• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I can feel it coming....

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I let Hardy decide how and when he wants to be handled. Because of his missing foot, he can't really step up and perch like a normal parrot. He has to step into the flat of my palm. So, I say "Hardy wanna come out?" and lay my hand flat on the bottom of his cage, approx. one foot away from him. If he is interested, he'll say "Hardy come out!" and will rush over and jump into my palm.

If he says nothing, and won't approach my hand, I leave him alone. I've learned that if he is happy and excited to come out, he'll rush right over on the first request. And I never get bit when he wants to come out. If I keep asking, he gets annoyed and will rush over and bite - but his body language is obvious (fanned tail, dropped wing, crazy eyes).

Sometimes he will not want to come out of his cage for two or three weeks. I respect his decision and leave him alone. Now, he's not really "alone". Our tv is in the bird room, so he sees us sitting and watching tv every night, and the other birds are there too. He just stays in his home, and growls at us through the side of the cage. I have found that, when he's hormonal, he will often be willing to come out first thing in the morning. But by sunset, forget it. He's NOT a night owl. He's happy to just sit on his piece of driftwood and watch us.
I absolutely agree. I can't approach Leto once the sun sets.

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
hahaha, maybe a pionus is like a werewolf, or a reverse vampire, or something equally dire! Don't be near one when the sun goes down OR ELSE!!!

:backout:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch hated going to bed, so does Dobby. Nerd was OK, tired now, going in, see you, usually around 8 or 9 but it was up to him unless we had to put him away for safety. Lurch and Dobby have gotten used to our 11pm schedule and would stay out as long as we let them, then just snooze all day while we were working. Dobby hung out with me today but spent most of his time on the curtain in here preening then sleeping.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
@cetan @Fuzzy @momazon any advice or stories on dealing with hormone surges?

And lucky you @zoo mom Is Andre DNA'd male?

Yes Andre is a DNA'D male. His behavior is very very different from Olivia (rip) a surgically sewed female. Olivia did the Pionus mating noise with tailing the air. Andre struts back and forth on top of his cage and fake lunges at you if you get too close. He bites if you ignore the 1st 2 warnings. The 2nd warning is walking away. If he struts and you approach and he fake lunges and you persist you will get bitten.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
hahaha, maybe a pionus is like a werewolf, or a reverse vampire, or something equally dire! Don't be near one when the sun goes down OR ELSE!!!

:backout:
Humm interesting. Sometimes Max is a morning bird, wanting to step up and go explore by going around house with me. Sometimes he isn't ready until late day. Charlie definitely isn't a morning bird and lately he wanted attention only at bed time but really recently he has had an energy surge and wants more attention through day.

Nice to have predictability with Hardy

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Yes Andre is a DNA'D male. His behavior is very very different from Olivia (rip) a surgically sewed female. Olivia did the Pionus mating noise with tailing the air. Andre struts back and forth on top of his cage and fake lunges at you if you get too close. He bites if you ignore the 1st 2 warnings. The 2nd warning is walking away. If he struts and you approach and he fake lunges and you persist you will get bitten.
Nice that you have had a male and female to compare

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Ok hmmm. Cage related = YES. I was standing near his cage giving him scritches. Hubby was gone...so... must've been 11 a.m. I stopped for a moment and he sidled down to the end of the perch, which usually means "pick me up." I held my arm down for a step-up and he shuffled his feet around then BIT DOWN AND did the grind thing. Bait and switch! Dang it.

I turned my back on him and stood there while, you know, the pain floods you. Then I turned back around and said that wasn't nice. He just gave me an innocent look.
Hummm, try to think if there was any slight clue even though he voluntarily stepped up. This sounds like Max 4 years ago. He didn't really want to step up but I asked so he did and then there is a bite. I never thought there really was a sign but with practice and observation I started finding small clues in attitude. I really thought there was no clue. But every once in a while there really isn't a clue. Try a bite diary, trying to remember everything leading up. The comparison helps especially with rare bites.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Tiki had been spending most of her out time under the couch snuffling for a few days until I brought the baby gate down. She was frantic trying to get through so I figured I'd better check for eggs under there but luckily nothing. She hasn't laid any since I've had her (4.5 years) and I'd like to keep it that way. She did before I got her.
I need a baby gate for Max! Thanks!

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I let Hardy decide how and when he wants to be handled. Because of his missing foot, he can't really step up and perch like a normal parrot. He has to step into the flat of my palm. So, I say "Hardy wanna come out?" and lay my hand flat on the bottom of his cage, approx. one foot away from him. If he is interested, he'll say "Hardy come out!" and will rush over and jump into my palm.

If he says nothing, and won't approach my hand, I leave him alone. I've learned that if he is happy and excited to come out, he'll rush right over on the first request. And I never get bit when he wants to come out. If I keep asking, he gets annoyed and will rush over and bite - but his body language is obvious (fanned tail, dropped wing, crazy eyes).

Sometimes he will not want to come out of his cage for two or three weeks. I respect his decision and leave him alone. Now, he's not really "alone". Our tv is in the bird room, so he sees us sitting and watching tv every night, and the other birds are there too. He just stays in his home, and growls at us through the side of the cage. I have found that, when he's hormonal, he will often be willing to come out first thing in the morning. But by sunset, forget it. He's NOT a night owl. He's happy to just sit on his piece of driftwood and watch us.
You have superb bird skills. Hardy is lucky to have you as you are sensitive to his needs and how to communicate with him. I note he moved back to TV room. I think he used to be in your office.

I really enjoy Hardy stories on so many levels. So glad you are posting here

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
A hardy (no pun Hardy) thanks to all for participating in this thread. It has been informative and entertaining. This is why Pionus Pointe is great....shared experiences

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
@finchly Also is Ernie bonded to your husband? Max attacks Charlie as I am his mate. Could Erie attack you as your husband is his mate? Just throwing out ideas

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Nice that you have had a male and female to compare
They were both as stubborn as the day is long. They both loved to eat and were not picky. They both prefer to be nearby but not necessarily on their people.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@finchly Also is Ernie bonded to your husband? Max attacks Charlie as I am his mate. Could Erie attack you as your husband is his mate? Just throwing out ideas
Not at all. He's bonded to me. He attacks hubby.

edit: Except when he's attacking me! :rofl:

A bite diary is a great idea. I am keeping a sketch journal; maybe I will sketch in the bites and record the information there.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Not at all. He's bonded to me. He attacks hubby.

edit: Except when he's attacking me! :rofl:

A bite diary is a great idea. I am keeping a sketch journal; maybe I will sketch in the bites and record the information there.
Attacking hubby....Humm, do try to listen to the Good Bird Inc webinar I reference above. At least you know he loves you except when he bites you. LOL!!!

The bite diary worked for me. Look up Biting Matters by Jenny Drummey

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
You have superb bird skills. Hardy is lucky to have you as you are sensitive to his needs and how to communicate with him. I note he moved back to TV room. I think he used to be in your office.

I really enjoy Hardy stories on so many levels. So glad you are posting here
Thanks! Yes, Hardy used to be kept right next to my desk because my vet said that a "new world" parrot like a pionus shouldn't be kept with "old world" parrots like a CAG or the galahs. He said that the dust from the other 3 would cause respiratory problems, so I moved Hardy to my office. I kept him there for prob. 6 mos, but I could tell that he was sad and missed the company of the rest of the flock. When we moved to Texas, the bird room was 4 times the size of the old bird room, so I moved Hardy back in with the flock. And added two air filters to keep the air as clean as possible.

We've been in TX for 3 years now, and Hardy hasn't shown any respiratory issues at all.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd was at least 31 when he passed and ate peanuts most of his life, though we did buy raw, clean, in the shell health food peanuts. By the time I found out it was a bad thing he was already over 20 so figured why stop one of his great joys in life now, running down and begging for peanuts and nutri berries every evening. He never seemed to have any respiratory issues that I remember.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I'm going to opt for a bunch of shredables right now for my birds. it explains why someone has been using my lunch pail for a possible nesting site and the other one has been all agro... yay me.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
@cetan @Fuzzy @momazon any advice or stories on dealing with hormone surges?
And how is Kobe acting these days @Fuzzy still the same aggression every spring?
Have you find a solution perhaps? :)
Kobe is still "fiery" on occasion, but I have found that my own reaction either makes it worse or better. I have found that he responds very well to calmness and kindness. I have arranged things so I don't have to walk directly towards him which could provoke him flying at me. I have also noticed direct eye contact (especially when walking towards him) is a no-no. If he does puff up, lunge or fly at me, I will either duck or ignore and asap diffuse the situation when I have passed with a "huh" or other words he says when he's content. His mood mostly instantly calms.

What is interesting is that we have always had a touchy feely session in the evenings when I play and wrestle with him. "Hormones" never affect this time... which proves to me that they can be overcome.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch was a mood barometer so if he was pissy and I got pissy back he would just escalate to full battle mode very quickly, if I talked calmly he'd tend to calm down quickly as well. Of course some days he was just grumpy so best to leave him alone for a bit till he forgot and his mood improved.
Dobby is such a sweetheart he just tries to move away or ignore me when he thinks I'm mad and the worst he's done so far is a few very hard pinches and ferocious beakings.
The one who gets all his hormone surges is sister who he loves and still tries to woo. He also loves her to scritch him and finger wrestles with her like Nerd and I used to do without all the I'm going to kill you noises.