• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I can feel it coming....

Lara608

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lara
I am very new to all of this. My Pi is almost 6 months old. When do the hormones kick in? I have a female so what should I expect? On another note, when will I encounter a first molt? Thank you!

Komandr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristin
I am very new to all of this. My Pi is almost 6 months old. When do the hormones kick in? I have a female so what should I expect? On another note, when will I encounter a first molt? Thank you!
I second this, when is the first molt expected, and sexual maturity? Maya is nearly six months old as well.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Some sources say 3-5. Andre was about 4. His hormonal swings are not that bad.
Rules according to Andre:
1) If I am strutting leave me be.
2) If I give a half-hearted lunge leave me be.
3) If I walk away from you leave me be.

4) If I ask you "scratch your head" then you better do so. You don't know when I might ask you again.
5) If I say "shake" , then I expect you to shake my foot and say "pleased to meet you". And I expect you to continue to repeat this over and over and over until I walk away. If I am strutting and you say "shake " I will probably come over and lift my foot to shake. If I do shake. If I don't then go away.

I keep my birds on 12 -14 hours of darkness every day. That seems to keep their hormones from being horrendous.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
When I say 1-3 years old I meant puberty. Eloy was 1 years old when he began to be hormonal.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobbys still not over it yet, every time sister sits down he's on her knee trying to get scritches then woo her hand. I just tell her take the hand away, and sometimes offering a high value treat will distract him. At least he doesn't get violent and pissy and try to bite so far. And like said never touch a pi in mid strut unless your faster then they are. I could with Nerd but after so many years of trust I was allowed transgressions that would have gotten swift action on anyone else and they would be bleeding.

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Hormone season never ended here, Nick when not sitting in a paper bag keeps busy flying onto my back and attacking

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
Funny about the strut. My female will start to strut around the perimeter of her cagetop playpen and I will excitedly say "Ooh Pretty, you're so pretty" and I can touch and scratch her as she struts without fear of a bite. It is like she is a supermodel strutting the runway saying "look at me".

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
That just means she really trusts you so your allowed into her personal space. Like I said Nerd was the same only with me. Lurch never got there even though he would fly after me when I left the room. Dobby is so easy going it's hard to say as I haven't really pushed that button yet.
Nerd had his dignity so I tried not to abuse his trust too much.