• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I was scammed !

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am glad you are keeping her. She is a cutie.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad she's not in pain, and that your keeping this sweet little girl! I'm sure she will be very happy in your home, and I hope the breeder pays your vet bill.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you are keeping her. As for the breeder offering a refund but taking $50 off for her trouble, that's RUDE. She definitely should pay you for the vet visit. I wonder how the baby broke it's leg. Use platforms and flat perches. You can wrap the perches with vet wrap for better grip and comfort. She should do OK. Birds adapt. In addition to Callisto I have a sparrow who has issues with his legs and feet and can't perch. He can grip with the left foot so he can pull himself up a bit. He's had these issues since he was a baby and he's done OK.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am very happy that she came to you and I now loved and properly cared for:) very good of you to keep this poor baby!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Poor baby! Is s/he able to eat with a foot? My concern is if s/he can't stand on the bad foot alone and can't grip with it either, how will s/he eat? I hope you are able to take care of his/her needs. Thank you for not returning him/her to the person who let this happen.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Poor baby! Is s/he able to eat with a foot? My concern is if s/he can't stand on the bad foot alone and can't grip with it either, how will s/he eat? I hope you are able to take care of his/her needs. Thank you for not returning him/her to the person who let this happen.
Zane's been able to feed himself without using his feet :) One of his more extreme collars wouldn't allow him to eat normally :(

Ugh!! This case has got me riled up. Where I come from if this happened to cat or dog it would been considered animal cruelty. Denying Veterinary Care can result in a person losing their cat or dog. I think it would have to an extreme case for charges to be laid thou. Obviously in this case the person no longer has the bird.

It's sooo sad and frustrating that people constantly get away with this kind of crap. I don't know what the remedy is... But I'd like to see more robust animal cruelty laws. Its complicated because of farming and research... I get that. But surely Society has some responsibility in preventing and holding those accountable who create needless suffering to these sentient beings.

Sorry rant over. I'm really glad she has a loving home. :heart: And isn't in pain. Thank God for small mercies. Poor baby. That sure did look painful. :(

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would like to see you get your fees back from that first vet and you vet bills paid by the breeder. If nothing else the breeder should be run out of business.?

What is her name? How old is she? (your baby, not the breeder)

I strongly recommend that you start her sleeping in a crate right now. She won't be able to fall and it will give her poor leg a 12 hour rest every day. Jasper has severe Arthritis. In fact she has had two toes amputated due to the pain. She has lost a lot of the grip in both feet and falls now and then, so I started her a couple of years ago sleeping in a wire dog crate, with a mattress on the bottom. I always put a few of her favorite cuddle toys in with her. She adjusted to the crate within a couple of days and now when it is bed time she goes and sits on the crate, until I come to say nite-nite and put her in it.

Here's a picture of her crate before I got the dog mattress for it;
Sleep Cage_01.JPG
Sleep Cage_02.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That poor bird. How could a breeder be so irresponsible/cruel? I am so happy that you're keeping her and giving her the love she needs.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I wonder how some massage and manipulation would help her regain some use of her foot. She probably favored it and has some atrophy now. PT would be recommended for people, so I imagine it would help her as well. I'd start with massage and gentle manipulation, working up to some exercises that she works against. Work with your vet on what would be best, and close attention to her body language. If it's fully healed, the sooner she starts using it the better. Muscles that aren't used will contract, and her use of it could further decline over time. And like Hankmacaw said, devise ways to allow her to rest her good leg. She's a beautiful bird!! I love the blue on her head.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
That' great. I have a cockatoo with only a small portion of her beak (just the base of her upper beak is intact). I've had her for 27 years. Yes I do things differently for her, but after all these years, it's not different or hard at all to me, just different than what other people do. Making sure your bird (girl? boy?) has lots of horizontal bars on the cage will help a lot as well. Good luck with that breeder. The fact that she wanted to keep $50 of your deposit is very telling as to what sort of person she is - a low-life. Don't hold your breath. A reputable person would have done everything in their power to make things right, and been gracious about it at all times.

Clyounger6

Sitting on the front steps
I emailed the breeder to ask for the vet records . She then informed me that the vet had come to her friends aviary and seen the bird there . That the bird I bought was actually a bird her friend breed who breeds larger birds . But she didn't know if there were any vet records . I'm SO mad right now ! I told her I wanted to talk to whoever I actually bought my bird from to see exactly what the vet said . I'm starting to think there was no vet visit .

Clyounger6

Sitting on the front steps
@fitzgerald16 would that hammock be better than a solid square perch in a corner ? I'm concerned she will have a hard time getting out of it with her leg .

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Callisto has a wire platform that I wrapped with vet wrap. It's sort of "bouncy". She has more difficulty with that than she does the flat hard perches. I am going to be replacing the wire platform with a solid wood one.
I hope you can speak with the actual breeder and see if you can get more info.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'd be livid too!!! It's unbelievable!! I really feel for you. What shady people!! I wish you could sue them or something. Though I don't how practical that would be. Do you have anything is writing? It's so wrong happen to you and your precious baby.

I'm glad you have her now and away from those people. At least she is loved and cherished now