hope she'll be fine. :( I feel so terribly helpless. I just don't know what it is or what to do.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
You are doing everything you can...
Do you still have her on meds?:hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
No, she finished her Coccivet meds yesterday. She is now on ACV in her water only.

I was advised to put her on a weight gaining diet (on the pigeon forum) so her diet now includes a seed mix with red & white millet, black oil sunflower, cracked corn, wheat, groats and milo.

She also gets chopped up nuts.

Today she had some cos/romaine lettuce as well, but I'm not sure if she's even touched it.

I don't think any of these could cause this.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Did anyone on the Pigeon forum think it could be an egg?:hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Well, they haven't said it couldn't be an egg. But I think everyone is as baffled as I am. :(

Not many people on there are replying.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
It seems to me if people on the pigeon forum dont know what it is and we dont know what it is, the only way to know would be to bring it to a vet to be sampled. If this bird is not well and not getting better, dont you think it would be more humane to have it put to sleep? :(

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
If you have the slippery elm, mix 1 teaspoon powder to 4 teaspoons of water and give her some, do not feed dry. It will help her pass anything and is good for the GI tract.

Ask at the pigeon forum if the mass is relatively the same size of an egg compared to her body.

You are doing good.

gary

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
It seems to me if people on the pigeon forum dont know what it is and we dont know what it is, the only way to know would be to bring it to a vet to be sampled. If this bird is not well and not getting better, dont you think it would be more humane to have it put to sleep? :(
It honestly did seem like Wonka was getting better. :( She had no more blood in her droppings, she was starting to eat on her own, she slept on one foot, she became much more active during the day and her droppings have even started becoming firmer in the last few days.

She honestly looked like she was well on her way to recovery.

Then this. :(

So you think having her put to sleep is the best option? I don't want her to suffer, but I also don't want to sentence her to a sure death if it isn't necessary.

Right now she looks fine again. Her vent isn't as swollen anymore (are vents usually swollen after laying an egg?)

She just passed some droppings and there is no blood in it. Still very watery though.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi,

Keep doing what you are doing. Did you buy any Vetafarm Doxyvet? It most likely the best product you can buy without a prescription for a GI tract infection.

gary

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
it looks like an egg to me and it does sort of look like a baby but pigeon babies are big when they're born they're only fed by their parents until they're 18 days old. because the parents usually go to nest again.

She is getting grit right? Pigeons are one bird that has to have grit!

Status
Not open for further replies.