• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I was scammed !

Clyounger6

Sitting on the front steps
Hi , I just got my daughter a yellow shoulder amazon from a breeder . My first concer was that it has blue on its face ?? I thought that made it a blue front am I wrong ? The second thing it she told us that one of its legs was a little weaker than the other but that it was perching and doing ok in a cage . We're still hand feeding 2 times a day but I've noticed that besides putting weight on the leg it can't use it at all ,the toes don't close around its perch it can't use it to eat anything or stand on it alone . It has a really really hard time getting around its cage . I have no idea what to do .

Clyounger6

I did call our vet but he is out until the 18th we live in a tiny town in Texas I was surprised there was an avian vet at all but the closet vet beside him is over an hour away . The soonest they could get me in was a week and my vet will be back by then . So I was going to wait for my vet who I really trust . Or is this an emergency should I try to find an emergency vet ?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
i totally agree.
Me too. The fact he can't use his leg is really concerning. I can't help with what kind of Amazon he is. What I can say is there are a lot of scams out there unfortunately :(

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Getting him to the vet is going to be the first step. It sounds like he may have had a broken leg or something. :(

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Personally I think the 18th is too long to wait. :( I'd take him to a vet ASAP. If it's broken or if it's getting worse it really shouldn't wait

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I found a vet about an hour and a half from where I live and got an appt for tomorrow . I will let everybody know how it goes . I saw the reply that just had @jmfleish I'm not sure what that means ??
Michelle was summoning Jen Fleish for you. She has amazon experience.
I'm so glad you got the appt! He must be in so much pain.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he is okay, and glad you found a vet you can take him to!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
So glad you are getting him to the vet. Hopefully it is something that can be easily treated.

In the meantime you should WRITE the breeder and tell him/her that your Amazon had to be taken to the vet and that you expect him/her to pay the bill. Also, inform her that you don't feel she sold you the bird you though you were getting - it's a Bluefront. This letter will put the breeder on notice that you aren't going to just lay down and accept her fraud. Whether you want to keep the baby or not is your decision, but the breeder should absolutely pay the vet cost.

If you can post a picture of your baby someone here can tell you which species the baby is.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
PS - Get copies of all test results, xrays and a statement from the DR about what is wrong and if he/she knows, what has caused it.

Clyounger6

I was reading an article that said some will have blue on the face the size is the main difference between the 2 species so maybe it's just rare ?? This is her/him . And if you zoom in you can see on the left foot it's toes don't close around the perch . IMG_3441.JPG

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And always keep a copy of everything (in case you do send a letter).

Thank you for taking the little one to the vet. Sad to know that there is a leg injury when you consider they stand on them 24 hours a day/7 days a week. With one leg injured, there is no rest for the other leg.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Not using his left toes is quite obvious. Sure is a pretty guy.

I'm not very knowledgeable about Amazon species, but sure looks like a blue front.

Is there anything wrong with it's upper mandible, or is it just shadow? I downloaded the picture and enlarged it, but still couldn't tell.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's a cutie. I hope she's okay.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran