• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I was scammed !

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I'm starting to think there was no vet visit .
I don't know where you live but here in California there is a "Puppy Lemon Law" this can be used for other animals, for consumer protection. I would also contact all animal abuse agency's and report her as a reckless and abusive breeder. That should make her uncomfortable. I would contact her and inform her of your proceedings and that you are tried of this runaround, that you have tried in good faith to resolve this issue to avail. hopefully this should get her to be more cooperative.
Most folks just drop it ...and breeders know this, (you be the one to make them accountable)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm mad with you...... no excuse for not taking that bird to a vet and then lying about it as well? Shame.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sad that they just left this lil one and more then likely didnt get it any care for the leg ....such a pretty lil one ...thank you for taking him/her on ...best of luck and welcome to the forum :greet9:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I don't know where you live but here in California there is a "Puppy Lemon Law" this can be used for other animals, for consumer protection. I would also contact all animal abuse agency's and report her as a reckless and abusive breeder. That should make her uncomfortable. I would contact her and inform her of your proceedings and that you are tried of this runaround, that you have tried in good faith to resolve this issue to avail. hopefully this should get her to be more cooperative.
Most folks just drop it ...and breeders know this, (you be the one to make them accountable)
If it is a business, I'd also report her to the Better Business Bureau. If anyone does look, the last thing a buyer wants to see is that a young bird was bought with an injured leg and that the breeder would deduct $X for the inconvenience of the return. And I would phrase it exactly that way.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it is a business, I'd also report her to the Better Business Bureau. If anyone does look, the last thing a buyer wants to see is that a young bird was bought with an injured leg and that the breeder would deduct $X for the inconvenience of the return. And I would phrase it exactly that way.
Are you allowed to post negative things on craigslist?

I certainly think others need to be aware of this person's shady practices.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have seen negative things listed as a post on CL but I think you can also contact CL and complain that this specific vendor sold you a young bird with a broken (incorrectly healed) leg and wanted to deduct $X from the price for the bird's return. Also mention whether the vet bill you incurred was reimbursed or not (including to the BBB).

When you bought your Amazon were you given a set number of days to have your fid checked or did it come with a health guarantee. Most I've seen cover a 7 day health guarantee but you must take the bird to your own vet within that set time.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Absolutely that too !

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Whaaat? I thought she was offering you $50 which I thought was ridiculously low and that she should pay the vet bill. Return a bird to someone who was neglectful and charge you $50? The seller shouldn’t have any birds. Thank you for giving her a loving, caring home.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
@fitzgerald16 would that hammock be better than a solid square perch in a corner ? I'm concerned she will have a hard time getting out of it with her leg .
I honestly am not sure, she will probably get good at using her beak so I would think she would eventually figure out how to climb in/out. I like the idea of a hammock to really help unweight the leg but if you get a large corner perch and wrap it in a few layers of fleece. You're just going to want a soft squishy place for her to really rest that foot. Since she can't rest that foot I would check daily for any sores on her feet.

Clyounger6

Sitting on the front steps
@SandraK i didn't get anything from her except the bird and some powder food . What is an fid ? I email her last night and told her my daughter was to attached to trade back so if she would cover the initial vet bill we would take it from there . She still wants to trade back and has now offered to give back all my money but I just can't give her back it would break our hearts . I'm not sure if I have any recourse if she says no to paying the vet bill but I'm going to look into it . We have picked up all the stuff for her gym we're putting in 2 corner perches . What kind of hammock would be best her toes get caught in stuff really easy . I will post pics when we get it done . Thanks for all talks help !

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@SandraK i didn't get anything from her except the bird and some powder food . What is an fid ? I email her last night and told her my daughter was to attached to trade back so if she would cover the initial vet bill we would take it from there . She still wants to trade back and has now offered to give back all my money but I just can't give her back it would break our hearts . I'm not sure if I have any recourse if she says no to paying the vet bill but I'm going to look into it . We have picked up all the stuff for her gym we're putting in 2 corner perches . What kind of hammock would be best her toes get caught in stuff really easy . I will post pics when we get it done . Thanks for all talks help !
If she is willing to take her back then she is within her "legal rights" It's up to you now if you want to return the bird, I think you have to much compassion to forfeit your baby .

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Fid = feathered kid

Tandie

Sitting on the front steps
This is crazy!! I am going through exactly the same thing right now with a baby parrot but didn't buy him (he was surrendered to me). I cannot believe that some people can see a bird break it's leg and just leave it to heal on it's own - absolutely disgusting human beings :( The pain these poor birds have endured kills me!! Sadly my little guy wasn't really doing ok on the bad leg so we had to try to fix it. I am going to watch this thread for suggestions on how to make his life easier if we are able to get to the point where he can use his leg at all again

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
If you go on Instagram there is an account "My parrot garden" or something like that and she also has a baby amazon who has leg deformities!! you should check it out, she has some great videos and ideas!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Are you allowed to post negative things on craigslist?

I certainly think others need to be aware of this person's shady practices.
I keep seeing one on CL warning about a certain Breeder. And I think I know him! Of course you don’t know the backstory.