• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I can feel it coming....

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I see the signs...it is coming...hormone season. Charlie is stepping up his chewing of whatever he can get his beak on (mainly wood toys and egg cartons, but my furniture and baseboards should look out) and Max seems like he is gearing up to be an attack bird again...unfortunately the target is Charlie. Nothing has happened yet. He closely watches Charlie getting affection from me and I can tell he would attack Charlie if he had a split second.

For the past 2 months under a close watchful eye from me Max has been allowed more freedom such as walking on floor with the opportunity to use Charlie''s ladder or his own (he chooses his own cage!). But I will end those excursions for several months. I got his wings clipped this week to prevent flying attacks of Charlie and I am gearing up to prevent any hormonal attacks on Charlie (Max is the one usually hurt though as he doesn't seem to notice he is much smaller than Charlie). Hopefully the next several months will be less intense than the past year as with each year his intensity lessens. But I can't let my guard down for a millisecond. It is very stressful as when I have turned my back while in a room upstairs with him he has run down the hallway and thrown himself down a flight of stairs to get to Charlie, for example. I plan to change their diets, less nuts for example as I understand certain foods can trigger hormones. I definitely can't let my guard down in any way.

Note to all, hormonal issues can be bad in "teenage" (1-8 years old) male pionus but I think my situation is exacerbated by having 2 male pionus. My only saving grace is only one is of "teenage" hormonal years. Max will be turning 5 in 2 months.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you!
I will check it out.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ouch! I can feel your stress! Hope it's a mild and short season!

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago. Hardy has become very moody and hands off, doing a slow pionus strut around his cage and growling at everyone. When I change out his food dishes, he charges me with full intention to bite. And he's moulting too, so he's extra untouchable. Hope it passes quickly!

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago. Hardy has become very moody and hands off, doing a slow pionus strut around his cage and growling at everyone. When I change out his food dishes, he charges me with full intention to bite. And he's moulting too, so he's extra untouchable. Hope it passes quickly!
Hello Hardy - Be nice to your mom and the rest of the flock. It is not their fault about the hormone fluctuations. Hugs to your wonderful mom! Happy New Year, SallyQZ. Wishing you the best with the season and the year.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby is busy chewing everything he can get his beak on and he is always trying to woo my sister so hard to tell but the signs here point to hormone season too. Right now just trying to keep him from chewing up everything in the kitchen and the house plants.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I see the signs...it is coming...hormone season.
I hope you will have a light season with your boys! :)
I have no idea of what to expect with having two girls and hormone season.
Eliy is still very young, but Akela is 2 years old in summer. Time flies!

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Suzanne, your MM2's are GORGEOUS!!!!! I use cardboard box therapy with my African Grey too - she will shred it up and make a nest and then abandon it. It seems to bring the hormonal cycle to an end, and everything is fine for another year. I know a lot of people discourage any type of hormonal or nesting behavior in their birds, but I find that it really helps Tonka to go through the entire cycle naturally.

Dawn, I think Hardy really enjoys being a hormonal curmudgeon, esp when my daughter tries to do anything with his food or cage papers. He terrifies her, then laughs like a fiend. I must admit that I grudgingly respect that kind of authority! Hahahahaha!!! But you are well aware of the terror of the hormonal pionus. :)

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Dobby is busy chewing everything he can get his beak on and he is always trying to woo my sister so hard to tell but the signs here point to hormone season too. Right now just trying to keep him from chewing up everything in the kitchen and the house plants.
I wish Hardy would try to woo me (or anyone in my family). He turns into a surly killing machine. He called me a b@stard the other day, and I didn't even know he knew that word! It's not a word that I use, or anyone in my family uses. Can't imagine where he learned it, but maybe it was just sounds that came out sounding like a curse.

:eeeek::scared5:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby knows how to talk but he prefers electronic noises and whistling. He isn't as prolific a talker as Lurch was but says hi, Dobby good boy, hello, I'm sure he knows more but that's his favorites here so far. I say thank you to him and what are you doing and he says hi Dobby in my voice now.
Will be interesting to see what else he picks up or just decides to finally say to us because I know Momazon has said all kinds phrases he used to like say.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I hope you will have a light season with your boys! :)
I have no idea of what to expect with having two girls and hormone season.
Eliy is still very young, but Akela is 2 years old in summer. Time flies!
I really think you will be fine with 2 girls. I really think it is male hormones that are more problematic with pionus.Thanks for well wishes. And yes, time does fly.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
BTW, The Good Bird Inc has an on demand webinar on hormonal birds that may be helpful to others. I find it insightful and instructive.
I highly recommend this...
Solutions for Parrot Behavior Problems Related to Hormones - Webinar.

I am listening again (had registered a year ago) and it is really helpful regarding things I can do. At least worth a try

@SallyQZ

Last edited:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I wish Hardy would try to woo me (or anyone in my family). He turns into a surly killing machine. He called me a b@stard the other day, and I didn't even know he knew that word! It's not a word that I use, or anyone in my family uses. Can't imagine where he learned it, but maybe it was just sounds that came out sounding like a curse.

:eeeek::scared5:
Wow no wooing....what''s the point of hormonal surges, Hardy my boy, if you do not woo? You are missing out on the fun! Much better than terrorizing everyone, unless of course you are possessed. Scary! LOL!

But seriously, perhaps it is good he doesn't woo as the response to the wooing can trigger more stuff. Have you tried target training Hardy?

Last edited:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Suzanne, your MM2's are GORGEOUS!!!!! I use cardboard box therapy with my African Grey too - she will shred it up and make a nest and then abandon it. It seems to bring the hormonal cycle to an end, and everything is fine for another year. I know a lot of people discourage any type of hormonal or nesting behavior in their birds, but I find that it really helps Tonka to go through the entire cycle naturally.

Dawn, I think Hardy really enjoys being a hormonal curmudgeon, esp when my daughter tries to do anything with his food or cage papers. He terrifies her, then laughs like a fiend. I must admit that I grudgingly respect that kind of authority! Hahahahaha!!! But you are well aware of the terror of the hormonal pionus. :)
Yes, really possessed! Arghhhh! Good luck

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I give Charlie tons of stuff to chew, despite that he still chews furniture etc but that is the only thing I really deal with regarding his hormone surge. So I agree with @SallyQZ on supplying stuff to chew. He does regurgitate a bit and I may try distracting him with other training like trying target training again. Embarrassed to admit I do not target train him which I know is basic but I have done other behavior training with him. But overall I can take his hormonal surges. Piece of cake

Max is another story. Not so much shredding but attacking. Going to try some tips from Good Bird Inc webinar. Such as discouraging his wooing with more behavior training. We used to target train and I am going back to that. Going to reward anything but the wooing. Plus a lower carb diet

Would love to hear any tips on solutions for hormone related behavior from those on AA

Last edited:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Watch it as some house plants are poisonous as I am sure you know. But overall Dobby''s hormones sound pretty good so far. Chewing is lesser of other evils. Hope it doesn't get worse. Nice to hear your new adventures with Dobby.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Dobby knows how to talk but he prefers electronic noises and whistling. He isn't as prolific a talker as Lurch was but says hi, Dobby good boy, hello, I'm sure he knows more but that's his favorites here so far. I say thank you to him and what are you doing and he says hi Dobby in my voice now.
Will be interesting to see what else he picks up or just decides to finally say to us because I know Momazon has said all kinds phrases he used to like say.
It has been fun seeing what words will pop out of Charlie, given he learned to speak with someone else. So I am sure it is the same fun with Dobby.

My experience is neither of my pionus say words they didn't say when they were young. After age 1 or so Max hasn't picked up new words. I remember someone on a pionus list serv telling me something similar.