• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I can feel it coming....

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I didn't know P's become so agro when the seasons start for them. Is this usual behavior for them?

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I didn't know P's become so agro when the seasons start for them. Is this usual behavior for them?
From everything I know, yes for this time of year!!!!!

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Kobe is still "fiery" on occasion, but I have found that my own reaction either makes it worse or better. I have found that he responds very well to calmness and kindness. I have arranged things so I don't have to walk directly towards him which could provoke him flying at me. I have also noticed direct eye contact (especially when walking towards him) is a no-no. If he does puff up, lunge or fly at me, I will either duck or ignore and asap diffuse the situation when I have passed with a "huh" or other words he says when he's content. His mood mostly instantly calms.

What is interesting is that we have always had a touchy feely session in the evenings when I play and wrestle with him. "Hormones" never affect this time... which proves to me that they can be overcome.
I completely agree they respect and appreciate you for treating them with kindness even when they are grumpy. It helps a lot to stay calm. They are very observant beings and they notice your response.

Great to hear from you @Fuzzy!!!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I will keep that in mind when the time comes for us to add another fid to our flock.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I will keep that in mind when the time comes for us to add another fid to our flock.
Don't all birds have hormonal issues? My female cockateils did...flying biting attacks on me when hormonal but my best friend all other times. For that matter humans get hormonal too. Part of life and normal. Treat hormones accordingly and move on.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Females are much calmer. Tiki is a sweetie and is only a bit territorial when in a nesty spot. Her hormones are more in line with looking for a nest and mate but not aggressive.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I completely agree they respect and appreciate you for treating them with kindness even when they are grumpy. It helps a lot to stay calm. They are very observant beings and they notice your response.

Great to hear from you @Fuzzy!!!
Kindness and respect are an absolute must! But I've also discovered that I've really got to curb my enthusiasm sometimes! If I'm super giddy and excitable or singing crazing or dancing I think it spooks Leto. He prefers me to be calm and reserved :)

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
My female BH (14yrs) occasionally does a clucking mournful noise and she will climb to her cage top playpen area and start shredding the newspaper with a vengeance until I can distract her. She never has done anything else that appears sexual in nature and she is never nippy. This goes on for a month or two and then it is back to normal.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes! :) I was always kind to Eloy when he was angry at me, and try to not react at all more then to go into another room and close the door.
He learn very fast that he didn't get attention and that I didn't allow him to be with me if he was aggressive. And it did work.
5-10 minutes on his own, and after that he was kind again.

Females are much calmer. Tiki is a sweetie and is only a bit territorial when in a nesty spot. Her hormones are more in line with looking for a nest and mate but not aggressive.
My female BH (14yrs) occasionally does a clucking mournful noise and she will climb to her cage top playpen area and start shredding the newspaper with a vengeance until I can distract her. She never has done anything else that appears sexual in nature and she is never nippy. This goes on for a month or two and then it is back to normal.
Thanks for posting information about females. :)
I don't know what to expect so all information really helps.
How long have you had your females?

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Kindness and respect are an absolute must! But I've also discovered that I've really got to curb my enthusiasm sometimes! If I'm super giddy and excitable or singing crazing or dancing I think it spooks Leto. He prefers me to be calm and reserved :)
I agree. I stay calm. When I am not and excitedly chatting with them my two look me like I am crazy. The balanced response to their behaviour garners their respect and a wonderful mutual relationship

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
I have had my female for all 14 yrs. She is my only bird and she is very bonded to me. She does not like other people. When anyone comes over, she hides in the pup tent in her cage and will not come out. She talks to me, but not in front of anyone else. I have tried to socialize her, but she has no part of that. So I have learned to respect her wishes. Her one fault is that sometimes when I leave the room and she can't see me, she will sometimes start calling for me and if I don't come to her beck and call, she will start screaming this very loud tweet, tweet, tweet.... I have tried everything to make her stop- ignore it, yell at her, whatever and nothing so far has stopped the behavior. Luckily it doesn't happen every day. If I could break that, she would be the perfect bird.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I agree. I stay calm. When I am not and excitedly chatting with them my two look me like I am crazy. The balanced response to their behaviour garners their respect and a wonderful mutual relationship
Maybe that is why all my birds are generally mellow even during hormonal times. One of my coworkers once told me that if I was any more laid back, I would be comatose. This was following a horrible 1st half of a shift when I worked ER.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Gracie is using my lunch pail for her nesting area and it doesn't matter that I need it for work. So yeah the season is coming in my house. I think I need more shredables right about now like a phone book or something of that nature. She is becoming more aggressive towards my husband and lunged at him but gave me kisses so yeah batten down the hatches.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe that is why all my birds are generally mellow even during hormonal times. One of my coworkers once told me that if I was any more laid back, I would be comatose. This was following a horrible 1st half of a shift when I worked ER.
Lol! I'm glad you're not comatose :wideyed: But I'm sure your mellowness is a well appreciated trait (in many ways) :)

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Wish that were enough to make Max mellow in hormonal times and for Charlie never to scream

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I have had my female for all 14 yrs. She is my only bird and she is very bonded to me. She does not like other people. When anyone comes over, she hides in the pup tent in her cage and will not come out. She talks to me, but not in front of anyone else. I have tried to socialize her, but she has no part of that. So I have learned to respect her wishes. Her one fault is that sometimes when I leave the room and she can't see me, she will sometimes start calling for me and if I don't come to her beck and call, she will start screaming this very loud tweet, tweet, tweet.... I have tried everything to make her stop- ignore it, yell at her, whatever and nothing so far has stopped the behavior. Luckily it doesn't happen every day. If I could break that, she would be the perfect bird.
Sounds beyond lovely. Hugs

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
On average from this thread it sounds like the female reaction to hormonal surges in pionus is a bit easier, less aggressive, some nesting, some loud mating noise

Any egg binding or laying issues with females?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks for posting information about females. :)
I don't know what to expect so all information really helps.
How long have you had your females?

I have had Tiki 4.5 years and she was estimated to be about 9 or 10 at that time so about 15 now.

On average from this thread it sounds like the female reaction to hormonal surges in pionus is a bit easier, less aggressive, some nesting, some loud mating noise

Any egg binding or laying issues with females?

Tiki laid at least 1 egg before I got her but hasn't laid any since. They get about 11 hours of quiet darkness (with night lights) on work days and 13 hrs on weekends and holidays. I find this really helps reduce the nestiness. Quack (TAG) was shredding pretty much ALL of the paper in her cage every day before I moved them to a room with darker curtains. She still shreds but (*knock on wood*) none of my girls have laid any eggs since I've had them. :fingerscrossed:

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
No egg action here. I also will scratch her head and neck as much as she wants, but don't pet her body as I was informed that it could arouse her into sexual behavior. She displays none. She likes her sleep. She demands to be covered when it gets dark (currently 6:30) and doesn't get uncovered until I wake up around 8 or 9am. She is absolutely quiet in her cage. So she gets around 14 hours of sleep. Her cage is located in the living room so she does have the first 5 hours where the tv is on.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
How is Loki been doing?

So male pionus can have grouchy tempermental hormonal aggression?

Females are more even tempered?

I guess that would make me lean towards a female but then again I'd rather not have egg issues.

F pionus can certainly lay eggs but from the few I've read about it seems they are not abundant/chronic layers.

Still a male can never lay an egg but would have to deal with months of hormonal distance/ aggression....